Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Dublin need another start-up incubator?

Options
  • 09-04-2013 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys

Interested in your opinions and apologies if this question has been asked recently.

Have been keeping tabs on this http://www.welcometosync.com/techcube-how-to-hack-an-incubator/ privately set up incubator in Edinburgh, which seems to have developed solid momentum.

My own start-up is pre revenue, while we adjust our model and I'm supporting it on a shoe string. I've been quoted the usual rates for small office space in the established incubators, as well as €200++ for a 'hot desk' in one case, all of which I can't afford.

To expand on my question a little. Do you think Dublin needs an incubator which is supported in such a way, that it only has to charge nominal amounts for office space etc and can waive these in circumstances that merit it?

Very interested to hear your opinions.

Cheers! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

I think that the powers that be should be allowing start-ups to use the 15% of Dublin office space that is currently lying empty for a nominal sum, at least for the first 6-12 months of their existance. We have all this taxpayer funded office space lying empty and it is not being put to any good use.

But unfortunately it isn't happening as it would depress office rents further and NAMA has a lot of office space so it is not in their interests to flood the market. Our government is also a lot more likely to protect the rental incomes of large scale commercial landlords than they are to give start-up a leg up.

As for actual incubators well weather more are needed is down to demand. All the main universities seem to have some version of one at this stage and there are a good few more outside that eco-system.

In fairness though €200 a month isn't a bad price for a hot desk that covers your rates, power, internet and phone bill. It works out at about 12 quid a day which is reasonable. If costs are really tight for you then some hotdesks can be rented by the day so you can work from home some days and have an office on others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,776 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

Costs in Dublin, while coming down, are still stupidly high. You'll notice that it is government priced services driving this, i.e. rates, energy,water. Topped with public liability insurance 200 euro a month all in is still pretty reasonable. If that is to rich for you and you are pre-revenue then you really still belong in your spare room for now, no shame in that, I know plenty of established business running from home

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Thanks for your comments guys.

Can't argue with anything you've said and yep, it'll be home office
    for a while yet and thats fine.

What grinds my gears is the extremely limited support that the government extends to knowledge based indigenous start-ups. I believe I'm better off networking sufficiently, to generate my own mentors / advisors and seed investors. If we're successful, I plan to help those that come after us directly,as well as put a proportion of profits into partnering with relevant NGOs.
    So far as I can see, the main benefit to being based here is the ability to reduce our corporate tax rate to a fraction of 1%, so we'll do that, instead of paying into the black hole of government waste.

Oops. Apologies for the rant :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭ontour2

There are lots of things to give out about with the government and lots of flaws to the supports that they put in place but there are few places in the world that I am aware of with more/ better support structures especially for tech start-ups.

Have a look at the list of government supports here: http://startupwiki.ie/wiki/Government_assisted

Startupwiki has a wealth of information.

• Registered Users Posts: 576 ✭✭✭ifah

Max001 wrote: »

What grinds my gears is the extremely limited support that the government extends to knowledge based indigenous start-ups. I believe I'm better off networking sufficiently, to generate my own mentors / advisors and seed investors.

I wouldn't agree with this portion of your response - I'm involved in a startup and have received some very good (free) advice from the CEB, some business mentors/angels that the CEB put us in touch with and also from Enterprise Ireland. We've just applied for the latest round of Competitive Start Funding from EI also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Max001

Appreciate your comments guys and glad to hear my own experience to date might not be all the story :)

Advertisement