Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Your own students getting grinds.

• 08-04-2013 9:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭

Just wondering what you all feel about this? A few teachers in my school get quite offended when they know their students are getting grinds and others aren't bothered at all.

One of my leaving certs just told me today he is getting grinds since the Easter holidays. I was a bit surprised but didn't take it personally as I know others who have taken it as so in same situation. Just interested to hear opinions

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

gagiteebo wrote: »
    Just wondering what you all feel about this? A few teachers in my school get quite offended when they know their students are getting grinds and others aren't bothered at all.

One of my leaving certs just told me today he is getting grinds since the Easter holidays. I was a bit surprised but didn't take it personally as I know others who have taken it as so in same situation. Just interested to hear opinions

I would not be offended at all. The more help the better. In my subject (home ec) the students don't bother with grinds. But I would always encourage the students to go one the revision courses if possible at least they are doing something over the holidays and I would always be interested in the feedback from those that go. What drives me crazy is when I hear about the usual suspects, (late for class, no pen & book that treat class time as a social outing) getting grinds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Millem wrote: »
    I would not be offended at all. The more help the better. In my subject (home ec) the students don't bother with grinds. But I would always encourage the students to go one the revision courses if possible at least they are doing something over the holidays and I would always be interested in the feedback from those that go. What drives me crazy is when I hear about the usual suspects, (late for class, no pen & book that treat class time as a social outing) getting grinds.

+1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

Millem wrote: »
    What drives me crazy is when I hear about the usual suspects, (late for class, no pen & book that treat class time as a social outing) getting grinds.

this....not offended at all but its amazing the amount of the above cohort that are getting them

imo a large number of kids getting grinds wouldn't need them if they actually made a proper effort in class rather than treat it as a social outing the large majority of the time

and yet after the constant lateness, arguments when corrected, no books, no copies, no homework and no patience they will probably be the ones to blame the teacher or the school or come swanning back in after an hour where they actually had no other choice but to listen telling you the stuff is easy :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Rioghain

I remember my maths teacher getting very upset when I told him I was getting grinds. He thought he wasn't doing enough for me as a teacher and offered to put in some extra work with me. In fact he was an amazing teacher, I just struggled with maths. However I felt so bad at his reaction that I didn't get the grinds and with his help I did very well at higher level maths in my Leaving Cert.

With regard to my own students, if they think they would benefit from extra help, that is a personal choice.

I am currently giving a grind to a transition year student, whose teacher told his parents that he needed grinds. I don' think I would ever say that directly to a parent. Grinds can be costly and it's not fair to put that pressure on them.

Advertisement