Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peaky Blinders - BBC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

fin12 wrote: »
    Was the fella who played the priest in Derry Girls in it last night?

Yup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

PB has basically fallen prey to the same rigamarole as every other TV series, the one reason TV despite having comparable production values and talent, will neve match film as an art form:

TV's main goal is simply to keep viewers locked into watching the next episode. So it's endless cliffhangers and bringing back popular characters, continuity or realism be damned.

Ending the series with Tommy having a gun to his own head. Pointless. Everyone knows he's the star and isn't going to die until, if at all, the very final episode. They already had a cliffhanger like this, with everyone literally about to be hanged.

I'll still watch because basically I always have an hour to kill on a Sunday but I really don't care about what happens they've just dragged it out and tarnished it like most TV shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Def the worst season to date imo. I watched it because I felt I had to having stuck with it but the season did nothing to keep me intrigued. Tapping into the political storylines is a mistake imo, moved the show too far away from what made it great. I realised after the end of the episode I actually didn't care who spoiled the plan. Is it Michael? Is it football tipster? Meh.

Instead of decent storytelling all the focus seems to be on wide angle shots of people walking out of fog/smoke or 'subtext' style set pieces like Tommy shooting the horse.

I will probably watch Season 6, but it's not something I'll be looking forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,258 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Every time I see Brian Gleeson act, I am more and more convinced that he only got where he is on his father's reputation. The portrayal of his character was terrible. Couldn't take it seriously at all. As for having Jojo from Raw cameo as an IRA commander or what ever she was meant to be when Michael was abducted, what was the point in that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

The latest season of PB was so bad the producers owe me 6hrs of my life back. Hope that the global warming will destroy us all fast before they get a chance to make another rubbish episode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Stratvs

Oh my, how the mighty have fallen. Was that really Alfie Solomons who came out of the shower thinking the last season was all a dream? Maybe give Tom Hardy his own show and sack the rest. (I’ll forgive him his lines in this one).

I watched the 3 seasons of Top Boy since the disappointment of PB season 5. Was great to watch a straight forward and gritty gangland series, none of the over the top self importance and pompous indulgence that was the running theme of PB season 5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,399 ✭✭✭Homelander

I always though Peaky Blinders was over-rated from the start but it was still a decent show, it's just gone absurdly bad now. I actually didn't hate the last season like most others seem to have, thought it was miles better than this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,421 ✭✭✭weemcd

I'd like to know why all the people who hate this show so much still continue to watch...

I thought season 4 was fantastic. Thought that Adrien Brody really nailed it as the mafia boss from New York. And it was a straight forward story about rival gangs out to get each other.
    Season 5 on the other hand was just awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

weemcd wrote: »
    I'd like to know why all the people who hate this show so much still continue to watch...

Often thought this myself of any TV show. If i start watching a show & don't like it after a season for example I'll not bother with continuing to watch & will move on to something else. I've literally dropped loads of TV shows after 2 or 3 episodes if they did nothing for me, never understood people complaining about multiple seasons being 'poor' or 'rubbish' surely if its not your cup of tea you simply stop watching rather than put yourself through season after season of something you dont like?? That or some people have way too much time on their hands.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Den of Geek has an article about the hidden messages in the series 5 sets. It includes a list of Easter Eggs and Trivia.

https://www.denofgeek.com/uk/tv/peaky-blinders/67639/peaky-blinders-the-hidden-messages-in-the-series-5-sets

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Awaiting the inevitable plotline where Shelby and the lads go to Munich to do business with some guy called Adolf.

Ha!

https://www.joe.ie/movies-tv/how-season-6-of-peaky-blinders-could-introduce-the-most-evil-person-in-the-history-of-the-world-683746

Also, Tommy's failure to assassinate Mosley now means that he has to become a more 'reluctant ally' with the leader of the leader of the British Union of Fascists.

Knight has consistently said that he plans on ending the show when WWII is declared and the first air sirens are heard (1939). The wedding between Mosley and Mitford took place in 1936.

By this logic, it's entirely possible that Tommy Shelby could cross paths with the personification of pure evil, Adolf Hitler, at Mosley's wedding.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,117 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• For the best. Much better that a show goes out on top rather than overstays its welcome and I think recent series have already seen that decline.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I think I only got a halfway through season 5, if I remember correctly it turned into an incoherent mess of style over substance

• Registered Users Posts: 4,000 ✭✭✭trashcan

Wonder will they stick to the plan of bringing it up to the outbreak of WW2.

There is talk of a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 10,260 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Funnily enough, the change across to bbc1 from bbc2 brought a change to it that hasn't made it quite as 'gritty' as it was previously (for want of a better description) but I vaguely remember them saying 6 seasons was always the plan so there's no real surprise in that announcement.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I think it began to lose its way with Tommy’s move into politics tbh. It felt forced and a bit unlikely. Should have kept him as a straightforward gangster. There had to be other ways to reflect the politics of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭505_

trashcan wrote: »
    I think it began to lose its way with Tommy’s move into politics tbh. It felt forced and a bit unlikely. Should have kept him as a straightforward gangster. There had to be other ways to reflect the politics of the time.

Yeah I also feel this is where the series dropped off a bit. Like you've said quite an unlikely scenario. Hopefully it can finish on a great season.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

I think I only got a halfway through season 5, if I remember correctly it turned into an incoherent mess of style over substance
    Hmm, I'm ready for season 5, but this and other reports don't fill me with too much hope. I've found some episodes were quite turgid and difficult to get through, especially season 3, but I did manage to stick with it. There wasn't as much offscreen plotting in season 4 and several loose ends were tied up. With the announcement of the final season, I feel a duty to see it out!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,271 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2021/0416/1210350-peaky-blinders-star-helen-mccroy-dies-aged-52/

Such a shame, prayers and thoughts are with her family and friends. RIP

Sadly wonder what that will mean for the series now ? Think the new series has been filmed already

Birneybau wrote: »
    Helen McRory of Peaky Blinders and many many more passed away, cancer.

Her husband Damian Lewis just tweeted it.

Terrible.

https://mobile.twitter.com/lewis_damian/status/1383081853914128388

RIP

Polly was both terrifying and loving as a character

Heard that on the news this evening. Only 52. Shocking. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭brian_t

Season 5 was awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60,546 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Final season starts tomorrow at 9pm.

Advertisement