Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sites for buying

Options
  • 09-04-2013 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend any good sites for buying Extract Kits, sugars, bottling equipment etc.?
    I've bought a few times from some Irish sites but am wondering if there might be somewhere cheaper to shop if I am buying a few bits in one go.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/ has the biggest range and some of the best prices.

Here is a full list.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭littlejp

Thanks. I've used thehomebrewcompany a few times and found them great. Just wanted to know how they compare with other suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

littlejp wrote: »
    Thanks. I've used thehomebrewcompany a few times and found them great. Just wanted to know how they compare with other suppliers.
    It's a very competitive market. I don't think there's a huge amount in it between the various Irish suppliers tbh.

Khannie wrote: »
    It's a very competitive market. I don't think there's a huge amount in it between the various Irish suppliers tbh.

Yeah. Seems to be only fractions of price differences between Irish sites.
    Is there anywhere in the UK or on the continent that might work out cheaper?

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭madhatter76

I used now twice http://www.houseofhomebrew.co.uk in nothern Ireland.

Due to the conversion they are slightly higher in prices but have a different selection on stuff and kits compared to the 2 major Southern shops.

I primarily ordered there cause they have their stuff on stock while here I mostly find an "out of stock note" on what I'm looking for.

• Advertisement

Yeah. Seems to be only fractions of price differences between Irish sites.
    Is there anywhere in the UK or on the continent that might work out cheaper?

For the UK, I recommend Hop & Grape. I have used them many times in the past. Not so much any more because the Irish prices are such that unless you are getting a really large order and including equipment in that, it does not make much financial sense.

They do have a larger range than the Irish sites though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭eurofoxy

if you are looking for different stuff try here, they are based in belgium so shipping can be expensive, but they have a good range of different things, and have some very professional gear too if that is what you are looking for..

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭joctcl

Due to the conversion they are slightly higher in prices but have a different selection on stuff and kits compared to the 2 major Southern shops.

I primarily ordered there cause they have their stuff on stock while here I mostly find an "out of stock note" on what I'm looking for.

They are being supplied by HBW;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I know postage could be a killer from the US but does anyone know of some good sites over there that might have different brew kits to what we're used to here ?

Not just postage, there's also customs to consider.
    It's not worth it. If you want to be more fancy with your brewing, move off kits and do extract or all grain. Most brewers in the US are all grain brewers so their kits are actually not very good.
    They do however have extract and all grain kits which have everything you need for a brew. You just need the equipment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Newgrange Warrior

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭SouthTippBass

I ordered equipment from homebrew.ie on Sunday night, and they had it delivered by Tuesday morning! :eek: Super fast delivery!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Placed an order from homebrewwest on Tuesday, still nothing. I emailed them and they said they have a back log due to the Bank Holiday, which sounds like crap tbh. Anyway, they wont be getting any further orders from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Shiny

In fairness there are around 80 brews going into the barrel projects alone the last few weeks not including brews that people would have been doing anyway. I would say all home brew stores are fairly busy at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Tbh I wouldn’t take it to heart. I usually order from the other main irish site and I find it a bit slow with delivery lately, definitely not next day delivery like they advertise, mine usually comes 3-4 after ordering.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Honestly - HBW need more staff. I had trouble before (a good while back) and got the same yarn. I'm delighted they're doing well, but their customer service is suffering as a result.

Well, the fact the order is still displaying as "Pending" after 4 days suggests a stock issue to me, not a staff issue. So if they are displaying items in stock that they dont have it screws up orders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Personally I think there are both doing very well, the prices are pretty good and are better than uk in most cases, not many things you can say that about in this country. That is why I would continue to support them despite the odd logistical problem here and there.

So 7 days later, and still no deilvery. I received another email on friday explaing what happened. It was a stock take and they never took their system down, so items sold and werent updated, long story short, 1 item i ordered was out of stock.

So homebrewwest offered to send the bulk of my order, with the 1 item to follow, plus a 1.5kg bag of LME, or I could have a refund. I took their offer and still havent had the items delivered.

I didnt realise they were a wholesale distributor, and I can understand why they would fill those orders first. However, I am annoyed by the whole thing. I have a batch waiting to be bottled and I had another planned, thats been screwed up by this delay and I wont be ordering from them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Just looked back on my order history and I had put an order in with HBW on 9/01/2013 and this was delivered by 11/01/2013. This time around I put in a order on Friday last. Just checked my account with them and it's 'Pending'. Luckily I'm not waiting on stuff and suits me that they don't deliver in the next two days as I will be in work.

