Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Job Advice in relation do doing a Masters

Options
  • 09-04-2013 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi, I have posted this on Reddit /r/Ireland but haven't gotten any feedback really. I would really appreciate any help or comments on the situation.

I'm currently finishing up an Hons degree here in Waterford, and I have been conditionally accepted to a Masters in UCD; starting September, which I am both excited and nervous about.

It's a 1 year M.Sc. in Computer Science (taught).

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the situation I am likely going to find myself in. I would like/need to find a job and work throughout the year to sustain myself while living there.

Also, I will be finishing my current degree around 15th of May, and really, I want to move up straight away and start working.

I think my problem is that I need to look for a company that will take me on initially for the summer full time, and transition to part time from September on.
    So does anyone have any experience, or actually, any advice regarding working while doing an M.Sc.? Or anything relating to the course itself that I would find useful, anything at all?

Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭Lunafizzle

Hi Hobes

I'm currently doing a one year taught masters, in a different area - psych, so I don't know whether my experience of postgraduate education will be transferable for computer science (but I thought I'd throw my hat into the ring anyway!).

Tbh a 1 year full time masters can be intense - I'll be finished my taught classes in a few weeks and have a mountain of end of semester assignments to complete in the meantime. Every week there has always been something due so you really have to keep on top of your work. Sometimes your weekends are swallowed up with the workload. (Sorry if I paint a pretty negative picture thus far).

I know some people who work weekends and are managing - but the quality of their work is affected leading to lower grades. Before you commit to this course I'd recommend that you contact the course coordinator to outline how many hours of classes you will have a week and what will the assignments consist of, and the requirements of our thesis.

Alternatively, if money is tight, you could take a year out and save money. A lot of my friends did that and seem to be doing ok. Plus, the break would mean that you won't get burnout at this stage of your masters as you've had some time away from full time education

Buuuut, saying that, I'm sure if you head up straight after you finish your degree and are proactive in seeking work, I can't see why you wouldn't be able to find casual work to tie you over. On the other hand, finding full-time contract work would be tricky as I'd reckon that employers would be hesitant to offer full time hours upfront if you were then moving into a full time course a few months later.

Well, these are just a few things to consider
    I hope that helps
    LF

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hobes

Thanks for the detailed and informative reply.

I have to spend some time thinking about this and talk to some people. I need to find out about other possible funding or if my family can provide the financial assistance to sustain the year.

I think I will still be moving up, to work as pretty much anything in the meantime, although I may end up working for a year to save enough to sustain myself for the course the following year.

OK well, I'm still undecided now, but I do thank you for your input.

Advertisement