Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS watch with distance timer

Options
  • 09-04-2013 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭

Hi looking to get my first GPS watch and was thinking of the garmin range.

The basics i need are a HRM and a way to time say 200m sprints. For eaxmple if I want to run 5*200M is there any watch I can program to time these. Say press a button and the timer starts for my 1st rep, then stop once i have hit 200m. The press again to start 2 rep and so on.....

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Most of the Garmin GPS watches from mid-range and up let you set up workout/training regimes using Garmin's Training Centre software.

It includes setting up complicated workouts like you mention where you run at X pace until you hit the lap button, then you do a 200m sprint, etc etc.

Or simpler ones which are just intervals - 200m sprint, 3min breather, 200m sprint, 3min breather, etc.

For short distance stuff like 200m, it may not be ideal as the GPS lock can be off. So your first interval might only clock 180m before it tells you to stop, the next one might clock 215m, etc. On average your intervals will probably be around 200m, but you can't really beat running a known and measured 200m such as on a track.
    The exact distance is less important for longer distances.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Thanks for that Seamus.

Just wondering about the Nike watches. Look a lot nicer than the Garmin ones.

Can they do this kinda stuff.

On the Garmin I presumer the 210,410 and 610 can do the training regimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

You need to check the specs on each one to see if it can do the training regimes.

Entry-level gear like the 110/210 usually can't but mid-level (410) and up usually can.

Looking briefly at the Nike+ watch, it doesn't look like it can do workout/training. But then I know it can connect to a Nike+ app on a phone, so maybe you can access more advanced functionality if you carry your phone while you run.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭PureBred

Got the 410 in the end. Didn't trust the Nike+ one after a lot of bad reviews.

£140 delivered with HRM from Amazon so didn't do too bad.

Advertisement