Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting back my license

• 08-04-2013 10:08pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

I guess its coming to the point where I can finally get a motorbike and soon I'll graduate from college and hopefully should have a job to finally be able to afford one!

My question is I got my learner license in A category back in 2009. But then because I never got a motorbike, the license expired sometime and I never renewed it. Now if I wanna get back the licence, with the new categories and the CBT and all, will I have to do the theory test again or can I still renew my old learning license??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

You can simply renew as it has to be expired 5 years for it to be invalid. If you're over 24 apply for the unrestricted A LP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

So I can apply for the unrestricted A license straight away even through my learner license was the old restricted A license?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭Soundman

So I can apply for the unrestricted A license straight away even through my learner license was the old restricted A license?

From my understanding, yes you can, but you would need to do the IBT Conversion Module 5 first. What you could do is what I am doing as I am on the old A Learner Permit. Do my test and get the Full A2, then whenever down the line do the conversion course and get the full A without the need for another test.

Well I'm over 24yrs of age now so I guess I can get straightaway the unrestricted A license. I'ld love to buy a Ducati Monster 696 but they're quite expensive so I suppose I'll pick up a Ninja 250r (which is what I always wanted as my first bike) and learn on that until I can save up enough to buy a Ducati Monster and then pass my test on the Monster.

I got my learner A licence before the CBT came out so do I still need to do the CBT or can I get away with it? I suppose it doesn't make much difference for me as I'll probably end up taking lessons anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Well I'm over 24yrs of age now so I guess I can get straightaway the unrestricted A license. I'ld love to buy a Ducati Monster 696 but they're quite expensive so I suppose I'll pick up a Ninja 250r (which is what I always wanted as my first bike) and learn on that until I can save up enough to buy a Ducati Monster and then pass my test on the Monster.

I got my learner A licence before the CBT came out so do I still need to do the CBT or can I get away with it? I suppose it doesn't make much difference for me as I'll probably end up taking lessons anyway.

If you are taking the unrestricted A LP, yes you will need the full IBT, however if you just renew your old LP than you will not be asked for one AFAIK.

Regarding the Ninja 250r, just be aware that with the 250cc bike you will no longer be able to do a test under any category which might be pain in the back side.

And on a small side note in the UK it is CBT, in Ireland it is IBT. Just FYI as it might give you wrong details if you search for information on-line.

• Advertisement

Peanut2011 wrote: »
    If you are taking the unrestricted A LP, yes you will need the full IBT, however if you just renew your old LP than you will not be asked for one AFAIK.

Regarding the Ninja 250r, just be aware that with the 250cc bike you will no longer be able to do a test under any category which might be pain in the back side.

And on a small side note in the UK it is CBT, in Ireland it is IBT. Just FYI as it might give you wrong details if you search for information on-line.

Thanks for the clarification.

If I simply renew my license and get the old LP, how would I be able to get the unrestricted A license on it later when I can afford to buy a bigger bike and do my test?

I suppose it'll be best to simply get the unrestricted A LP and then do the IBT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Peanut2011

Thanks for the clarification.

If I simply renew my license and get the old LP, how would I be able to get the unrestricted A license on it later when I can afford to buy a bigger bike and do my test?

I suppose it'll be best to simply get the unrestricted A LP and then do the IBT.

If you renew your old lp you would get new lp A2. Options to you are, you either do test on A2 and when you want after you passed it you do IBT including module5 and instructor can sign off on full A (no more tests) or you can apply for A lp straight away and do your IBT now before you are allowed on the road and do your test on A license. One thing to remember, the rules for tests will be changing again in September.

Advertisement