Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basel V Spurs

Options
  • 09-04-2013 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Could be our last game in the Europa on Thursday.:mad:
    But i am actually fairly optimistic.
    We know what we have to do.. (win)..
    I find it a lot trickier, when we are in a position of "dont lose" or "a draw will do"...
    Im hoping Basle will sit back, and we'll try to pick the locks....
    We wont have the pace to hit them on the break.

Im hoping/praying for a 1-2 win.
    Ade to continue his rich vein of form!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Yeah it'd be nice for Ade to get another goal or two. No game at the weekend, so no need to hold back. Full squad and really go for it. I believe they haven't lost a game at home this season so it'll be a tough match but we certainly have a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 minihey

I wont be overly disappointed if we dont win because the race for a champions league spot is really heating up and we need to focus on that more than anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

they batter us for 90 mins and we win 1-0...happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm with Minihey, would settle for a1-1 draw and go out. give some of the young lads a game. Also would play Huddlestone and some other fringe players. Would not risk Vert, Mousse or Dawson. If the fringe/young players manage a win then I would be glad to Play them again in the semis. We just cannot afford injuries to any more senior players and expect to get top 4 place. Maybe I am wrong, but i think its unrealistic to think we can win Europa league and attain top 4 finish. Some people would settle for winning the Europa league at the expense of a top 4 finish and I cant argue with that. I Just hope AVB or Levy are realistic, given our squad and injuries. If we go on to do both I will eat my words and swallow my pride and say I got it wrong and be a very happy Spurs fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

what is the point in getting to the quarter final and just bending over ???

we should go ALL out to win this now, even if we dont get 4th but we manage to win the europa league then it will have been a great season

I WANT A TROPHY - and a european one would be great. Winning this will still draw players - it will raise our profile

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Yeah, I've a feeling he will go all out, but with Brad in goals.

I think we'll do it tonight.

COYS

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

mickman wrote: »
    what is the point in getting to the quarter final and just bending over ???

we should go ALL out to win this now, even if we dont get 4th but we manage to win the europa league then it will have been a great season

I WANT A TROPHY - and a european one would be great. Winning this will still draw players - it will raise our profile

Some people like bending over and taking it, few years ago the thoughts of reaching a european semi final would of been mouth watering. Nowadays it's just me'h! It's been 30 years??... since we've reached a semi. I too wanna win something, as I'd imagine do the players.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Some people like bending over and taking it, few years ago the thoughts of reaching a european semi final would of been mouth watering. Nowadays it's just me'h! It's been 30 years??... since we've reached a semi. I too wanna win something, as I'd imagine do the players.

Agree, the game is about glory. The attitude of not taking cups serious has crept into our fan base and can be felt at games as atmosphere is down and people turn up expecting a win and that we have a right to be in the top 4. Lets do this tonight and bring some glory back to WHL.

I'm not saying that we shouldnt try to win, I'm just saying that the last thing that woolwich want to see is us going out of the cup, they have all their time to focus on the league while we have other stuff to focus on; we're at a disadvantage to them in terms of how much we can afford to focus on the league. A champions league place is much better for attracting big players to the club than having won a trophy the previous season. As much as I would love to see us win it, its not all bad if we get knocked out.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Won't get to see the match (5am here) but here's hoping for a relatively comfortable win with no injuries. I want us to win this bloody cup.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Kiith wrote: »
    Won't get to see the match (5am here) but here's hoping for a relatively comfortable win with no injuries. I want us to win this bloody cup.

Me too. This could be our best chance to WIN a major competition in the next number of years. We have already broken the duck of getting into Champions League. For growth, getting in CL again is a big priority but what is the growth for if the ultimate goal is not to WIN something. This is our best chance in a long time!

Europa League to me is behind Premier League but higher than FA Cup in stature. If we get through this round we are only a couple of games from our first major trophy since the FA Cup in 91 (League Cup doesn't count in my book nice and all as it is). I cant understand Spurs fans who are playing this down.

I believe we will win tonight and win comfortably by 2 goals. AVB wants to win this badly and the players do too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

05B4EF37-76DC-45D6-A969-1669F511CEC0-1650-000001C95CE41287_zpsb10b9785.jpg

Seems like some people forget what's written around our stadium. Reckon I'd take winning the cup over top 4.

Winning a cup goes down in history... Not something that happens at spurs often, yet we've finished top 4 twice in the past 3 years

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Emoran wrote: »
    05B4EF37-76DC-45D6-A969-1669F511CEC0-1650-000001C95CE41287_zpsb10b9785.jpg

Seems like some people forget what's written around our stadium. Reckon I'd take winning the cup over top 4.

Winning a cup goes down in history... Not something that happens at spurs often, yet we've finished top 4 twice in the past 3 years

COYS!

What a fcuking cool picture!

I would take winning the Europa League over a top 4 finish any day. We are a football club that should be winning trophies. In all of years as a spurs supporter, all I have for my troubles is a Carling Cup. People might say that the top four is more important, well I am telling you now, the day we won that Carling Cup, I cried and I can remember every detail of it.

The day after we won the Carling Cup, I went out and got THFC tattooed on my upper arm and when I see it everyday it reminds me that on that day back in February 2008, my team were good enough to take on the best and win a trophy. Football is about creating a legacy and while finishing top four is a part of that, each club is ultimately measured by the amount of trophies in the cabinet.

If we win the Europa League, for me, it will be the above times ten. It is not that I would not love to finish top 4, it is that I love my club more and to see them win a European Competition would make me so so proud.

There I said it!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

I think people got fed up with the Europa League because UEFA made a balls of the format. There is an onerous amount of games to win including the dilution of the teams that are there on merit with the addition of teams that got knocked out of the Champions League group stages.. It could be a way better tournament..

It's a mixed bag, I was at the Porto v Braga final in Dublin and the atmosphere was pretty lame, only one team in the game, think Braga went down to ten men too, didn't help with the queens visit shutting the whole city down. But when Atletico Madrid won v Bilbao that was a smashing atmosphere and you could see players and fans full of tears in celebration. Who wouldn't love to see the Spurs get their hands on a European trophy??

Can't wait for this game, full of nerves but I'll have it on record, the phone turned off and I'll be rushing home to watch it about 9.30! Enjoy lads, COYS!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Yeah I'm really looking forward to this one too.

I'm hope I'm not left eating my words but it has the feel of a big night for the club. Fingers crossed!

I'd say if we don't finish in the top 4 we can say goodbye to Bale!

Tottenham: Friedel, Naughton, Dawson, Vertonghen, Walker, Parker, Dembele, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Holtby, Adebayor

Tottenham: Friedel, Naughton, Dawson, Vertonghen, Walker, Parker, Dembele, Dempsey, Sigurdsson, Holtby, Adebayor

Full strength team except for Lorris

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Id be quietly confident that we can at least nick a 3-3 draw with that line up;)

COYS

• Advertisement

High line = lloris.....Christ sake **** sentiment out the window...Hugo should be starting

Dempsey please stop shooting from distance there's a good lad.

Dempsey shooting from anywhere as usual.

****ing YESSSS!!!

Deuce!!!!! Always weighs in with the big goals.

Nice

davycc wrote: »
    Dempsey shooting from anywhere as usual.

Keep up the good work demps:D:D

Get in!!!! Keep it together lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Thought he'd missed :D

COYS !

• Advertisement

****e

Advertisement