Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for the free pre school year.

Options
  • 09-04-2013 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭

My daughter will be starting pre school in September this year. Does anyone know how to apply for the free year?
    By the looks of the citizens info. you just apply through your chosen school? Is this right? There is a lovely one locally that I would like to apply for but the problem is that I may be moving to a different town before September, meaning my daughter would have to go someplace different.
    Can you move which school the free year applies to once you apply?

Any info. would be great! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

As far as I know you can change schools...as long as the other pre school has a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭gabsdot40

You need to find a place in a preschool and the school will pretty much do everything else for you.
    They'll give you a form to sign and you'll need to give the school your child's PPS number but that's it really. You can transfer schools during the year, again the old and new school will do the necessary paperwork.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

Does anyone else have to make a donation to their pre-school on their ‘free year’.

We have been asked to pay €50 and think it is ridiculous.

• Administrators Posts: 14,048 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I know the free year isn't paying as much to the pre-schools as people were paying privately.
    I know when my kids went, before the free year came in, we used to pay €12 for 3 hours. When the free year came in, it went to €15 (if your child didn't qualify for the free year). And I know over years, costs would go up etc..

We were never asked to contribute anything extra to the free year, but now I hear the 3 full time staff that were there have been cut to 1 fulltime (the owner) and the other 2 are gone part-time.

It's definitely not a money maker for the preschools. I can understand why schools might ask for a contribution. The are operating on a shoe string as it is.

I think its the emotional blackmail from the pre-school owner that annoys me most.

The owner gave all parents a letter asking for a 'donation of €50'. Its not even to contribute to extra activities, apparently its a levy that the owner has asked for and won't explain why she is asking for it.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 14,048 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

I wouldn't think its for "extra" activities, I'd imagine it's to cover the activities that the kids are already doing.

Is it a voluntary contribution? If so, just don't pay it, if you feel that strongly about it.

But I know in our preschool (and I finished this year as my "baby" has started big school!) I would have given a contribution if I could, if I knew they were struggling. I had great relationship with them. And my 3 kids loved their time there. My eldest is in 2nd class, and still occassionally says he misses playschool!

I used to give colouring books and toys into the preschool at times during the year. Aldi do the "I like to colour..." books, that are poster size pictures. The kids love them, and the preschool were always grateful.

If you don't trust your preschool owner and think she is emotionally blackmailing the parents, then are you completely comfortable using her service?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Tomfla wrote: »
    I think its the emotional blackmail from the pre-school owner that annoys me most.

The owner gave all parents a letter asking for a 'donation of €50'. Its not even to contribute to extra activities, apparently its a levy that the owner has asked for and won't explain why she is asking for it.

report them and do not pay it,they are not allowed to ask for money for the ecce year unless you have requested extra hours.

I wouldn't think its for "extra" activities, I'd imagine it's to cover the activities that the kids are already doing.

Is it a voluntary contribution? If so, just don't pay it, if you feel that strongly about it.

But I know in our preschool (and I finished this year as my "baby" has started big school!) I would have given a contribution if I could, if I knew they were struggling. I had great relationship with them. And my 3 kids loved their time there. My eldest is in 2nd class, and still occassionally says he misses playschool!

I used to give colouring books and toys into the preschool at times during the year. Aldi do the "I like to colour..." books, that are poster size pictures. The kids love them, and the preschool were always grateful.

If you don't trust your preschool owner and think she is emotionally blackmailing the parents, then are you completely comfortable using her service?

I'm not happy with her greedy ways but tbf her care towards the children isn't in question. Also in rural areas the choices are pretty thin on the ground

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

They are allowed asked for voluntary donation but you do not have to pay it.

They are also not allowed ask for money for arts and crafts. If you are being asked for these, you need to report them to your local County Childcare Committee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The preschool that my child will be attending has fundraising event every year. It is community childcare and only provides the free year and so is not for profit, but obviously, if they need to do this, the funds must be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Auntie me

Tomfla wrote: »

They are not allowed ask for a donation for nothing in return. Check with your local county Childcare committee who will verify this.

Advertisement