Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good sites for buying

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭pcomer

Saruman wrote: »
    Nope.... I have been using star san since about 2009 and have not rinsed since,

By the way lads, brewing sugar is just glucose. It's probably cheaper in the supermarket.
    Also, any kit that requires the use of extra sugar, you are better off using DME instead of sugar.

What supermarkets sell glucose? Not tesco according to their online offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Sure they do, it's a standard baking ingredient. Unless things have changed but I have seen glucose in supermarkets since I was a teenager and worked in one.

Could even get glucose in my local Centra when I lived in Westmeath.

Not every product in a supermarket is listed on their website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

Might be called dextrose in the supermarket.

Sure they do, it's a standard baking ingredient. Unless things have changed but I have seen glucose in supermarkets since I was a teenager and worked in one.

Could even get glucose in my local Centra when I lived in Westmeath.

Not every product in a supermarket is listed on their website.

Well they don't in Tesco (glucose or dextrose). If anyone fiinds them on sale can they post it up here.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tesco definitely used to sell Shamrock-brand glucose, but it's ages since I bought any.

• Advertisement

BeerNut wrote: »
    Tesco definitely used to sell Shamrock-brand glucose, but it's ages since I bought any.

I definitely saw that on sale last year. Off to local Tesco now to have a look as I also need Glycerine. Hopefully their website isn't up to date and they stock all (glucose & Glycerine). Will post results in half an hour.

OK results from Tesco as follows (local Tesco is a Superstore so pretty big):

No Glucose or Dextrose in dry form.

They were selling liquid glucose for about €1.50 for 150ml so not viable.

If anyone finds glucose or dextrose on sale for less than €1.90 a kg (homebrewguru's price) can they post it up here.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

pcomer wrote: »
    If anyone finds glucose or dextrose on sale for less than €1.90 a kg (homebrewguru's price) can they post it up here.

I buy glucose from my local Dunnes (Leopardstown). They have 450 g bags in their baking section. I'd say most Dunnes stock it

basskebab wrote: »
    I buy glucose from my local Dunnes (Leopardstown). They have 450 g bags in their baking section. I'd say most Dunnes stock it

Cheers - what price is 450g?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Not sure, 1 or 2 euros. Probably cheaper online, but Dunnes is more convenient and there's no postage

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Devi wrote: »
    Ive been meaning to try this for a while now, Id say its hard to resist the urge to rinse though

Hell no it isnt! Less work

Fill you fermenter to the brime and add the vinegar and bleach, then fill your bottles by submerging them and leaving in the bathtub. Wait 5mins, empty the bottles and whats in the fermenter and make the beer.

So simple, no rinse and no infection!

basskebab wrote: »
    Not sure, 1 or 2 euros. Probably cheaper online, but Dunnes is more convenient and there's no postage

I think the initial point is that it was cheaper in the supermarkets. When I'm brewing I generally need to order a few things so I'd be paying the postage anyways. Would still be interested if anyone finds it in a supermarket for less than €1.90 a Kg.

I guess supermarkets are probably no longer the place to go for glucose, they certainly used to be 4 or 5 years ago. Sounds like supermarket prices went up and homebrew shop prices went down.
    At least you know you can probably get it handily enough in a shop if you need some in a pinch.
    Health shops are usually good for it also, or again, they used to when I started brewing.

I guess supermarkets are probably no longer the place to go for glucose, they certainly used to be 4 or 5 years ago. Sounds like supermarket prices went up and homebrew shop prices went down.
    At least you know you can probably get it handily enough in a shop if you need some in a pinch.
    Health shops are usually good for it also, or again, they used to when I started brewing.

I was thinking maybe catering supply companies or other companies might sell it wholesale. Might be cheaper buying there if you needed a lot (> 10Kg)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Re: Vinegar+Bleach solution.

I have 1 container thats capable of holding 30l, my fermenter. Now, for the intial clean/sanitising I can use it, but once i fill it with beer I cant.

I have limited space here, I dont want to get another container. So, for me, a Star San or equiv is the better option.

I'm confused, using star san is no different to using the bleach and vinegar solution.
    Both need to be made up in about 20l of water. Am I missing something? Why would you need an extra container for one and not the other?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Anyone wrote: »
    Re: Vinegar+Bleach solution.

I have 1 container thats capable of holding 30l, my fermenter. Now, for the intial clean/sanitising I can use it, but once i fill it with beer I cant.

I have limited space here, I dont want to get another container. So, for me, a Star San or equiv is the better option.

I divide it down. I have a pot that holds 3L of water and I use 5ml each of vinegar and bleach. 20L seems very wasteful to me so I never bother with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

I'm confused, using star san is no different to using the bleach and vinegar solution.
    Both need to be made up in about 20l of water. Am I missing something? Why would you need an extra container for one and not the other?

I didnt realise Star San required such large quantities of water to make a mix, havent used it before and new to brewing.

Anyone wrote: »
    I didnt realise Star San required such large quantities of water to make a mix, havent used it before and new to brewing.

All sanitisers are designed to be done in large quantities. You can measure it down in to smaller quantities if you like, though that can be difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

Starsan does not need to be made to 20 litres , i make 1 litre water to 2.5ml starsan every time , i use bottle rinser device so its more eco i suppose , everything gets a good soak first and bottles washed in a trub bucket.then starsan to sanitize all items , i use a small plant sprayer for some things

• Advertisement

As I said, you can measure it down if you have something to measure smaller volumes.
    I'm not sure I have anything that can measure 2.5ml off-hand. For me that's not a problem as I do need 20l. I make good use of that solution when kegging.

The point was that using star-san is exactly the same as using bleach and vinegar or any solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭tteknulp

I'm not sure I have anything that can measure 2.5ml off-hand. .

The point was that using star-san is exactly the same as using bleach and vinegar or any solution.

Yeah im sure theres loads of no rinse products ,its just what i use ,get a couple of syrines safe type ,thats how i measure it.

Advertisement