Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Parkrun Griffeen

Options
  • 08-04-2013 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

We're working with the Parkrun organisation to get a west Dublin event up and running in the next few weeks to follow in the success of Malahide and Marlay. If anyone wants to learn more or get involved in the organising please post here or DM me. Any suggestions and comments will be welcomed.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

We're working with the Parkrun organisation to get a west Dublin event up and running in the next few weeks to follow in the success of Malahide and Marlay. If anyone wants to learn more or get involved in the organising please post here or DM me. Any suggestions and comments will be welcomed.

Cool, i live out beside there, wont be able to help out as have young kids but will drop down sometimes to support the runners.

Is the plan to run on the pathway in the park?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 UltraRunPaul

Hi, the plan is to run on the pathways, it will be approximately two laps of the park. When we get closer to the launch date I will drop you a line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Nedkelly24

count me on on this one!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Sweet, nice to have something local!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭vitani

I'd be interested in this one. Malahide & Marley Park are just a bit too far away from me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Bludub

I'm looking forward to this - coming from Nth Kildare Malahide and Marley would only be occasional trips

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭coalshed

I live locally so I'll be up for this and will hopefully be in a position to volunteer once in a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

yeay a parkrun that is close to celbridge

June 15th is the official start date. We may do a low key trial run on the 8th. Watch the boards and there will be a Facebook page coming soon!

Bludub wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to this - coming from Nth Kildare Malahide and Marley would only be occasional trips

Sounds like you could be a Parkrun tourist in the making!

• Advertisement

vitani wrote: »
    I'd be interested in this one. Malahide & Marley Park are just a bit too far away from me.

June 15th is the official start date. We may do a low key trial run on the 8th. Watch the boards and there will be a Facebook page coming soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Might have to try this out, it's probably more convenient for me than Malahide or Marlay!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

What time do you plan to kick these off at?

Like this idea maybe even a weekend to Cork coming up. Bank manager and missus are getting worried at the rate these things are setting up!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

Nice one, this is really handy for me just under 4 mile run to get there or a short drive.

What time do you plan to kick these off at?

Hi there

All Parkruns are off the blocks at 09:30 on a Saturday morning (some exceptions can apply). Griffeen will be starting 15 June. Watch this space, and Facebook, and parkrun.ie!

Hope to see you there!

Paul

09:30 every Saturday from 15th June! Hope to see you there.

Griffeen Valley Parkrun Facebook and Webpage now open! http://www.parkrun.ie/griffeen/

SDCC (sponsors of Griffeen Valley Parkrun) are holding a holding a "5k for a fiver" event in Corkagh Park this Sunday 26/05/13. Check it out here http://www.rambleaid.ie/ :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Shuttle666

Will miss the first one as signed up for www.10km4em.com down in Offaly on the 15th, but will have do the next few.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Just registered there. looking forward to it

Just registered there. looking forward to it
    Look forward to seeing you there. Any questions just let me know! We're on FB too https://www.facebook.com/griffeenvalleyparkrun

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

hope everyone has fun at the 1st run this morning was looking forward to it myself till work changed my shift so will have to wait to start park run

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Amigaman

Well done to all who took part in today's first Griffeen Parkrun ... Great turn-out and really well organized ... Big thanks to Paul and all those who gave of their time to help and organize...see you all again next week :-)

Echo that! I ran in the Griffeen Park run this morning. Great work by Paul, the volunteers and all others involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,399 ✭✭✭fletch

Great run this morning. Really positive atmosphere and everyone was really friendly. Surprisingly few people compared to the first marlay parkrun though. My Garmin had the course just over 5.2km though so don't think many PBs will be set here. I live in west Dublin so will make an effort to get to this parkrun more often.

Not to worry Scheister, we'll keep you a place next time! Make sure to say hi when you do get along.
    scheister wrote: »
    hope everyone has fun at the 1st run this morning was looking forward to it myself till work changed my shift so will have to wait to start park run

fletch wrote: »
    Great run this morning. Really positive atmosphere and everyone was really friendly. Surprisingly few people compared to the first marlay parkrun though. My Garmin had the course just over 5.2km though so don't think many PBs will be set here. I live in west Dublin so will make an effort to get to this parkrun more often.

Hi Fletch, thanks for the good words. The numbers were actually very good for an inaugural parkrun. Sydney had a new parkrun start in North Shore on the same Saturday and they had 74 (or so). Marlay was and remains an exception - it was the largest inaugural parkrun in the world - ever! It will be a while before it is bet!

We had to change the route slightly on the morning in two places and i reckon it added 100mtrs, we will make adjustments next week.

Make sure to say hello on Saturday!

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Duzzie

Quick question folks. Thinking of trying this parkrun tomorrow and was wondering how it compares with Marlay Park in terms of vertical alignment. Is this course flatter or hillier that the Marlay Park course?

Thanks in advance,

Duzzie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭macinalli

Duzzie wrote: »
    Quick question folks. Thinking of trying this parkrun tomorrow and was wondering how it compares with Marlay Park in terms of vertical alignment. Is this course flatter or hillier that the Marlay Park course?

Thanks in advance,

Duzzie

I haven't run Marlay, but I'm going to say flatter! Griffeen is a 2 lap course and the only hill is a slight drag at the end of the lap. It's a tester, but no more than that. Really nice atmosphere at the Griffeen run - I'd say it's well worth a shot.

Advertisement