Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long for cruciate ligament to heal?

• 08-04-2013 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭

Our poor lad was limping so brought him to the vet who said it was his cruciate ligament and would have to have surgery. It's about 8 weeks since the surgery and he's still limping quite badly and isn't able to finish even a short walk.

We've had him down to the vets twice since and he said everything is fine and didn't seem too worried.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this surgery and how long it takes for the doggy to get back on their feet? My parents usually walk our two twice a day every day and are finding it hard leaving poor Henry behind while they take the other fella out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Our poor lad was limping so brought him to the vet who said it was his cruciate ligament and would have to have surgery. It's about 8 weeks since the surgery and he's still limping quite badly and isn't able to finish even a short walk.

We've had him down to the vets twice since and he said everything is fine and didn't seem too worried.

Just wondering if anyone else has experience of this surgery and how long it takes for the doggy to get back on their feet? My parents usually walk our two twice a day every day and are finding it hard leaving poor Henry behind while they take the other fella out.
    It can take months, but that's as long as you followed the healing process properly.
    Did you crate rest for at least 6 weeks then gradually introduce exercise?
    If you don't do this you run serious risk of causing long term damage and hindering the healing process.
    What operation did your dog have on the leg?
    To be honest, your dog shouldn't be going on short walks after 8 weeks. My dog was on strict crate rest for 6 weeks then gradually introduced exercise on lead for the next 2 months. That was on lead, no off lead walks at all.
    It sounds like you might have rushed the healing process to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

My friend's Border Collie did his cruciate, not once but twice! :eek:. Not only did it cost them a small fortune (even with insurance), but it took a hellish long time to heal. I think Buddy's last one took about 18 months to heal properly.

Sounds as if your doggy needs more time. And lay off the walks for a while longer. Only let him out (on a lead) to do his business, and that's it.

Do you have insurance? Some hydrotherapy would do the dog a world of good too!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Do you know what method the vets used?
    My dog had operations on his back legs similar to a TPLO.. He was allowed off lead after 12 weeks but this was after 4 weeks of full time crate rest and another 2 or 3 of phasing the crate out. I started walking him again after 5 weeks - starting at 10 mins and increasing every few days if he was able for it.
    It sounds like your dog isn't ready for walks yet though :( If he's limping around the house too I'd be looking at crating him again and would definitely hold off waking him for a couple of weeks. Did the vet give any painkillers for him?
    It is tough leaving them behind but it's for their own good - you have to think of the bigger picture here. He'll run the risk of damaging the other cruciate if he continues like this tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

My oversized pom did his about three moths ago and is still limping.
    He's getting hydrotherapy once a week on the vets recomendation and its really starting to work now. I also have a friend who is an osteo for animals and she gave me gentle exercises to do.

It does take time to heal but ask your vet if there is anything you can do to strengthen the leg. Each injury is different I suppose

Advertisement