Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you pay to talk to a celeb on FB?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭returnNull

Not a fukking hope!

There's some saying about a fool and his money.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

tdv123 wrote: »
    You can still send messages to celebs for free. It just goes into a different folder than the payed ones. Good idea I think.

Celebs will probably not respond anyways. Some sad people are going to spend a fortune on this, bombarding celebs with mail. Also some celebs may be uncomfortable with the idea of people being charged to message them.

For example I stopped using farmville years ago and yet some stranger on facebook was spending 'farmcash' (which costs real money to buy) on my farm to revive my crops (even in recent months). I blocked them and removed my farmville account for their own protection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Celebrities would have to pay me to talk to them.

FFS, when I read this I had to check if it was still April 1st.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Straight answer, no.

And I don't use Facebook anyway.

And I am a real hater of the 'celeb' culture, so it would also depend on what is classed as a 'celeb'. Tom Daly=no, Robert de Niro=yes.

But I still wouldn't pay to email Bobby either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

Celebs will probably not respond anyways. Some sad people are going to spend a fortune on this, bombarding celebs with mail. Also some celebs may be uncomfortable with the idea of people being charged to message them.

For example I stopped using farmville years ago and yet some stranger on facebook was spending 'farmcash' (which costs real money to buy) on my farm to revive my crops (even in recent months). I blocked them and removed my farmville account for their own protection.

Isn't that there own fault for being so stupid tho? If I was getting bombard with messages like celebrities do I wouldn't write back to anybody either.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭tdv123

paulbok wrote: »

FFS, when I read this I had to check if it was still April 1st

Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

paulbok wrote: »

FFS, when I read this I had to check if it was still April 1st.
    Why?

Huh?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Isn't that there own fault for being so stupid tho? If I was getting bombard with messages like celebrities do I wouldn't write back to anybody either.

They won't be bombarded with messages though. They'll only be able to receive one message per week. For now it's entirely a spam recuding measure and won't raise any noticeable amount of revenue.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,050 ✭✭✭token101

How are people going to be classed as celebrities though? I mean, there's going to be the obvious ones but what about reality TV stars and politicians? Are they really going to charge me 11 euro for that? Because I really don't want to have to go old school and revert to poison pen and buying lots of magazines and stamps again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Aimed at children and young teens. A bit exploitive if we are all honest. A Celeb will now hire someone to simply manage their FB messages as they rake in a small percentage from Facebook. And a child or teen thinking Justin Bieber just told them to believe, is some random bloke sitting in an entirely different country pasting a templated response.

Pretty shoddy of Facebook, but even more reflective off modern society, especially our children and teens that they would even go for this, and believe they get a response from the actual individual.

I'm still in my 20's and it baffles the mind whats going through the minds of people only a few years younger.

I'm a firm believer that Social Media platforms have a lifespan. At the start there was a high turnover, and as time went on the newcomers learned from mistakes gone by and became a more solid base. Facebook obviously is a revenue goliath now, but at the end of the day, the userbase dictates everything. And there will definitely be a time when Facebook will simply just become old news. And it is usually when a social media platform becomes bloated, and spam for games and advertisement is more frequent then actual messages from friends.

I use Facebook to keep in touch with two groups who are reluctant to change. Anything meaningful and actually having discussions, has for me moved to Google plus a good while ago now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,544 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

What the doc said about Facebook is true even though he was a user in the past. I never ever use a platform like it because it is useless for my own personality.

What I can say about Facebook is that in a few years, it will be a dying breed of social networking that will be diminished for some time to come. And the charging of users for sending messages is the first step of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Paramite Pie

Well to be honest, it might not be their own money.. it will be mommy's or daddy's money for alot of teens/tweens.

And I imagine once you type in your credit card info once, parents may not realize that facebook might memorise this info and one swift click of a mouse is all that will be needed in future for the young'uns to speak to Bieber/One Direction. Then the bills will be sky high.

Not all parents are internet savy and that's not necessarily their fault as they grew up without these things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭paulbok

Why?

April Fools' Day

noun April 1, a day when practical jokes or tricks are played on unsuspecting people.

Also called All Fools' Day.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭lecker Hendl

I now charge people to be friends with me. In return, they receive one random weekly like, and their annual Happy birthday/Christmas generic message.

I am expanding soon to charge extra to be tagged in pictures such as lions, or snoop doggy dog.

Should you wish to be part of this exciting venture, please pm me, and for €49.99 p/a I can be your friend.

lol tb x

Advertisement