Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

I'm sick of my iPhone. I want Flash & PDF......

• 09-04-2013 9:24am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

...and I know nothing about the competition.

I've had iPhone's for 4 years.

I'm tired of what they can't do more than what they can do.

I want Flash, a PDF reader & a bigger screen.

I'm also leaving Vodafone because of what they've done to EirText.

So, if someone can suggest a few handsets for consideration, I'd be grateful. If you can suggest a network too, that would be even better.

Cost of the handset is not an issue. Cost of the network is. I text and use 3G far more than I call.

Thanks as always.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Flash on the whole is on the decline. Any major site now offers optimised mobile versions. If your referring to Flash games, then no mobile device handles them well in my experience. When you say pdf, iPhone handles PDF quite well no?

• Subscribers Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Draco

It can read PDFs and Adobe Reader is avaliable on the app store. What do you need flash for bar annoying ads?

As for an alternative, I've a Samsung Galaxy S3 (as a backup to my iPhone) and it's decent enough. I'd probably wait till the S4 is available though (announced last month but I don't think any of the Irish providers have it till next month).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭draiochtanois

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Flash is on decline alright, still there at present but limited to websites that havent been updated.
    Iphone does do pdf and actually quite well, any email you get with a pdf attachment or any website that brings up a pdf can be opened in ibooks and therefore kept, i keep all my user guides for products like cameras etc this way.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

While flash is in decline there are many people that want it for what ever reason. It is readily available on android devices with a simple app download and another browser choice mozilla for example.

For that reason OP Android would be more suited to your needs and obviously handles PDFs with ease.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

Phew! The speed of the replies!

Apologies, it's Java I need, not Flash.

I need it for online banking.

I don't think the iPhone does Java, does it?

Thanks for the 3 Mobile/HTC tip.

D.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,453 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Have a look at some web browsers in the App Store.
    There's Puffin(free) and a few paid ones aswell.
    Might cover your needs!
    Also I think the reason the iphone screen isn't as big as some is to have it more usable with one hand.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dinarius wrote: »
    Phew! The speed of the replies!

Apologies, it's Java I need, not Flash.

I need it for online banking.

I don't think the iPhone does Java, does it?

Thanks for the 3 Mobile/HTC tip.

D.

what on line banking? Dont most of the banks offer apps now? I use AIB/Ulsterbank/PayPal with out a problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Given Java's security issues in past months I would envisage it being phased out in the coming years in favour of App's. Also security in general on a mobile device would warrant caution especially under Android. Granted iPhone has had its malware moments but Android has had far more serious attacks.

HTC One or S4 would be my picks if I moved away from iPhone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

I'm with Danske Bank.

The App appears to only allow me access to credit card and savings account, but not current account.

Thanks.

D.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Whenever iPhoners hear "My iPhone doesn't do X" the answer is always "you don't need X".:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    Whenever iPhoners hear "My iPhone doesn't do X" the answer is always "you don't need X".:rolleyes:

there is more than one way of doing things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

godtabh wrote: »

He's right though :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

godtabh wrote: »
    And in this case the best way is buy the phone that does what you want instead of change what you want.
    He's due a new phone anyway. Why stick with a model that doesn't suit your needs?

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Queerdub

What's this with Java for banking?

I can access both banking sites for my banks Bank of Ireland and Ulster Bank in the browser IE10 on my Nokia Lumia 920 without any problem, giving more functionality than a banking app.

PDFs can be accessed too with ease on Windows Phone through the Microsoft PDF app or a recently released third party PDF Reader and shared/stored through SkyDrive.

Don't go Android, try a Lumia like the Lumia 720. The support from Nokia is unmatched with regards services like Nokia Music/Mix Radio, their Here Maps suite, Nokia Reading etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 msouden

My wife and I have suffered with 3 and matching HTC handsets for 2 years. Unbelievably bad service- both technically speaking and support-wise. The handsets themselves have a really poor reputation for being faulty and I've spent upward of 40 hours attempting to get them replaced with 3 - to no avail.

There's zero call reliability. I "miss" calls that never rang constantly despite having bars, zero data reliability, the phone defaults to a slower network speed regardless of settings to correct this, the 3G is a joke- pages still hang and load slowly. It actually takes up to 15 minutes to boot at least 1/2 of the time- the whole time sitting on that glaring white 3 logo that just makes the battery drain darn near audible...

Oh I can rant on this. Just a few minutes ago had to redial my wife 4 or 5 times to finish a 5 minute call - this is the normal situation where I know there's service.

The only reason I have suffered like this is because I work from a home office and can stay on wifi during the day. In fact - the handset has trained me to manually toggle off the data plan while at home and the wifi when away because there's so much evidence that it simply can't intelligently handle 2 means of passing packets.

</rant>

Phew. Thanks. Back to work. For the love of God don't sign up with 3.

Matt

Advertisement