Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dream Punditry Line Up

• 09-04-2013 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

Ok so as the title goes, who would be your ideal line up, pundits and presenters?

Do you for sheer car crash tv entertainment?

Quality in depth analysis?

Possibility to lots of arguments?

A combination of all the above?

I'm going with James Richardson as the presenter, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher and Eamon Dunphy as pundits

Who would you pick and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Ok so as the title goes, who would be your ideal line up, pundits and presenters?

I'm going with James Richardson as the presenter, Gary Neville, Jamie Carragher and Eamon Dunphy as pundits

I actually thought of those 3 straight away when I read the thread title :pac:

Maybe throw in Roy Keane and Alan Shearer too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Billo, Giles, Dunphy, Brady.

You don't need anything else.

Intelligent people can watch a match and not need some halfwit explaining to them what they've just seen.

The RTE "A" Panle provide good entertainment, and troll enough fools to be the best around.

Even better are the complete cretins who take any punditry seriously. Everyone has an agenda to follow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Don't watch pundits, find it mad boring seeing lads talk about a match as if its the most important thing in the world .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

My dream punditry line-up would be no one. Let me watch the match without having to listen to a load of waffle. 90 minutes of just the football, without the commentators speaking over the chants and sounds of the crowd, would feel a lot more like a proper match (though, nothing would be better than being there).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,882 ✭✭✭✭klose

Dont fancy reading subtitles while watching analysis, jamie is hard to understand to say the least :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Anything that has no Niall Quinn, Jamie Redknapp, Ray Wilkins, Lou Macari and Adrian Chiles and I'll be happy.

klose wrote: »
    Dont fancy reading suntitles while watching analysis, jamie is hard to understand to say the least :pac:

The ironing is delicious.

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Anything that has no Niall Quinn, Jamie Redknapp, Ray Wilkins, Lou Macari and Adrian Chiles and I'll be happy.

Paddy Crerand. Mike Summerbee. Phil Thompson. LeTissier. Merson.

You'd be happy with them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

Richardson as anchor. Neville, Marcotti, Dunphy, Michael Cox

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭Strongbow10

GavRedKing wrote: »

Nightmare punditry would have to be Jimmy Magee on commentary with Macari as co-commentator

Richard Keys presenting, with Peter Schmeichel, Gareth Crooks and Craig Burley in the pundits chairs :D

• Advertisement

iregk wrote: »
    Richardson as anchor. Neville, Marcotti, Dunphy, Michael Cox

I hate Marcotti.

He's the George Hook of football pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

I've always enjoyed listening to Hamann and Souness as pundits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭markie29

Ossie Ardiles and Jamie Carragher would be fun in the studio.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I would love to see Fernando Duarte lock horns with Dunphy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Good God no, but the ones I mention get a bit more T.V. time then those mentioned above.

Everyone has their favourite pundit but for every good pundit there's a half dozen half wits or more out there.

Special mention to the Soccer Saturday lads and in particular Merson, its a job for the boys brigade if I ever seen it over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Jimbo hosting Neville , Keane . That'd be a great Monday Night Football team.

I reckon we might see Owen do something similar to Neville over the next few years so hopefully he can improve .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭iregk

I hate Marcotti.

He's the George Hook of football pundits.

Great. Thanks for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Lennonist

Roy Keane and Mick McCarthy chaired by Eamon Dunphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I would love to see Fernando Duarte lock horns with Dunphy.

Could only happen after the watershed.

My dream line-up is James Richardson as anchor, Simon Cox of Zonalmarking.net and/or Gary Neville to do the actual tactical analysis, Raf Honigstein, Roy Keane and Richie Sadlier for intelligent debate that doesn't just parrot the morning papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Billo with Sadlier, Neville, Hamman and Dunphy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Bill as presnter,with Keano,Dunphy and Neville and maybe throw in Redknapp so the other three can slate him,Dunphy would tear him to bits :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Keane, Neville, Dunphy & Hamman with Chris Kamara hosting.