• Advertisement

I've placed 3 orders in total with thehomebrewcompany.ie and they have all been delivered in 2 to 3 days.
    I tried to order from houseofhomebrew.co.uk but neither of my Cards would be accepted. Still waiting to hear from them why this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

I've placed 3 orders in total with thehomebrewcompany.ie and they have all been delivered in 2 to 3 days.
    I tried to order from houseofhomebrew.co.uk but neither of my Cards would be accepted. Still waiting to hear from them why this is.

Just tried to order from the uk site also but likewise it returned an error for my mastercard. Not too pushed. I was only testing the site really as an alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

Browsing this site, am i correct in saying they are not charging VAT and deliver for £5 when i estimate shipping to to Galway?

Haven't actually checked out, but that seems like good value... if i'm not missing something.....

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭hunglikeaflee

I have used the HBC a number of times now and find 1-2 days delivery times.
    I used HBW twice and both times it was over a week delivery with one of them trying to deliver to the wrong address and I had to collect myself and the other time sending the wrong products, which I will say they sorted no problem.

If you are in a hurry both companies are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    Browsing this site, am i correct in saying they are not charging VAT and deliver for £5 when i estimate shipping to to Galway?

Haven't actually checked out, but that seems like good value... if i'm not missing something.....

That's what it appeared to do to me yesterday. No vat charge and I went all the way to confirming payment until it rejected my mastercard. If it had gone through it would have been cheaper than the few southern sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

lang wrote: »
    Just looked back on my order history and I had put an order in with HBW on 9/01/2013 and this was delivered by 11/01/2013. This time around I put in a order on Friday last. Just checked my account with them and it's 'Pending'. Luckily I'm not waiting on stuff and suits me that they don't deliver in the next two days as I will be in work.

Just to update:
    Ordered stock on 10/05/2013. E-mailed them on 16/05/2013, repled on 17/05/2013 to say that some of the stuff was not in stock. I accepted the replacements suggested. Got an e-mail this evening (20/05/2013) to say order has been dispatched. They had tried to ring me on 16/05 but I missed their calls.

So, we'll see how long it takes to get down here to me. I'm not really needing anything from it straigth away (thank god). I'm going to really consider who I order from in the future as this is not the first time I've had issues with HBW. This time what annoys me is the fact that the stuff I had ordered was marked on the site as 'In Stock', but this was clearly out of stock because this is what has delayed the order.

I'm not one to give out about something without telling those who I'm giving out about and I will be sending HBW an e-mail in the coming days once my order has arrived and I've confirmed all is present and correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

lang wrote: »
    Just to update:
    Ordered stock on 10/05/2013. E-mailed them on 16/05/2013, repled on 17/05/2013 to say that some of the stuff was not in stock. I accepted the replacements suggested. Got an e-mail this evening (20/05/2013) to say order has been dispatched. They had tried to ring me on 16/05 but I missed their calls.

So, we'll see how long it takes to get down here to me. I'm not really needing anything from it straigth away (thank god). I'm going to really consider who I order from in the future as this is not the first time I've had issues with HBW. This time what annoys me is the fact that the stuff I had ordered was marked on the site as 'In Stock', but this was clearly out of stock because this is what has delayed the order.

I'm not one to give out about something without telling those who I'm giving out about and I will be sending HBW an e-mail in the coming days once my order has arrived and I've confirmed all is present and correct.

I had a few issues with HBW , they sent stuff thst was past sell by date ,i have used H.B. Company ever since ,usually nxt day to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Never had a problem with HBC - super fast deliveries and he was accommodating when I made a mess of an order and needed to make a change after i paid for everything

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

I have to say that out of the 3 i use HBC are the quickest to deliver. If you email Shane will usually answer within 24hrs and is very helpful to beginners like me.

HBW also supply HBC and homebrew.ie( or so i was told) so if HBW cant get it the other two will have a hard time as well. I have to say though that compared to our UK counterparts stock keeping and marking as sold is piss poor across the board here. Also would it be that hard to email and say sorry but that item you ordered is actually out of stock, and not leave a fella hanging a week waiting and wondering?

That said defo HBC for your orders guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

I have used these also ,cheap for brewferm kits and yeasts ,i bought 9 kits and 20 yeasts saved €47 to hbw price : )

Advertisement