Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iban

Options
  • 09-04-2013 1:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭

Can Iban be hacked. I have never used this service. I have an ebay buyer looking to send me money through my account

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi cena,

Thanks for posting.

Your IBAN is an international form of your bank account number and sort code so we would always advise customers to be careful of who they give these details to.

If somebody is sending money to your account from another country, your IBAN and Swift would be needed.

If you are concerned about giving your IBAN to someone, there may be alternative methods of making a payment on eBay.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,021 ✭✭✭✭cena

They say they can't use paypal. I have asked them if they well use western union. How safe is IBAN to use. Can they get into my account and take money out  of it unknown to me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Billy

Hi cena,

Somebody can only lodge to your account with an IBAN.

As long as you don't give include any password information for Banking 365 or personal details such as mothers maiden name, date of birth, etc, there should be no security issues with giving your IBAN to someone.

Thanks

Billy

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Legislator

Hi cena,

Somebody can only lodge to your account with an IBAN.

As long as you don't give include any password information for Banking 365 or personal details such as mothers maiden name, date of birth, etc, there should be no security issues with giving your IBAN to someone.

Thanks

Billy
    Not quiet true. It is possible that a SEPA direct debit could be collected on the account all though it would be unauthorised, in which event you would be entitled to a full refund. I would be happy to provide my IBAN in the same circumstances

• Registered Users Posts: 19,020 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Paying for stuff on eBay by bank transfer to the seller's account is still the most popular way in Germany. Indeed, many retailers still take payment this way and some offer a discount if you pay like this. If the proper security protocols are in place then an IBAN is no use to a would be thief. Indeed, German debit cards have the account number and sort code on them!

• Advertisement
Advertisement