Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes expected for the 457 visa

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,269 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Batgurl wrote: »
    @Mellor: I understand your point but I imagine this would be the minority as opposed to the majority.
    Thanks for that bit.
    I'm aware the 457 is abused, I've never denied that. And maybe my impression is off due to a poor performing industry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

ArseBurger wrote: »
    Not even attempting to integrate into society. Giving genuine folk here a bad reputation.
    That's the story of Australia!
    bloody-boat-people_reuben-brand.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    Thanks for that bit.
    I'm aware the 457 is abused, I've never denied that. And maybe my impression is off due to a poor performing industry.

Maybe the occupation should have been removed from the CSOL, if an industry is failing you don't really need to import more workers as there wouldn't the demand.

I wouldn't have been surprised if it was removed from the CSOL in 2012 early 2013 tbh. The problem was more to do with lack of payment, rather than lack of work. So companies have work to keep staff busy, but then can't get paid afterwards. It's nowhere near the extreme end of ireland circa 2008. But its been enough to prevent me taking the risk of going out on my own. I simply couldn't afford a bad debt.
    It's turned around a bit the last 6 months, if 2014 is a good year I might take the plunge.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

catbear wrote: »
    That's the story of Australia!

I think his point is about Irish people coming over to Oz only to stick with the same crowd, get pissed 5 nights of the week, cause argo to the locals and basicly treat the place like Santa Ponza. Then they feck off once their saved up dole money runs out leaving a bad rep for genuine people who want to make a go of it. Certainly there are more tensions now about it than say 5 or 10 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭ifeelill

jank wrote: »
    I think his point is about Irish people coming over to Oz only to stick with the same crowd, get pissed 5 nights of the week, cause argo to the locals and basicly treat the place like Santa Ponza. Then they feck off once their saved up dole money runs out leaving a bad rep for genuine people who want to make a go of it. Certainly there are more tensions now about it than say 5 or 10 years ago.

Bit of a sweeping generalization to paint the entire mob with one brush.

Perhaps you've been watching too much today tonight?

The old joke about the difference between the first settlements of America and Australia; when the pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock they kneeled and gave thanks, when the first convict ship arrived in Australia they had an orgy.

Here's more about that myth

ifeelill wrote: »

Perhaps you've been watching too much today tonight?

Yet, where did I say this applies to all Irish people?

The old joke about the difference between the first settlements of America and Australia; when the pilgrims landed on Plymouth Rock they kneeled and gave thanks, when the first convict ship arrived in Australia they had an orgy.

Here's more about that myth

I never heard about that before but if anyone has been to SA you will definately feel that there is a different culture of people who live there than say Sydney in general. This is due of course to SA being a Free state settlement i.e. no convicts...

I never heard about that before but if anyone has been to SA you will definately feel that there is a different culture of people who live there than say Sydney in general. This is due of course to SA being a Free state settlement i.e. no convicts...
    1 out of 8 states settled freely! Eeek. No wonder new zealand felt completely different.

• Advertisement

You're a self hating Irishman admit it, it'll make a great story.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/today-tonight/contactus/

1 out of 8 states settled freely! Eeek. No wonder new zealand felt completely different.
    There's 6 states, not 8. I'm not just being pedantic about the territories, when it's said SA is the only state freely settled, it likely refers to actual states.

Some of the first European settlers in NZ were convicts too btw.

ifeelill wrote: »

Don't think he did .... he just shares what a lot of other people think, I have 2 Irish friends who both have their own construction businesses and won't hire anyone who is not a PR (Irish or not). Both have Irish guys working for them but they won't employ anyone who is on a temporary visa, are these self hating Irishmen too?

Jank is a PR.... he just sees it differently than you.

Michael_Jackson_popcorn.gif

Ah so your just a troll..it figures….

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭6541

Irish people should stick together and make no apology for that. Has anyone on here been to the Bronx in NY. Massive Irish community. In fact I think Irish people in oz need to be more organised. We need Irish owned pubs, cabs, cafe's etc.
    I recall when Irish lads used to be getting mugged on McLean Avenue the Irish were so organised that other Irish used to take turns patrolling the streets keeping a watchful eye on their Irish brothers and sisters.

6541 wrote: »
    Irish people should stick together and make no apology for that. Has anyone on here been to the Bronx in NY. Massive Irish community. In fact I think Irish people in oz need to be more organised. We need Irish owned pubs, cabs, cafe's etc.
    I recall when Irish lads used to be getting mugged on McLean Avenue the Irish were so organised that other Irish used to take turns patrolling the streets keeping a watchful eye on their Irish brothers and sisters.
    Yeah, life in the Irish ghettos of Australia is so tough, not!

Yeah, life in the Irish ghettos of Australia is so tough, not!

I know, but in context I for one think that Irish people sticking together is a good thing! And McLean Avenue is not a ghetto ;)

I know, but in context I for one think that Irish people sticking together is a good thing! And McLean Avenue is not a ghetto ;)
    Irish people who want to hang out with other Irish people do that anyway in Irish clubs etc...
    I can't envisage a need for Irish people in Australia to form private militias to "patrol the streets".
    Anyway as you're on this thread what's your interest in changes to the 457 visa or are you just trying to flog a few black beret and balaclava sets?

