Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

iPhone Unlock

• 09-04-2013 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

No that shouldn't happen but there was posts here before of apple replacing an unlocked phone and that became locked after the sim was put in but apple were clueless about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,941 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

I wanted to avoid starting a new thread, but I just bought a new iPhone 5 32gb and will be selling my old 4s 32gb (i kept it white ;) )

Emobile have submitted the unlock request. My question is:

Do I need to wait to unlock it with iTunes, or can the new owner do this with a different iTunes account? I plan to sell it on ebay and will put a 10 day sale period on it, so that when the new owner receives it, the unlock will be ready for them to do, but only if they caan do it on another iTunes account. Can they do this, or must I wait for the unlok before I sell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

Anybody can do the update/restore to unlock.
    I'd save the heart ache and wouldn't sell till you get the notification it's gone through.
    I've waited anywhere from 2 days-2weeks in the past sometimes with multiple calls before it was finally done.

Anybody can do the update/restore to unlock.
    I'd save the heart ache and wouldn't sell till you get the notification it's gone through.
    I've waited anywhere from 2 days-2weeks in the past sometimes with multiple calls before it was finally done.

Cheers. I will do that. Wondering what price to sell for. I see the 16GB models are fetching high prices, even when they are locked. My 4s is 64GB in near perfect nick, with barely visible scratches on the back. It's been in a case since I got it and can only guess the tiny scrapes are from dirt getting in behind the case, or when I was changing case :confused:

Screen has always been protected, so is perfect. I take care of my phones, so I hope I get a good price, but not sure what price to start with. I have all the goods and the box too.

• Advertisement

The biggest problem you have is unless someone really needs the extra space, I can't see it selling for anywhere near the price of a 16gb iPhone 5

guil wrote: »
    The biggest problem you have is unless someone really needs the extra space, I can't see it selling for anywhere near the price of a 16gb iPhone 5

Well I see a 16GB on ebay ireland currently selling for €315 and there is still 3 days left on the bidding. I think I will start an auction at €300 and offer free Irish postage. One of the sites you can sell your phone on is offering €290, so I reckon I should get more than that.

The new iPhone 32GB cost me €389 on my bill plan. I know I didn'y need more space than that. If I cover the cost of my upgrade (but downgrade on space) I will be chuffed. Some f the sellers are asking for €450 and above for an unlocked used 16GB model :eek:

Also a lot of people prefer the 4S to the iPhone 5. My colleague being one of them. He could have got a free iPnone 5 16GB 3 weeks ago, but instead he opted for the free 4S, because he thinks it's a better, more robust phone.

Today I got the iPhone unlock email, but it says that when the phone is unlocked, that it will lock to the network of the sim inserted. Is this right? Seems a bit odd. I have someone who wants the phone and is happy to pay €350, so that almost covers my upgrade cost of €389, which is fine by me. I have pasted the Emobile email below. Any thoughts?

Dear Goz83,

We are delighted to inform you that your iPhone is now ready to be unlocked. In order to fully unlock the phone you will need to follow the below steps:

1. Place the SIM card of the new operator you wish to move to into the iPhone.
    2. The iPhone will then 'Brick' (a security feature) and will require a connection to iTunes to perform a 'Customer Restore'.
    3. iTunes will detect the IMEI of the device and search for updates (this normal and is performed every time the iPhone is connected to iTunes).
    4. iTunes will detected the new SIM and that the 'Unlock Key' is available. It will then deploy the Unlock Key to the device.
    5. From here, the iPhone (still connected to iTunes) will perform the standard un-brick process which includes:

i. Check for latest Software update
    ii. Perform a customer restore (SYNC)

During this process, your iPhone will detect the SIM of a new network operator and iTunes will deploy the necessary 'Carrier Bundle' to the phone. This contains the correct settings for the new network operator, which also includes the operators' 'Network Lock'.

This means that your iPhone will then become locked to the new network.

Once the syncing is complete your phone is now ready for use with another network operator.

If you need to unlock your iPhone again you will need to contact the network operator the phone is now locked to. You can find this information by going to settings > General > About and beside 'Carrier' the network operator will be displayed.

I hope you find this information useful.

Kind Regards,

The eMobile Care Team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

goz83 wrote: »
    Today I got the iPhone unlock email, but it says that when the phone is unlocked, that it will lock to the network of the sim inserted. Is this right? Seems a bit odd. I have someone who wants the phone and is happy to pay €350, so that almost covers my upgrade cost of €389, which is fine by me. I have pasted the Emobile email below. Any thoughts?

