Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plastering costs

Options
  • 09-04-2013 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭

I'm trying to figure out whether to buy premix plaster or get it mixed on site. how much sand & cement would it take to plaster internally a 12mm scratch coat on 675m2 walls and 122m reveals. mixed @ 3/1
    I've been quoted £65 per m and £25 delivery for premixed plaster and they won't budge on the delivery charge - my plasterer reckons he'll need 30 tubs which will be 10 deliveries and just rying to figure out whats my cheapest approach. I can buy sand at £16/t and cement @ £120/t.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭fealeranger

I'm trying to figure out whether to buy premix plaster or get it mixed on site. how much sand & cement would it take to plaster internally a 12mm scratch coat on 675m2 walls and 122m reveals. mixed @ 3/1
    I've been quoted £65 per m and £25 delivery for premixed plaster and they won't budge on the delivery charge - my plasterer reckons he'll need 30 tubs which will be 10 deliveries and just rying to figure out whats my cheapest approach. I can buy sand at £16/t and cement @ £120/t.
    Don't complicate something so simple as a load of good graded quality plastering sand and a pallet of cement. Get a good plasterer in and he will sort you out and it will be well worth your while. I don't know much about the premixed stuff only that I have never heard of anybody using if so that can't be good but this is just my opinion. If I remember I think this premix was intended for the pumping machine that put plaster straight onto the wall and it was then trowled in by the plasterer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Is that premix.plaster like polyfilla as opposed to sand and.cement?

I think they spray it on, trowl it down level then sand it down when dry.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭AnthonyCun

I've used premix before and its not near as good as a load of sand and cement. Probably cheaper too. Haven't lived in Ireland for a few years though so wouldn't be able to quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glengormanjay

Guys what is the quality of a sand and cement internal plastered finish in comparison to that of a skim coat finish? Seems like more and more peopel are going with sand and cement internal finish.
    Thanks
    Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

Definitely go with the sand and cement. One load of sand probably do it and a couple of tonne of cement. Black sand from the Tyrone area recommended and Blue circle cement . Something I didn't realise but my plasterer was really insistent on was cement with a long best before date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Hi all,

Like AntrimGlens, I myself would be interested to know how much sand and cement would be required per m2 of the following;

1.) a scud/mortar and scratch coat and smooth finish coat on an external wall of house, and
    2.) also how much Gypsum Skim Coat it would take to do a m2 of internal skimming on plasterboard. Or how many m2 do you get per 25kg bag of Gypsum Skim Coat.

I have the area's calculated for the outside external walls for smooth finished plaster and the area's calculated internally for skim coat on ceilings and walls (all skim coat internally, as I'm going with Timber Frame, so no need for scud/mortar or scratch coats, all plasterboard internally). just trying to work out quantities for sand, cement and bags of gypsum skim coat so I can get costs together. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

Delfagio,
    has your plasterer said anything to you about the rubbed up finish on the outsidfe of your house - i.e. hairline cracks showing? My plasterer pretty much refused to smooth plaster it as its a two story. I got a price for STO rend which came in at £14,500 and have just got a price for Weber finish at £22/m which equates to about £6300. Going with the weber finish on the externals now. Glad to have made the decision and just go for it after months of swaying between finishes,

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭delfagio

Hi Antrimglens,

No I haven't been told anything about smooth plaster finish on external walls cracking. This is the 1st I have heard of it. I must look into this. Thanks for letting us know Antrimglens. God that STO seems pricey, I'll check out the Weber finish.

Advertisement