A perfect blend of pseudo intelligent waffle and witty banter! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

Darragh Maloney hosting

Pundits, Sadlier, Souness, Neville

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

John Barnes should be included to talk over all the other pundits and not allow them to express their opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,139 ✭✭✭Red Crow

James Richardson as presenter. Sadlier and Hamann analysing. Gary Neville with a piece too.

I don't like LeTiss, Thompson, Cascarino, Merson, Charlie Nicholas, Paddy Crerand, Sumerbee, Jamie Carragher, Yorke, Barnes etc!

On commentary I'd have to take Tim Caple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,903 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Needs more David cuntin Pleat :mad:

Good evening Xavi6 :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Just a slight alteration of the RTE recipe for me: Richardson hosting; Giles, Kerr and Dunphy on the panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,500 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Danny Mills and Mark Lawrenson as the commentary team. Mills and Lawrence are hooked up to the grid and via the red button on the sky remote we get to zap them everytime Lawro cracks wise or Mills says something like he "opened up his body there".

Back in the studio, Lineker is presenting with Jamie Redknapp and Garth Crooks debating. If any of the three mention the following phrases

“Without a doubt a top top player”
    “Cultured left foot”
    “When he hits them, they stay hit!”
    “Your Tottenhams, your Arsenals, your Chelseas…”

The studio windows and doors are instantly slammed shut with magnetic locks and the studio begins to flood with water.

Kay Burley is at the ground doing pitchside updates on the weather and injuries with the odd bit of biting social satire with Geoff Shreeves doing the post match interviews. If they don't make someone cry before or after a match a live tiger is released into the stands.

All of this is followed by a full one hour show called something like "Zonal corridor false nine in the hole expose" giving us ignorant uninformed carbon lifeforms a detailed tactical breakdown of the match we have just seen. Its hosted by William Shattner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

YES! Brian Kerr!

His appearances at the Euros this summer were the stuff of co-commentry legend.

"He gave him a bit of a hoosh there, maybe it was more of a dunt"

<camera cuts to menacing looking German fan in full face-paint> "Jaysis, the head on him!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Trevor Welch commentating with Kenny Cunningham co-commentating just so we can hear repeats of his "Cunny Kenningham" gaff from years ago when he introduces Kenny :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

The best to watch for various reasons are Dunphy, Neville, Sadlier and Keane

The worst in their various roles are Lawro, Crooks, Bonner, Dolan, and the mother of all tools Lou Macari

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Rebecca Lowe presenting.

Sid Lowe, Sadlier, Hamann, Dunphy. Dunphy simply to cause Sid Lowe to have a breakdown with his Spanish knowledge :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

Daniel Craig, Frankie Boyle, Nigella Lawson, Grahan Norton and J.K Rowling.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

Lawro, Redknapp the Younger, Steve Macca and that Geordie lad who does La Liga. The Dream team.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭jimjamcos

Ormus wrote: »
    The best to watch for various reasons are Dunphy, Neville, Sadlier and Keane

The worst in their various roles are Lawro, Crooks, Bonner, Dolan, and the mother of all tools Lou Macari

They'd be my pick too with Bill as chair obviously! :D Would love to see them 4 eat him alive! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭PurpleSt4in

Keano, Gary Neville, and an inebriated Eamonn Dunphy please.

Hamman and Neville are the two best pundits imo if it's just punditry and no laughs you're after.

Give me Bill and the boys any day for grade 1 entertainment.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Hamman and Neville are the two best pundits imo if it's just punditry and no laughs you're after.

Give me Bill and the boys any day for grade 1 entertainment.

As if you don't find Didi's nervous twitch funny!!

jimjamcos wrote: »
    As if you don't find Didi's nervous twitch funny!!

Not really tbh.

Cunninghams independent eyebrows freak me out though

• Advertisement

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Not really tbh.

