Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian Holiday Visa?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 12:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭

Just a quick question regarding the holiday visa.
    I plan on entering canada under a standard holiday visa.
    I figured no point in wasting my IEC visa whilst i can search for a job using the holiday visa.
    Anyone know how long I am allowed stay in Canada under the holiday visa?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

Up to 6 months. But you'd better have a return flight coz if they suspect you're there looking for a job you'll be on the first plane back

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭dealhunter1985

is it possible to enter canada on the holiday visa, leave and return on the same holiday visa if within the 6 month duration?

You don't need a holiday visa to enter canada if you're irish as such. You're allowed to stay for 6 months at a time a filter entering, assuming the immigration gut let's you in

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭meelyb

COYVB wrote: »
    Up to 6 months. But you'd better have a return flight coz if they suspect you're there looking for a job you'll be on the first plane back

I booked my flight one way - assuming I'd have had my LOI already but im still waiting. I figured though even if it was delayed for whatever reason, I could still enter as a tourist and just not work. People take time off work to go travelling (and on one way flights) was my reasoning ... so im wondering where are you getting your info from COYB? Personal experience? It seems overly negative rather than cautious. From my understanding customs/immigration is hit and miss anyway. While I am worried I might get stopped as my luggage size will be for relocating- not a holiday size,it's not like I'd be lying to customs. The airport/immigration website states:
    If you arrive at YVR and you are immigrating to Canada or coming to study or work with a visa, you must report to Immigration upon your arrival.

I don't have any intention to work unless I can do so legally and I will have enough saved to see some of Canada and treat my arrival honestly as a holiday.

Just to add my post isn't meant as criticism for you COYB! Its more to show others a different view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭bopper

meelyb wrote: »
    I booked my flight one way - assuming I'd have had my LOI already but im still waiting. I figured though even if it was delayed for whatever reason, I could still enter as a tourist and just not work. People take time off work to go travelling (and on one way flights) was my reasoning ... so im wondering where are you getting your info from COYB? Personal experience? It seems overly negative rather than cautious. From my understanding customs/immigration is hit and miss anyway. While I am worried I might get stopped as my luggage size will be for relocating- not a holiday size,it's not like I'd be lying to customs. The airport/immigration website states:
    If you arrive at YVR and you are immigrating to Canada or coming to study or work with a visa, you must report to Immigration upon your arrival.

I don't have any intention to work unless I can do so legally and I will have enough saved to see some of Canada and treat my arrival honestly as a holiday.

Just to add my post isn't meant as criticism for you COYB! Its more to show others a different view.

I don't think it's being negative at all I think having a return flight before you go is just the sensible thing to do. I really wouldn't think it's worth the risk of not being let in when you get there.

As you said yourself immigration is always hit and miss, you don't know what kind of person you're going to get. I've entered Australia, New Zealand and the US just for holidays and never got asked for proof of my return flight, but I did get asked how long I was staying in the country for each time. I doubt Canada will be any different.

If they ask you how long you're staying for and you say you don't know then they're obviously going to be suspicious. If you lie and say you're only there for a few weeks and then they ask for proof of a return flight which you don't have they'll be even more suspicious.

You'll also need to leave the country anyway and re-enter it to activate your work permit, you can't activate it while you're there on holiday, so why not just buy an open ended return? Or at the very least buy a refundable return flight. It'll cost a bomb but you'll get your money back anyway if you don't use it.

• Advertisement

Book a bus from Toronto to New York return for about a month after you arrive in Canada. When asked how long you're staying for, tell them you're there for a month, then you're going to New York and going to check out some of America before maybe taking in the west cost of Canada. If you have a bus ticket booked (only about a hundred quid), then your story is backed up

I agree with your advice COYVB, mine was just coming from someone who had already booked a one way flight and what my options are now! I know others in boards have done the same and are nervous. However, if anyone is reading and is thinking of doing the same- as COYVB soundly says, just don't. Honestly, not worth the stress for me now. I booked them when people had been getting LOI/POEs back in Feb/March. The new delays I don't think anyone saw coming. So I have decided though to go to Canada anyway! Even if I got refused the work permit for some bizarre reason. I have booked a flight for the summer and I have all my savings so I shall be holidaying honestly is what I meant! I;m not going to let a summer flight go to waste. Plus, if I have to apply again next year at least I have been to the visit the country I plan on moving to :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19 octo7

There is no chance in hell they will let you into Canada on a one-way flight with no work permit. Air Transat warn about this in the small print on their website.

octo7 wrote: »
    There is no chance in hell they will let you into Canada on a one-way flight with no work permit. Air Transat warn about this in the small print on their website.

lovely.

