Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes expected for the 457 visa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15 PS1985

Mellor wrote: »
    It was probably already approved based on the nomination.

Did immigration tell him that directly, or was it from the employer/agent.

They'll can only grant a visa for a long as the nomination term. If would only give 12 months, it sounds like that's what they employer put down on the nomination form.

The immigration only give 1 year even though they asked for 4, when they asked they were told new rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

PS1985 wrote: »
    The immigration only give 1 year even though they asked for 4, when they asked they were told new rules.

Is the business less than 12 months old or does the employer actually employ any Permanent residents other than themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Lodged mine nearly three months ago and only the nomination has been approved! the wait is doing my head in. Can't book flights home or do anything until it gets approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

Certain industries being more stringently checked than others. I have heard Project administrators (the job title under which general office workers were often sponsored) now have to undergo a test to prove office skills (word, excel etc).

I also imagine titles like hospitality management are being checked to ensure its not being abused to hire cheap wait staff/bar staff/cleaners.

Did you submit your qualifications with the application Mark? If your in a genuine management role and the employer nomination got approved, you should be right.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Batgurl wrote: »
    Certain industries being more stringently checked than others. I have heard Project administrators (the job title under which general office workers were often sponsored) now have to undergo a test to prove office skills (word, excel etc).

I also imagine titles like hospitality management are being checked to ensure its not being abused to hire cheap wait staff/bar staff/cleaners.

Did you submit your qualifications with the application Mark? If your in a genuine management role and the employer nomination got approved, you should be right.

Yup sent a copy of the degree with my application. Wonder if the agent will refund the $3k if I don't get it?! :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Yup sent a copy of the degree with my application. Wonder if the agent will refund the $3k if I don't get it?! :confused:

I doubt it. Why would they?
    You hired them to apply for the visa for you, not to guarantee the visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

If you have a degree in hospitality management or something along those lines you should be fine. If you have a degree in mech eng, less so.

Lodged mine nearly three months ago and only the nomination has been approved! the wait is doing my head in. Can't book flights home or do anything until it gets approved.

You had any luck yet Mark? A 457 nomination that was lodged in August/September by our office was just approved last week.

Person is coming from our UK offices so probably easier to prove the skills & need etc. was still surprised it was so quick though.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

The service provider still has ethical obligations

ifeelill wrote: »
    The service provider still has ethical obligations

What ethical obligations?
    Ate you suggesting its unethical for them to revieve payment for a refused application?

They would be obliged to follow up in any way they could, but the case officer normally allows for that before making a decision

• Advertisement

What ethical obligations?
    Ate you suggesting its unethical for them to revieve payment for a refused application?

Only if they knew at the point of inception that the visa application would fail. Im not suggesting that this is the case with this particular person. I am merely pointing out that it is unethical to take a persons money if they know from the start that the application will be refused.

Only if they knew at the point of inception that the visa application would fail. Im not suggesting that this is the case with this particular person. I am merely pointing out that it is unethical to take a persons money if they know from the start that the application will be refused.
    Obviously its unethical to take money if they know it would be refused. But I'm not sure why you are bringing that up it. Whats the relevance to the posts below?
    Wonder if the agent will refund the $3k if I don't get it?!
    Mellor wrote:

I just don't how the agents ethics affect a refund, if he unethically took on an application, he isn't going to refund it.
    Apologies if I'm missing something, its Monday after all.

Originally Posted by Mellor

I was answering your question. Unethical behavior being one possible outcome to a refund

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Hey Guy,

Quick questions, I was in a bar of all places and someone told me that there are some changes happening to the 457 at the end of the month that will make it harder to get sponsored. I am aware of the changes around the election but is any else due to change? I'm meant to get sponsored around December but if things are going to get more difficult i might try to push it through.

Thanks for your help.

Nope. Anything that did change, changed on 1 July

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭irishturkey

Missus applied on the 30th August, was told last week that no applications post 29th June have been dealt with yet. Guess that's a pile of **** then.

Also, is there any truth to the story that if a politician gets involved, your application gets shelved or at least put to the bottom of the pile?

I love Australia, but they badly need someone to go have a look at what's actually needed instead of having a random guess. I'm waiting to apply for my defacto once hers gets accepted, Ireland is no fun at the moment.

I'm waiting to apply for my defacto once hers gets accepted

Why didn't you just apply for it all together? You'll be playing another waiting game now if hers does get approved.