Irish people who want to hang out with other Irish people do that anyway in Irish clubs etc...
    I can't envisage a need for Irish people in Australia to form private militias to "patrol the streets".
    Anyway as you're on this thread what's your interest in changes to the 457 visa or are you just trying to flog a few black beret and balaclava sets?

Ha, anyone for the last balaclava! I did the WHV thing for two years and was in and out of Oz for over 5 years after that, often having to embark on visa runs. I have connections all over Sydney and Perth. In fact I am part of the real Bondi Mafia ;) ( graduated from the magical tea gardens to the more hip beach road lol - If you know some of the permanent Irish Bondi residents you will know what I mean by that statement!) I work as a professional in Ireland at the moment and I must say I am still toying with the idea of a permanent move.
    The issue I have is one of a gamble, I have a Permanent, pensionable, skilled job, but our little island is in trouble now and not a fun place to live.
    On the other hand life is short and maybe one should throw caution to the wind and move to Sydney be that with a quicker entry of 457 or slower 175 entry !
    This is why I keep an eye on developments in Australia as it has been a part of my life for over seven years !

• Advertisement

Ha, anyone for the last balaclava! I did the WHV thing for two years and was in and out of Oz for over 5 years after that, often having to embark on visa runs. I have connections all over Sydney and Perth. In fact I am part of the real Bondi Mafia ;) ( graduated from the magical tea gardens to the more hip beach road lol - If you know some of the permanent Irish Bondi residents you will know what I mean by that statement!) I work as a professional in Ireland at the moment and I must say I am still toying with the idea of a permanent move.
    The issue I have is one of a gamble, I have a Permanent, pensionable, skilled job, but our little island is in trouble now and not a fun place to live.
    On the other hand life is short and maybe one should throw caution to the wind and move to Sydney be that with a quicker entry of 457 or slower 175 entry !
    This is why I keep an eye on developments in Australia as it has been a part of my life for over seven years !

Well Walter Mitty I would say the 175 visa might be the slow entry alright.... Very very very slow.

Obviously your skilled job has distracted your keen eye on the old visa developments.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Well Walter Mitty I would say the 175 visa might be the slow entry alright.... Very very very slow.

Obviously your skilled job has distracted your keen eye on the old visa developments.

Sorry pal 189 !

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭menuisier

Hey Guy,

Not sure if anything can answer this but if someone can shed some light on it that would be great. I was offered sponsorship awhile ago but haven't applied yet as I had to pay the visa costs and I couldn't nail down my boss to speak to him about it as I work in a different office anyway at the end of the month my first 6 months with this employer with be over on my second working holiday visa so at least I don't have to worry about leaving the country.

So basically I have two weeks to apply and hopefully get a work extension to continues to work while the application is being processed so whats im asking is can I get it done? I have letters of recommendation from old bosses and my exam results already. Being out of work would make things very difficult for me!

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

menuisier wrote: »
    Hey Guy,

Not sure if anything can answer this but if someone can shed some light on it that would be great. I was offered sponsorship awhile ago but haven't applied yet as I had to pay the visa costs and I couldn't nail down my boss to speak to him about it as I work in a different office anyway at the end of the month my first 6 months with this employer with be over on my second working holiday visa so at least I don't have to worry about leaving the country.

So basically I have two weeks to apply and hopefully get a work extension to continues to work while the application is being processed so whats im asking is can I get it done? I have letters of recommendation from old bosses and my exam results already. Being out of work would make things very difficult for me!

Thanks in advance

Hi there,
    it is possible but there is a lot to get done in that short timeframe - not just from your side but also from the employer's side so I hope they don't drag their heels.

I guy came to me with less than 24 hours to spare but was able to get him sorted so if you have everything in place, it can be done.

Declan Clune

menuisier wrote: »
    Hey Guy,

Thanks in advance
    It's now been ten days so hopefully you've made progress.
    I think it'll be fine. two weeks is plenty of time to get the information in, a 457 application is straight forward, its just a few forms and some company info like turnover, staff, ACIS, ABN, etc...this is all easy to find for a sort of organised company. The training requirement might have been developed a bit in recent years, but if you meet it you'll be fine.

While not technically acceptable, going over the 6 months before you get the visa application in is not that big a deal. Nothing like going over the 12 months of your visa, and even if you did that you are still ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this

I'm sponsored on a 457 and it looks like I'm going to be promoted (wuhoo!!) to manager level. Does this effect my sponsorship given that I was sponsored in the position I am now (with that job title on the sponsorship)

It would probably depend on the duties of the role rather than the specific title. Does the new role still fit the same ASCO code?
    For example, somebody sponsored as an architect or engineer and promoted to senior architect or engineer. While is could be seen as a managing role, its still the same field so it fits the previous ASCO code.

If it was a totally unrelated job, it would probably need a new 457 application.

Most cases would probably fall somewhere between the two. If you are unsure talk to immigration

Finance Analyst to Finance Manager

Basically just a step up the chain and I was sponsored as accountant (general)

Would Finance Analyst/Finance Manager still technically be a type of accountant?
    Is it under a separate ASCO code, or is it just a form of specialization within accountancy.

• Advertisement

I see on the CSOL that Finance Manager is a separate ANZSCO code alright to accountant (general) which I applied under

Basically the job is what I do now but to a more advanced level (doing my bosses job in essence)

maybe I should get our HR dept to check

Advertisement