Dear Goz83,

We are delighted to inform you that your iPhone is now ready to be unlocked. In order to fully unlock the phone you will need to follow the below steps:

1. Place the SIM card of the new operator you wish to move to into the iPhone.
    2. The iPhone will then 'Brick' (a security feature) and will require a connection to iTunes to perform a 'Customer Restore'.
    3. iTunes will detect the IMEI of the device and search for updates (this normal and is performed every time the iPhone is connected to iTunes).
    4. iTunes will detected the new SIM and that the 'Unlock Key' is available. It will then deploy the Unlock Key to the device.
    5. From here, the iPhone (still connected to iTunes) will perform the standard un-brick process which includes:

i. Check for latest Software update
    ii. Perform a customer restore (SYNC)

During this process, your iPhone will detect the SIM of a new network operator and iTunes will deploy the necessary 'Carrier Bundle' to the phone. This contains the correct settings for the new network operator, which also includes the operators' 'Network Lock'.

This means that your iPhone will then become locked to the new network.

Once the syncing is complete your phone is now ready for use with another network operator.

If you need to unlock your iPhone again you will need to contact the network operator the phone is now locked to. You can find this information by going to settings > General > About and beside 'Carrier' the network operator will be displayed.

I hope you find this information useful.

Kind Regards,

The eMobile Care Team.

No, this is false. It will be unlocked to all networks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭CathalDublin

As mentioned above, this email they send out is wrong, it will be unlocked to all networks.

• Advertisement

EMobile really haven't a clue. The amount of wrong stuff they post on their forums about iPhones. Even above they say restore is syncing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 278 ✭✭Lockster

I am getting an upgrade and plan to give my iPhone 4S to my wife. I have already requested the unlock from emobile and received the same email as above.

This will be her first iPhone, so I plan to restore it as a new phone and then use her existing apple id to set up the phone. She is on O2 so she will have to get a micro sim card from them. I just wondered what it the best practice, is it to unlock the phone using the O2 when connected to my itunes account before restoring the phone or should I restore the phone before carrying out the unlock?

Thanks

But will unlock the phone, when you restore it a message will come up saying congratulations your iPhone is unlocked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

But will unlock the phone, when you restore it a message will come up saying congratulations your iPhone is unlocked

Sorry guys for asking a silly question about all the above but I am very confused. Could do with help with the following:

- friend doesn't like his new iPhone 5, he's just bought it on prepay
    - I wanna buy it (I have an old iPhone 3s)
    i) can he just get an unlock code from the phone provider even though its just new
    ii) if i buy it, and put my sim in and then plug it into my iMac/itunes - what will happen. I don't want anything to break down, I wanna use it legally etc but I want it to work. Do I simply just plug it into itunes and restore?

Thanks - sorry bout the silly replies.

karlitob wrote: »
    Sorry guys for asking a silly question about all the above but I am very confused. Could do with help with the following:

- friend doesn't like his new iPhone 5, he's just bought it on prepay
    - I wanna buy it (I have an old iPhone 3s)
    i) can he just get an unlock code from the phone provider even though its just new
    ii) if i buy it, and put my sim in and then plug it into my iMac/itunes - what will happen. I don't want anything to break down, I wanna use it legally etc but I want it to work. Do I simply just plug it into itunes and restore?

Thanks - sorry bout the silly replies.
    If both of you are on the same network there is no need to get it unlocked, some networks will only unlock it after the contract is up as well.
    If you connect it to itunes nothing will happen.

Actually i read that wrong about him buying the phone but generally you have to spend €150 on credit in the last 6 months for an unlock

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭karlitob

If both of you are on the same network there is no need to get it unlocked, some networks will only unlock it after the contract is up as well.
    If you connect it to itunes nothing will happen.

Actually i read that wrong about him buying the phone but generally you have to spend €150 on credit in the last 6 months for an unlock

Cool - thanks for that. Just a point on me using the phone then. If I plugged the unlock phone into my itunes - I def won't feck up my mac or itunes or mac account or anything like that?

No definitely not

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭SpongeBob2000

goz83 wrote: »
    I wanted to avoid starting a new thread, but I just bought a new iPhone 5 32gb and will be selling my old 4s 32gb (i kept it white ;) )

Emobile have submitted the unlock request. My question is:

Do I need to wait to unlock it with iTunes, or can the new owner do this with a different iTunes account? I plan to sell it on ebay and will put a 10 day sale period on it, so that when the new owner receives it, the unlock will be ready for them to do, but only if they caan do it on another iTunes account. Can they do this, or must I wait for the unlok before I sell?

Hi

Did you unlock your phone at the end? Was it blocked by the other network? I got the same message and too scared to unlock it!

Thanks?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

It is the handset that is unlocked over the air, it doesn't matter who is possession of it. You simply connect to iTunes and the Apple unlock command is sent to it, as per request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clmedin

Hi, I got the same email from Meteor, any update above? someone was able to connect with different network?

• Advertisement

clmedin wrote: »
    Hi, I got the same email from Meteor, any update above? someone was able to connect with different network?

Once unlocked it's always unlocked.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,996 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

clmedin wrote: »

You re-opened a 12 month old thread to ask the same thing that had been answered repeatedly already?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 21 freelife2014

I think it correct for privacy's sake.

Advertisement