Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Software Defined Networking career prospects?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 2:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭

I'm a recent grad from software development. I've been lucky enough to have been offered two positions recently and I'm struggling to pick between the two. One is a typical standard graduate software developer job with a big company using Java etc... The other job is initially only a short term contract, fairly researched based and in the area of Software Defined Networking, data centres, openflow etc....

The second job sounds very interesting, I'm just wondering would I have much difficulty finding another position in the same area afterwards? I imagine this stuff is gaining popularity all the time, but I don't really have any experience in the area and I'm wondering would I get sufficient experience in a year to get another position afterwards and if there are many positions in Ieland? A quick google search doesn't yield many results. If any could lend some input I'd be very grateful! I'm kind of torn here and I need to make a decision fairly soon. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭BGozIE

Having graduated 2 years ago and been working in a big IT company since, my limited experience is, from both my friends and colleagues who started with me and have sinced moved on, a lot of employers wont nail you too an "area" based on the first 1-2/3 years of your employment. So what I mean is, if you do the more interesting job now and it only lasts one year, you may not get another in that area, but you will have built up a nice background even if its not development related, it will stand to you in other ways (even if its the ability to effectively work in a team, research, the newer technologies you will learn about etc). So other routes will still be open and if anything you will be more attractive to employers. I know that the nature of development is - it is easy to forget and if you are not doing it for awhile you can forget stuff. But if you got offered a development job now with 0 experience, you will only be more attractive after a year or two in the industry.

Also, if you find it interesting, chances are future employers will also, whether it be in that area or not.

That's my view but I don't want to sway you in anyway, ultimately both options are good, as its a job at the end of the day.

Advertisement