Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basel V Spurs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

At least we went out fighting, the closest possible result

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Nice shuffle, wonder does he practice it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Oh well, very poor from Ade in the end but did anyone expect anything different from his penalty? I don't think that's a bad way to go out though, the lads fought until the end with 10 men and can hopefully take something away from it in to the remainder of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Fair play to them, great heart. Ah well CL next year hopefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭galwayjohn89

markesmith wrote: »
    Adebayor has to go in the summer. You don't miss a penalty like that and then give a goofy 'lol idk what i'm doing' type smile

He does my head in. Its as if he doesn't care. Like BAE but at least BAE is good and makes up for it with stupidly good skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,503 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

irishmover wrote: »
    Can focus on league now...

This is where I say it would be a poor season to finish outside top 4 after going so far in Europa.
    leagues ****ed man

What has happened to Ade? I watched last season's DVD and he was amazing!!! Incredible change.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Insp. Harry Callahan

Came close tonight but damage was done at WHL in the 1st leg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

They took great penos in all fairness. We can take some positives, we played well without Bale an Lennon. I thought Holtby had a good game, linked up well. Ade was good for most of it besides his poor peno at the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

We should have stuck a bag of Kerr pinks in our goal for the spotters..make an effort Bradley for Christ sake

• Advertisement

What has happened to Ade? I watched last season's DVD and he was amazing!!! Incredible change.
    4 year contract

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Hard to believe Adebayor gets paid for playing football :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

We should have stuck a bag of Kerr pinks in our goal for the spotters..make an effort Bradley for Christ sake
    He reminds me of Sylvester Stallone :o

the worst thing is in our current slump can you see us beating city or Chelsea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

tom1ie wrote: »
    leagues ****ed man

Yup and all because of this competition. If we miss fourth and end up competing in the Europa again next season, if AVB takes it seriously then my little short lived
    Love in will be over. You need CL football to generate the funds to build a squad that can compete in domestic and Euro competitions. PL is too tough . You can do it in Scotland or Portugal or Holland, not in England.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

leagues ****ed man

How? 6 games left and still well in the pack for CL football. Show even half an ounce of optimism man... We drew tonight with no Lloris, Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Sandro or Kaboul. Then spent extra time with 10 men and lost on penalties. The players didn't do too great but put their heart into it. 10 days off till man city game and surely some of those injured will return. Seasons not over just yet.

I remember the days when it was over in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Being honest, on 100k a week and having done sweet fcuk all season, Ade should have buried his peno.

If we really stand back and look at our top 4 position an Europa run, none of it has been down to prolific strikers. Tonight (or should I say last week) We got found out.......

Should we really have had the 2nd choice goalkeeper in goal for such an important match??

How? 6 games left and still well in the pack for CL football. Show even half an ounce of optimism man... We drew tonight with no Lloris, Bale, Lennon, Defoe, Sandro or Kaboul. Then spent extra time with 10 men and lost on penalties. The players didn't do too great but put their heart into it. 10 days off till man city game and surely some of those injured will return. Seasons not over just yet.

I remember the days when it was over in December.
    we haven't played well since before the pool game. except for 45 mins against Swansea we have been very poor even with bale and lennon. if you think, going on our previous form from the last 6 games, that we'll beat city or Chelsea and claim 4th your in la la land.

Should we really have had the 2nd choice goalkeeper in goal for such an important match??

Exactly what I was thinking the entire match and with the penalty shootouts thought it even more as Friedel isn't very mobile at all. We could have easily have had gone through with Lloris in goal but same could be said if the above mentioned injured players weren't injured.

You guys got what you want, full focus on the league, albeit later than most wanted. Me, I would have loved a trophy aswell as a top 4 spot.

The only good thing is that Chelsea have alot more games than us left to go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Even if Adebayor had of scored, I don't think brad would have saved anyway.

**** it anyway... Gutted

we haven't played well since before the pool game. except for 45 mins against Swansea we have been very poor even with bale and lennon. if you think, going on our previous form from the last 6 games, that we'll beat city or Chelsea and claim 4th your in la la land.

Clubs go in and out of form all season.

As I said, take a look at the table, the games left, the amount of games Chelsea have to play, Arsenal having to play 3 relegation battling sides. The blatant fact Benitez wants a trophy this season and you'll see that you yourself aren't far off la la land.

It is possible, stop being so bloody negative and constant looking at last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

Michael Dawson... Anyone ever slags him off or complains about him will have me to deal with

Captains performance tonight

Deserves to start week in week out with what he does for us

Letting Andros Townsend go on loan is now proving a big mistake, he could have done well tonight- I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing.
    Squad looked very stretched tonight

Clubs go in and out of form all season.

As I said, take a look at the table, the games left, the amount of games Chelsea have to play, Arsenal having to play 3 relegation battling sides. The blatant fact Benitez wants a trophy this season and you'll see that you yourself aren't far off la la land.

It is possible, stop being so bloody negative and constant looking at last season.
    yeah clubs go in and out out of form all season but the big clubs don't do it at the end of the season. we also have to play relegation battling sides and in Chelsea a side who want a top 4 finish. so stop being overly optimistic and get your head out of the clouds. And you have to look at last season and the season before that to see our run in form which is shocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Emoran wrote: »
    Michael Dawson... Anyone ever slags him off or complains about him will have me to deal with

Captains performance tonight

Deserves to start week in week out with what he does for us

Yet he managed to get verts sent off with the control of a donkey

spurs outta Europe football coverage over beer finished good night all talk to you for the city match!

yeah clubs go in and out out of form all season but the big clubs don't do it at the end of the season. we also have to play relegation battling sides and in Chelsea a side who want a top 4 finish. so stop being overly optimistic and get your head out of the clouds. And you have to look at last season and the season before that to see our run in form which is shocking

From the sounds of it, it seems you only follow Spurs because they provide you with good ammunition to have a right good moan

Basically all you said was that we have as much a chance as any of the teams competing for top 4. You're right, we do.

Take a look at how much this club has changed in 10 months. Being in the quarter final of second tier European football and being still in the shout for CL football is a great achievement. Emphasis on the still in a shout for CL football ofcourse, because we are.

If we don't finish in the top 4 and you come back on here saying 'I told you so' then really and truly you are in la la land.... How anyone could want their club to do bad to prove a point ill never know..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

I really think our only chance of fourth now is if Chelsea implode. Europa plus F.A. cup as well as the league gives them a lot more football than us. Gooners are gonna pip us so lets hope we pip Chelsea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

I'm in the optimistic camp. We have a good chance getn top 4. Dempsey scored twice, Ade had a decent game and is showing more interest than he was a month ago. Holtby, Dempsey, Dawson and the boys out on their feet at the end. Good to see Carroll getn some time on the pitch and played well. I suspect Dembelle not 100% tonight, hope he's not injured. If we get Lennon, Bale and Defoe back for last 5 or 6 games no reason why we cant get top 4. Chelsea have games every 3 or 4 days till season end and that does catch up for energy levels and injuries. Come on the Spurs.

Advertisement