Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Milky Way

Options
  • 09-04-2013 11:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭

Hello folks,

Is there anywhere on the island of Ireland where the Milky Way is visible on a clear night?

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 959 ✭✭✭ZeRoY

Hello folks,

Is there anywhere on the island of Ireland where the Milky Way is visible on a clear night?

Cheers.

If you mean by naked eye then I guess yes, in some non-light polluted counties like Leitrim for instance, see this images of Ireland at night:

ireland_wide_large_dmsp.gif

(sources: Kerry Astronomy Club)

But if you are talking about via photographic techniques then its well doable also using long exposures!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

Hello folks,

Cheers.

Yeah, practically everywhere ... just not in big towns/cities. I regularly see it spangled from horizon to horizon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 328 ✭✭Justin1982

You'll see it in the Midlands in the countryside, about 10 miles from any town at least. Just got to let your eyes adjust to dark, know what your looking for, get a good clear night and be out at the right time of year. Then when you look up you'll see it stretching the whole way across the sky.

Thing is that if you were not told about it then you might not notice it. One can look up and just see stars unless you know what to look for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 343 ✭✭Chop Chop

Justin1982 wrote: »
    You'll see it in the Midlands in the countryside, about 10 miles from any town at least. Just got to let your eyes adjust to dark, know what your looking for, get a good clear night and be out at the right time of year. Then when you look up you'll see it stretching the whole way across the sky.

Thing is that if you were not told about it then you might not notice it. One can look up and just see stars unless you know what to look for.

I used to be able to see it in Wexford, but not in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭ps200306

I see it from Wexford all the time -- on the light pollution map shown earlier I'm in the only black spot on the east coast ... in that triangle between Gorey, Enniscorthy and Wexford town. I never see it from Dublin. In fact you should be able to see it from any of those blue areas on the map. Most of the black ones are mountains, and cloudy three quarters of the time.

• Advertisement
Advertisement