Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Ventura Carbon Road Bike for €880

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭g0g

FYI none anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 206 ✭✭loinnsigh

Looks like there's loads of availability up north though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

0129631 wrote: »

Wow it has shifter indicator windows. That's very important!:pac:

Reliable Sora groupset, but a year or two out of date, I'd expect at least 9 speeds on the back these days. Wheels are Shimano so should be solid. Finishing kit is Ritchey, good quality.

The only question mark would be the frame, but its probably fine. Some standard Taiwanese mould bought in bulk and repainted to say ventura (like most frames). It won't spontaneously explode when you ride it.

It definitely is NOT worth the RRP of 1759. Is it worth 899? hmm I'd say not. I definitely wouldn't buy this as way of getting into the world of carbon. Buy a Canyon or Rose Alu bike instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

For the price of it is rather pay €300 extra and get the Virago from halfords, carbon frame, 105 groupset and a very nice white/red color scheme.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

If a carbon bike comes with a bell , run away run away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

shaka wrote: »

i think legally in the UK they have to come with a bell and reflectors (but i could be very wrong). Any bike Ive bought from the UK or through a UK chain has had reflectors and bells.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,962 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaka wrote: »

It's a legal requirement to fit a bell in the UK, except for bikes adapted for racing. Hence major UK retailers will often include them as a matter of course

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I got a bag of reflectors and a bell with my new Felt. Annoyingly, wheel reflectors were already fitted to it :/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I'd imagine it flexes like a saw blade under and sort of power output.

• Registered Users Posts: 964 ✭✭✭detones

From Youtube Clip the bike does look nice, nice shape to Frame and colour scheme. However I think buying a Road Bike from Argos is like getting a Triple Coronary Bypass carried out by Tescos. They may be up to the job but can you really trust them. If I’m hurtling down a hill at 70k + i'd like to have some faith in the bit of kit under my arse. At that price range too I could be wrong but a good quality Aluminum frame would be better than a cheapo carbon frame. I thing people get too hung up on a good bike has to be Carbon.

Also I found those Wheels flex a lot under a bit of power. If your 85kg plus i'd be wary. Though i'm sure others will ahve had no issues with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,867 ✭✭✭Tonyandthewhale

Who-ever wrote the spec list on the argos site obviously doesn't know the first thing about bikes.

"quick release front wheel"
    "suitable for ages 18 years and over"
    "70cm/27inch wheel size"
    "Rigid suspension"

I wonder what would happen if someone under the age of 18 years rode it and did they fit a solid axle to the rear r500 (although there's clearly a quick-release on the rear as well in the picture) and is 70cm the same as 700c? And can anyone tell me how exactly rigid suspension works.

None of these details necessarily affect the quality of the bike (because they're not really details) but you certainly wouldn't want to be expecting any help from argos if you bring it back with a problem.

Aside from that, just shy of 900e is cheap for a carbon bike but the groupset is pretty much entry level and an older version at that, the wheels are bargain basement (but still shimano so not total crap) and the tyres are rubbish kendas.
    You could get an aluminium framed bike with better wheels and groupset from a more reliable and helpful retailler for similar money or less or you could pay just a little more and get a carbon frame with a reputation of some kind as well as better wheels and groupset and customer service. I wouldn't be tempted personally and I'd die laughing if someone tried to sell me this for 1759.99e.

I had it in my head that Ventura were one of those supermarket bike companies. i.e. No presence on the web. Offering 90's technology. Not for sale in actual bike shops. I'm sure I've seen them with downtube shifters.

They seem now to have moved one step above this, by buying bottom of the range components that are a bit dated. And lash them on to a sturdy/heavy* frame. If they had an Alu version it might do as a run around or a training bike if it was dirt cheap. This though. I dunno.

Claud butler used to do a cheap carbon bike, but it was heavy as hell, heavier than an alu bike. Carbon is not always better.

*I'm guessing.

www.ribblecycles.co.uk/ offer a similarly priced carbon bike that would have a much more reliable history and track record.

Advertisement