Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for picking up a rabbit

• 09-04-2013 8:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

We adopted a rabbit at the weekend. He is settling in really well, very relaxed and friendly. He will let you pet him most of the time, sometimes he says no with a little grunt or gives a warning nip if he's not in the mood. Picking him up is harder though. His back leg was injured at birth and he cannot use it properly now, it doesnt hurt him but it does mean he cant clean himself quite aswell as a normal rabbit.
    We need to be able to pick him up so we can check his bum and give it a wipe if needs be.
    He has let the OH pick him up once, he had a good snooze on his lap, seemed to enjoy the snuggles. That was on Sunday. Yesterday he tried to pick him up, he got as far as having his hands under and around him, but then he jumps away just in time! We didnt try to push it with him as we dont want to stress him out. But it needs to be done.

So any tips?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

I don't have a clue about rabbits, sorry!

But I think I know the little guy you're talking about and where he came from. So have you contacted the rescue to ask their advice? They should be able to provide you with any info or advice you need about the little guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭loveisdivine

No I haven't contacted them yet. It isn't really a major problem at the minute. We were able to pick him up again today and give him a decent clean. Plus he's only been with us a few days so I'm not expecting miracles yet!

I was just wondering how other people do it as I know that in general, bunnies aren't huge fans of being picked up.

Advertisement