Not about 'lovely' it's about fact. An Irish man with a one-way flight to Toronto without a work permit or POE letter will be refused entry to the country, there's no question about it. I've flown in and out of Canada six times on Holiday Visas, even WITH a return ticket, no sane customs officer will let you in to the country if you don't have proof of insurance for the exact length of your stay. In November 2011, I almost didn't get into the country even WITH a return ticket AND insurance, I had to provide details of where I was staying and they called my friends over there to make sure I had free accommodation, btw I had 3000 dollars on me plus I have a good record of entering and leaving the country without overstaying. How do you think they'll treat someone going for the first time on a one-way ticket? They won't let you in. I don't think it's even legal to let people in on a one-way, otherwise Air Transat wouldn't warn about it on their site.

So yeah, you're coming across rather foolish by calling people 'negative' for telling you the truth, it's also idiotic to assume they will let you in when they obviously won't. Unless you have a return ticket and insurance and a place to stay, plus people to vouch for you, good luck getting in. Toronto and the rest of Canada is swarming with illegal Irish workers now, customs are not idiots and extra careful since the recession hit.

• Advertisement

Not about 'lovely' it's about fact. An Irish man with a one-way flight to Toronto without a work permit or POE letter will be refused entry to the country, there's no question about it. I've flown in and out of Canada six times on Holiday Visas, even WITH a return ticket, no sane customs officer will let you in to the country if you don't have proof of insurance for the exact length of your stay. In November 2011, I almost didn't get into the country even WITH a return ticket AND insurance, I had to provide details of where I was staying and they called my friends over there to make sure I had free accommodation, btw I had 3000 dollars on me plus I have a good record of entering and leaving the country without overstaying. How do you think they'll treat someone going for the first time on a one-way ticket? They won't let you in. I don't think it's even legal to let people in on a one-way, otherwise Air Transat wouldn't warn about it on their site.

So yeah, you're coming across rather foolish by calling people 'negative' for telling you the truth, it's also idiotic to assume they will let you in when they obviously won't. Unless you have a return ticket and insurance and a place to stay, plus people to vouch for you, good luck getting in. Toronto and the rest of Canada is swarming with illegal Irish workers now, customs are not idiots and extra careful since the recession hit.

Eh, I don't think you got my point. If you see my posts- I warned others not to book a one-way flight as I had. So I meant, for those who have already booked a one-way flight, i personally would not be wasting my flight. I would use it and at least I had savings to go on holiday. I would obviously be arranging some sort of onward journey or a return then. I was thinking of visting family in Chicago. I have friends I am staying with in Vancouver as it is. I would not arrange anything more until the last minute tho incase the permit came through... BUT, I rang the CIC office late Friday our time and was told I was approved on their system (i will post more details on the Megathread). So the issue I now have is that I don't have any written proof. Are you going to go off on one about that?

There are (positive) ways of saying things. And there are (positive)ways of looking at things. Being positive and looking for a solution/alternative is more helpful. People use Boards for help. A fact is a fact, yes. It is not a fact that you will get stopped entering canada a tourist. My sister did it when she was travelling the Americas. She entered Vancouver on a one way ticket. Equally so, I would not say it is FACT that you will not get stopped. Aggressive fact opinion online amounts to an internet troll. Especially calling me idiotic and foolish for offering my view. I know how I would rather come across. Maybe us females are less suspicious looking at Customs/Immigration.Or maybe, just maybe not a fact, you get stopped at Customs walking around with that lovely attitude. I use Boards to give and recieve advice, not to be abused or lectured at.

I look on it as a positive to be told not to waste your time flying somewhere when you won't get in. I'm done with you because you're quite irritating and naive. I deal in facts, not speculation.

I've flown in and out of Canada six times on Holiday Visas, even WITH a return ticket, no sane customs officer will let you in to the country if you don't have proof of insurance for the exact length of your stay. In November 2011, I almost didn't get into the country even WITH a return ticket AND insurance, I had to provide details of where I was staying and they called my friends over there to make sure I had free accommodation

No offense, honestly, but you must look a bit dodgy or something. I'm here since 2009 and have never been asked for insurance or anything like that, and I've never had any issue going in with no return flight (although I do fly quite a bit on business which probably has something to do with that).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 ardgord12

hi guys, im just wondering, i was too late to apply for a working holiday visa for this summer. My father works over there full time and is there any way i can go over and work for a few months? is there any work permit i can get without having secured a job beforehand? thanks

Advertisement