What do you mean about politicians? Irish or Australian? I've never heard that about either but I can't imagine it would make a blind bit of difference. IMMI don't really go in for the parish pump politics mentality over here. They get to it when they get to it.

New information on the net suggests that Abbott will be reversing the Labour amendments to the 457 visa program but Scott Morrison prewarns employers.

[/QUOTE]
    THE Coalition has warned employers who abuse the 457 visa program they will be punished as brutally as people-smugglers, prompting renewed demands from business for the government to urgently repeal Labor's crackdown on the scheme for skilled foreign workers.

Batgurl wrote: »
    Why didn't you just apply for it all together? You'll be playing another waiting game now if hers does get approved.

What do you mean about politicians? Irish or Australian? I've never heard that about either but I can't imagine it would make a blind bit of difference. IMMI don't really go in for the parish pump politics mentality over here. They get to it when they get to it.

We were/are dealing with an immigration agent in Sydney and it's on their advice were applying separately. Without trying to sound like a dick, nobody is more aware than me that it's another waiting game once hers gets approved.

I have a cousin in canada who was having visa problems and got in contact with a local politician over there and things got moving quickly after that. It turned out that her application had been approved but nobody had bothered to tell her, at this stage I'm willing to try anything to work out what's going on.

I have a cousin in canada who was having visa problems and got in contact with a local politician over there and things got moving quickly after that. It turned out that her application had been approved but nobody had bothered to tell her

Contact your agent. Hound them! Fck it your probably paying them enough for the pleasure. Although telling you to apply separately and telling you nothing has been processed since 29 June? Sounds like they are jacking you around.

• Advertisement

We were/are dealing with an immigration agent in Sydney and it's on their advice were applying separately. Without trying to sound like a dick, nobody is more aware than me that it's another waiting game once hers gets approved.

Applying separately means two application charges, and also additional agent fees (conveniently). Did they give any reason behind that advice. As it really drags it out for you.

Is this a 457 visa?

Applying separately means two application charges, and also additional agent fees (conveniently). Did they give any reason behind that advice. As it really drags it out for you.

Is this a 457 visa?

Yes it's a 457, her company are paying for it and they seemed to think it would be quicker to go this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

New information on the net suggests that Abbott will be reversing the Labour amendments to the 457 visa program but Scott Morrison prewarns employers.

THE Coalition has warned employers who abuse the 457 visa program they will be punished as brutally as people-smugglers, prompting renewed demands from business for the government to urgently repeal Labor's crackdown on the scheme for skilled foreign workers.

I seen this myself but how long can we expect before anything changes and will anything change at all??

So the missus got hers, only took 2 weeks once it got a case officer looking at it. Might get back for Christmas yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

So the missus got hers, only took 2 weeks once it got a case officer looking at it. Might get back for Christmas yet...

My other halfs de facto got approved last week, took 6 weeks from application.

Noo wrote: »
    My other halfs de facto got approved last week, took 6 weeks from application.
    My missus' standalone 457 de facto too 7 days from application.

There'll be IrishTurkey for Xmas hahaha

Got mine today. Took 2 weeks. I'm outta here!

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭thedarksh1te

Very informative thread! I've been given the nod yesterday for sponsorship. As long as I foot the bill (I'm aware this is illegal but all of my friends here have paid for theirs). I'm concerned about the changes last year, specifically the one for the employer to prove they spend 1% on training existing employees! I'm not aware of any training of my colleagues! Anybody have any issues with this? Also is the fee for me and my GF (defacto) $1800???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I've been given the nod yesterday for sponsorship. As long as I foot the bill (I'm aware this is illegal but all of my friends here have paid for theirs).
    I'd be very careful with this, this sponsor could think you're desperate and treat you like ****e when it suits and then dump you as soon as they need to. It's a win win for them and a lose lose for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

I'm pretty much in the exact same boat as dark, Sucks having to pay for it. Everyone I know the company paid for them.
    By law is the company meant to apply on your behalf and pay for it? is there a break down of the different costs or is it just one lump some of 1035$?
    Also can anyone tell me what I need to apply? I work in IT and have a degree with over 5 years exp. Do I have to get in contact with my college to get some prove of that?
    Also do I need a garda check and get a medical? If there's anything else I'm missing please let me know.
    Thanks

Advertisement