Cunninghams independent eyebrows freak me out though

Once they catch your attention there's no getting away from them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Jarrod

Guillem Balague and Brian Kerr would be the perfect mix of footballing knowledge and hilarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Some great lines from Lou Macari last night:

"Was that Michael Dawson? Fantastic tackle if it was" (But not if it wasn't?)

"I think the ref should have shown a couple of yellow cards by now to calm things down. The tackle just now, there wasn't much in it, but the way the player went down, I think a lot of refs would have given yellow."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

Danny Mills and Mark Lawrenson as the commentary team. Mills and Lawrence are hooked up to the grid and via the red button on the sky remote we get to zap them everytime Lawro cracks wise or Mills says something like he "opened up his body there".

Back in the studio, Lineker is presenting with Jamie Redknapp and Garth Crooks debating. If any of the three mention the following phrases

“Without a doubt a top top player”
    “Cultured left foot”
    “When he hits them, they stay hit!”
    “Your Tottenhams, your Arsenals, your Chelseas…”

The studio windows and doors are instantly slammed shut with magnetic locks and the studio begins to flood with water.

Kay Burley is at the ground doing pitchside updates on the weather and injuries with the odd bit of biting social satire with Geoff Shreeves doing the post match interviews. If they don't make someone cry before or after a match a live tiger is released into the stands.

All of this is followed by a full one hour show called something like "Zonal corridor false nine in the hole expose" giving us ignorant uninformed carbon lifeforms a detailed tactical breakdown of the match we have just seen. Its hosted by William Shattner.

:eek:

There's a movie you might like

• Registered Users Posts: 48,742 ✭✭✭✭Wichita Lineman

Dream Team - Liam Brady, Graeme Souness, Alan Hansen, Martin O'Neill with Bill O'Herlihy in the chair. :)

Nightmare scenario - Roy Keane, Alan Shearer, Garth Crooks, Jack Charlton and Eamon Dunphy in the chair. :eek:

Alternative view - Fiona Bruce hosting Rachel Reilly, Holly Willoughby, Louise Redknapp and Eva Carneiro. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Seeing as Giles is no longer going to be around after the Euros its a good chance to have a clear out at RTE.

Eoin McDevitt in the presenters chair. Will never happen though as RTE likes people to pay their dues and Darragh Maloney has done that.

The pundits would be Eamon Dunphy, Ken Early (i'm not a fan but his interaction with Eamo would be hilarious), Didi Hamann and Graham Souness.

George Hamilton and Brian Kerr on commentary.

For Premier League punditry i'd love to see a combination of Neville, Keane, Carragher and Michael Cox. James Richardson in the presenters chair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

As long as there is Brian 'They've been chasing bouncing Czechs all night' Kerr and I'm happy.
    That's even with him as a coco-comentator with Robbie Savage and with the ref in the truck BT coverage.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭loudnoises89

Robbie Keane, Conor McGregor, Joan Burton with Brain Kerr presenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Eoin McDevitt would handle presenter duties - A solid pair of hands, always seems to have done his research and lets people talk without letting them away with murder. Though part of me would like to see Roy Keane on presenter duties, just to see would it even work or how interesting the carnage would be

Brian Kerr - Extremely genial and knowledgable about football. He also happens to be naturally hillarious. People seem to not really love the sound of his voice, but just listen for the content, not how he's saying it.

Souness - If in full on RTE scathing mode - "tippy-tappy football". If in totally neutered Sky Mode - "that was the most thrilling nil all I've ever seen in mah life" - then he may as well stay home.

Neville/Carragher - Interchangable really. There to give us the lowdown on the modern game. Rio Ferdinand is an able alternative.

Johnathan Wilson - Good football journalist. Erudite and eloquent. He'd provide a bit of counter programming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Peter Collins as host.

Danny Murphy, Alan Hansen and Didi Hamann.

Be asleep before kick-off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement