Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling on the N3

Options
  • 09-04-2013 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, might be up north this weekend but need to get in a long cycle on sunday. Thinking about routes, it looks like I could take the N3 back to dublin (starting around derrylin/belturbet).. anyone cycled on it recently? It's been years since I was up that direction, the old n3 used to seem decent - not sure what state it's in now with the m3 works complete. Also, how dodgy is it cycling in from dunshaughlin to the city?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

kingQuez wrote: »
    Hi Folks, might be up north this weekend but need to get in a long cycle on sunday. Thinking about routes, it looks like I could take the N3 back to dublin (starting around derrylin/belturbet).. anyone cycled on it recently? It's been years since I was up that direction, the old n3 used to seem decent - not sure what state it's in now with the m3 works complete. Also, how dodgy is it cycling in from dunshaughlin to the city?

Ahh my commute to the inlaws. Dublin city centre to Ballyconnell (9km past Belturbet)

Most important thing is to get fish and chips from Boscos in Derrylin.

I go Ballyconnell->Belturbet->Cavan->Virginia->Kells->Navan->Dunshaughlin->City centre.

On the return trip I avoid riding on the M3 (however do 1.5km on it on the trip up). N3 in good nick really.

Stretch from Virginia to Cavan is a pain, so long.

About 140km from Belturbet to City Centre.

The section from Dunshaughlin to City Centre on the N3 is fine, need to be aware at the exists and entrances but its fine really.

Nice cycle unless you get a pig of headwind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Not sure I can justify fish & chips at the *start* of a cycle.. next time I'll flip it so I cycle on the way up :)

Hadn't thought about headwind; I rarely deviate from my usual routes.. might play it safe and kick off a bit closer to dublin and add some laps in the park to get the distance to where it needs to be.

Cheers for the info, really appreciated!

The wind is usually always mild, in the years that I have been doing it I have only been caught out twice. I like the cycle would recommend it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭kingQuez

Didn't work out this time, I had to drive it. Glad I did, all the groups out cycling were getting battered by the wind, and the car was getting a good shove from time to time too!

Next time :D

Doing it the other way on Friday. Will probably kill me as not ridden that long in a while

• Advertisement
Advertisement