Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to lodge money/a cheque in AIB?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi,

I just opened an account in AIB and they said I can being to lodge money from today, but I've no idea how. Do I need to fill out a form or do I just walk up to the counter and give them my details?
    What about a cheque do I just walk up or do I need to fill out a form with it?

Also does anyone know if I can use my Visa card before the cheque has been cleared? As in instead of waiting 5 days for it to clear, will it just take the money when the cheque has cleared?

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

You use your ATM/Debit card or fill in a lodgement slip (availabile in branch) to go with the cash/cheque at the counter.

In some branches they have automated lodgement machines available also.

You generally have to have cleared/available funds before you can use your Visa Debit for purchases.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Timfy

Further to the above post and in answer to your second question... the funds will show in your account as soon as you pay them in, HOWEVER you will NOT be able to draw on them until they clear (1-2 days for an AIB cheque, up to 5 working days for any other cheque) Your online statement will show your balance and also your available funds, this is the amount in the account that you can draw on. Paying in cash is the exception as this clears immediately (if paid in over the counter).

No trees were harmed in the posting of this message, however a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 lizlemon16

I haven't received my debit card yet, but I was told by customer services that I could still lodge money. Thank you for your replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Then you use a lodgement slip (all you need is your sort code and account number to fill in on it :))

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

You can also lodge & withdraw cash in a Post Office using your debit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 lizlemon16

Cool thank you! So once I get the card and use it online, if the cheque hasn't cleared but I have lodged it, I will just go into overdraft until it clears? Sorry for all the questions, I've just opened it as a student account and I haven't a clue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Cushie Butterfield

If you have an overdraft facility on your account, yes. If you don't you will only have access to available funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nicknamed

How to lodge cheque in AIB after 5 pm ( i tried GPO) or on a saturday?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 581 ✭✭✭phoenix999

Nicknamed wrote: »

You can't. Perhaps try when the bank is actually opened. They open through lunch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭leaveiton

There's an AIB self service centre on Grafton St that opens late and at the weekends. I think you can use the machines there to lodge cheques. I've lodged cash quite a few times after normal banking hours.

• Advertisement

leaveiton wrote: »
    There's an AIB self service centre on Grafton St that opens late and at the weekends. I think you can use the machines there to lodge cheques. I've lodged cash quite a few times after normal banking hours.

Cool. And those machines are outside like ATM? In Cornel's Court cheque lodging machines of AIB are 'inside' the bank and are thus useless out of opening hours. What is the use of that machine when u r already inside the bank:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

They are in the building but not the main part of the bank. Think they open until 10PM.

Vuzuggu wrote: »
    They are in the building but not the main part of the bank. Think they open until 10PM.
    Any word on opening time?

Any word on opening time?

Just lodged a cheque there on Grafton street machine timings are 8 am to 9 pm. Thanks everyone

Advertisement