Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

j1 visa enquiry

Options
  • 08-04-2013 9:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all, im going to New York for the summer to work in the construction industry.
    I was planning go over there on the 90 day holiday visa and then work illegally. I know its not the best option but its far cheaper than a J1 but am now considering to apply to the US embassy for a J1 visa. Can you work in construction with a J1. Any advice on what would be the best option would be grateful.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

If you are a student you should definitely get a J1. If the Americans catch you working illegally you'll get deported and will probably get some kind of a ban from the US. It could interfere with any legal opportunity you get to move to the US in the future. It's really not worth the hassle for the sake of the price of the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Bigman87

If you are a student you should definitely get a J1. If the Americans catch you working illegally you'll get deported and will probably get some kind of a ban from the US. It could interfere with any legal opportunity you get to move to the US in the future. It's really not worth the hassle for the sake of the price of the visa.

I know what your saying that its not worth the hassle, but I have been told that you cant work in construction with the J1. Do you know if its true? I will hopefully be set up with a job by a friend in construction by the time I arrive out there

Advertisement