Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Garda said I need to get an Irish driver's license?

• 08-04-2013 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I'm a resident of Ireland for many years now but still use my full EU (Sweden) driver's license which is still valid and will be for quite a number of more years.

Today I was in a Garda station and used my licence to ID myself. The Garda behind the counter said I would have to exchange it for an Irish one and that he would make a note of it. He gave me six months to do it, he said.

Now, I was under the impression that as long as my EU licence is valid I can keep driving on it indefinitely? I am under no obligation to swap?

Citizeninfo seems to say "if you wish" but there doesn't seem to be an obligation.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

Oh, and I don't mind doing it but I'd rather not fork out the dosh for something I don't have to.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Holders of licences issued by an EU/EEA member state

If you have a driving licence issued by an EU/EEA member state you can drive in Ireland as long as your existing licence is valid. If you wish to exchange your driving licence for an equivalent Irish driving licence, you must do so within 10 years of your driving licence expiring.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/travel_and_recreation/motoring_1/driver_licensing/exchanging_foreign_driving_permit.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

So you're agreeing with me in that I do not need to change it?

The young Garda said I needed to change it after staying in Ireland for 12 months, I think he got a foreign licence confused with a foreign car lol

Hm, now I see this
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Holders-of-foreign-licenses/
    As a visitor to Ireland you can driver on a driving licence from any state outside the EU/EEA for up to a year provided the driving licence is current and valid. However on taking up ‘normal residence’ in Ireland you must either exchange your driving licence or apply for a driving licence in Ireland. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.
    Seems to be conflicting with citizen info.

Can someone clarify?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

You're right. The Gard is wrong.

I've had the same thing happen to me, Gard tried to tell me my UK licence wasn't valid to drive here. I told it it was and gave him the sheet from Citizen's Info.

Personally I would have believed the citizens info page but after seeing your RSA link I'd be more inclined to believe them.

• Advertisement

Should've read further down the page, Biko. About halfway down:

TEXT

Holders of licences issued by an EU/EEA member state

If you have a driving licence issued by an EU/EEA member state you can drive in Ireland as long as your existing licence is valid. If you wish to exchange your driving licence for an equivalent Irish driving licence, you must do so within 10 years of your driving licence expiring.
    END OF TEXT

Ok so they both say "wish to exchange", 50 euro and some hassle saved *fingers crossed*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭Chemical Burn

AFAIK, exchanges and updating address / name /categories are FOC

I wouldn't bother. The law says I do not have to exchange my UK licence as long as it's valid, so I'm not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭JanneG

As a fellow Swede, I can confirm that the Gardai was incorrect as you hold a valid EU license. As long as it is not expired you are under no obligation to replace it. I have even had my Swedish license renewed while in Ireland and collected it from the Embassy (while it was still here...)

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Hm, now I see this
    http://www.rsa.ie/en/RSA/Licensed-Drivers/Driving-licence/Holders-of-foreign-licenses/

Can someone clarify?
    The section you quoted is for non-EU/EEA:
    As a visitor to Ireland you can driver on a driving licence from any state outside the EU/EEA for up to a year provided the driving licence is current and valid. However on taking up ‘normal residence’ in Ireland you must either exchange your driving licence or apply for a driving licence in Ireland. You are considered to be normally resident in Ireland if, because of personal and occupational ties, you usually live here for at least 185 days in each calendar year.

I'd say you're in the right here. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 259 ✭✭maneno

Hm, now I see this

Can someone clarify?
    That applies to non eu/eea members, say someone from uganda,philippines etc, can drive with their home licences upto 1yr of residence, after that they yave to get an irish dl

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Hm, now I see this

Can someone clarify?

Nothing conflicting here, read it again..

The garda is wrong, you do not need to exchange the licence as long as its from an EU/EEA country and is valid. :)

It's amazing how many of the Gardai don't know how the law works in relation to EU licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭kravmaga

It is amazing how many Gardai around the country had recorded the same details of a Polish national for committing road traffic offences around the country, even had a warrant issued for said arrest of this individual.

Turns out that when Garda officers were stopping Polish nationals resident in Ireland for road offences they recorded the incorrect information from Polish driving licence cards provided by drivers and recorded not the name of the driver but a completely different section from the card as it was in the Polish language.

Lots of summones issued for an individual who doesnt even exist, now thats just embarrassing and lack of training.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭paulgalway

Driving on UK licence here (Galway) for nearly 30 yrs.

Often looked at by Garda, never any questions raised about it.

If I was you Biko and this had me worried I'd ring or call into the station and ask for someone higher up than the Garda you dealt with yesterday. 6 months down the line and that Garda will issue a summons and it'll mean you having to miss work and pay for representation.

Then if it turns out were all wrong and he's right you've been knowingly driving with no licence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 707 ✭✭✭jeepers101

ken wrote: »
    If I was you Biko and this had me worried I'd ring or call into the station and ask for someone higher up than the Garda you dealt with yesterday.

Gardai are not experts in the law.

jeepers101 wrote: »
    Gardai are not experts in the law.
    True, but talking to someone higher up might pre-empt the summons coming Biko's way.

Thanks, I rang Mill street and the duty sergeant said I was not obligated to swap so I'll keep motoring away on my full EU licence. He wasn't sure what the desk Garda had meant but said not to worry :)
    I suppose when my current licence runs out I can swap then.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭josvill2010

Around 10 years ago the legislation was changed and you are not longer required to change your driving licence as long as it is issued in any of the EU countries

• Registered Users Posts: 26 derekohara

Same happened to me. Got stopped on My Spanish license that I got when my Irish one expired while living in Spain and I was told abruptly by a young female Garda who was unreasonable in every way she possibly could be and her final words to me were "get your license changed to an Irish one". Under what section of a road offense act in law is she asking me to change my license? If I'm not breaking any law what can she do?? If I'm ever asked to change my license again I'm going to ask where am I breaking a law (name the law) and I will post here what answer I get. Touch wood I won't be stopped again but I'll be ready with the question if I am.;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

derekohara wrote: »
    Same happened to me. Got stopped on My Spanish license that I got when my Irish one expired while living in Spain and I was told abruptly by a young female Garda who was unreasonable in every way she possibly could be and her final words to me were "get your license changed to an Irish one". Under what section of a road offense act in law is she asking me to change my license? If I'm not breaking any law what can she do?? If I'm ever asked to change my license again I'm going to ask where am I breaking a law (name the law) and I will post here what answer I get. Touch wood I won't be stopped again but I'll be ready with the question if I am.;-)

Maybe assault, or drugs charges. Who will the judge believe :D

Advertisement