Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Basel V Spurs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Season destined to end in disappointment as far as I see it, it could happen no other way being a Spurs fan. They always give you hope then cut you down the next minute. We will most probably finish 5th and have to listen to a summer of transfer speculation around our top player,but I tell you one thing would not change them for the world. Tottenham till I die.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

I'd honestly love to know how he feels now. . . 12628A63-30CF-4178-9855-7A822B77AB1A-2005-000002D56C43FCDE_zps31e520ca.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

KingdomYid wrote: »
    Season destined to end in disappointment as far as I see it, it could happen no other way being a Spurs fan. They always give you hope then cut you down the next minute. We will most probably finish 5th and have to listen to a summer of transfer speculation around our top player,but I tell you one thing would not change them for the world. Tottenham till I die.

There's no hope we'd sell him. His cheeky grin is just too important to the club! Adebayor will remain a Spurs player rest of his career...

All jokes aside, I love how opinions of Adebayor swiftly changed after the Everton game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Very pessimistic Kingdomyid. Dig deep and pull out a little belief. We are gona finish in the top four. I am not just saying this because its what we all want. Have a look at the fixtures and you will see Chelsea have a savage fixture list including three more games in Europa league if they get to final. Two if they dont.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

This is true as final of Europa league is on 5 days before last game of the season. Lets hope we're in the shout for 3rd or 4th by then aswell!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Just finished watching 105mins of action, 2-2 at half time in extra time only for the didgibox to stop recording.. Melter!

We lost on penalties, that's 50/50 stuff lads, we battled hard, great team effort to see HT out with ten men.

Can't fault the players, can't fault the manager, Dembele looks absolutely spent and this break can't come quick enough for him, big error for their first.

‘It is better to fail aiming high than to succeed aiming low. And we of Spurs have set our sights very high, so high in fact that even failure will have in it an echo of glory.’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Lets not dwell on Adebayors penalty, the smirk on his face came a good few seconds after he had missed and it was obviously a nervous reaction. Don't read into it, whatever The Sun newspaper tells you tomorrow;)

PS. Their keeper (no.1 keeper) is pretty decent, Hugo should have played, that's my only fault on the manager but I guess he was trying to be loyal.. Shame..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Emoran wrote: »
    I'd honestly love to know how he feels now. . . 12628A63-30CF-4178-9855-7A822B77AB1A-2005-000002D56C43FCDE_zps31e520ca.jpg

My guess is not a fcuk does he give.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I don't see the issue with the smirk/smile. It wasn't a 'Yes, i missed' smirk. I sometimes smirk if i do something stupid, and he knows he screwed up.

Disappointed to be out, but i suppose it gives us a better chance of staying in the top 4 now. Didn't get to see the game, but sounds like we struggled at times and made some bad mistakes. Good to see Dempsey get 2 goals, and nice to hear Siggy was supposed to be decent. I'm guessing Jan's red card was deserved (last man and all that)?

Also, I'm happy enough with AVB picking Brad, even with it being an important match. He's still a great keeper, and it gives the fringe players some confidence that if they play well, or get to a certain point in a competition, they won't be immediately dropped for the 1st team.

Hopefully, that was our last ever Europa League game, as we'll be kicking ass in the Champions League from now on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Holtby played really well and looks to be fit, never stopped running top marks.
    Carroll had a great game, wanna see a lot more of him.

Until the sending off I could only see one winner us, Ade could of squared it to Sigurdsson to nick it. They got a second wind with Jan going off. Bit nervy at the end but still limited them to long range shots. Dembele looked knackered, badly needs a rest.

Really don't know what all the doom and gloom is for? I thought we acquitted ourselves really well, our defence is never going to be rock solid. Six games to go and I'll enjoy them all. All to play for...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Sugarlumps wrote: »

Until the sending off I could only see one winner us, Ade could of squared it to Sigurdsson to nick it. They got a second wind with Jan going off. Bit nervy at the end but still limited them to long range shots. Dembele looked knackered, badly needs a rest.

Really don't know what all the doom and gloom is for? I thought we acquitted ourselves really well, our defence is never going to be rock solid. Six games to go and I'll enjoy them all. All to play for...

WOuldnt agree with holtby playing well. He was ok, he reminds me of parker. running all over and getting nothing done.

I think your being overly critical on Holtby, he's only new to the team. He's no world beater but what would you expect for the fee? Not exactly sure what his best position will be? Certainly not out on the wing. He can do Parkers job and pick a pass. I'll reserve judgement until he's had a full season under his belt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Emoran wrote: »
    Michael Dawson... Anyone ever slags him off or complains about him will have me to deal with

Captains performance tonight

Deserves to start week in week out with what he does for us

He did well and led well but he dives in way too much still. He is constantly over committing to a tackle or an interception which makes him look like a schoolboy when it doesn't come off.

Our problems last night were a lack of pace in our game, At one stage in the 2nd half Dawson took the ball into their half laid it off and stayed running. They were panicking big time but we stopped and went backwards yet again. We are missing Vdv type player more than anything for a game like last night. Without the speed of Lennon/Bale we need a lock picker.

Friedel was terrible for their 2nd goal, absolutely shocking. He should have been out on top of Strella when he came into the box but he hesitated and we conceded a corner. {which should have been a goal kick btw]. His parry was very poor then form the flick header, you can see him look up at Daws just as the net bulges as if to say- My fault. He never even remotely looked like saving a penalty. It reminded me of Shilton vs Germany in 1990.

I thought we played much better last night than in previous weeks however and we should take something from that into the finish.

I've always believed we'd have to win at the Bridge to get top 4 and nothing has changed in that respect. I'm more worried about our home games vs Stoke and Southampton where I just cannot see us getting 6 points at this moment in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I agree with this tbh. I feel this was the best way for us to go out of the competition, matching their result in WHL, scoring 2 away from home, battling with 10 men to make it to penalties where it's a lottery and anything could happen. Although I didn't care too much about the game beforehand I really wanted us to win during it and was disappointed we didn't, however I think most of the lads can be happy/proud of the effort they put in and hopefully that will help in the last few matches of the season.

I think your being overly critical on Holtby, he's only new to the team. He's no world beater but what would you expect for the fee? Not exactly sure what his best position will be? Certainly not out on the wing. He can do Parkers job and pick a pass. I'll reserve judgement until he's had a full season under his belt.

fair enough but the way some people were on about him when he joined, you would think he was a world beater.

I think if lloris played last night then we would have won - thought friedal was awful

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭larry1

Adebayor's run up to Peno :rolleyes:

http://footballfunnys.lockerdome.com/articles/107201577

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

mickman wrote: »
    fair enough but the way some people were on about him when he joined, you would think he was a world beater.

I think if lloris played last night then we would have won - thought friedal was awful

I think we as fans get excited about any new player joining which is kind of understandable. I knew nothing about him other than that he was loaned out a lot, I think he'll do okay! Good spirit and all that jazz.

I'd imagine that was Brad's last game in a Tottenham jersey? I really like the guy, thought he was an excellent buy. Age catches up with everyone.

I think we as fans get excited about any new player joining which is kind of understandable. I knew nothing about him other than that he was loaned out a lot, I think he'll do okay! Good spirit and all that jazz.

I'd imagine that was Brad's last game in a Tottenham jersey? I really like the guy, thought he was an excellent buy. Age catches up with everyone.

yep and i would like brad to stay around spurs in a coaching role cos i love him as well. last night though , he looked as stiff as a board

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Amazed that people have anything other than love for Dawson, of course he has his faults but how many defenders don't?

Hero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

Ormus wrote: »
    Amazed that people have anything other than love for Dawson, of course he has his faults but how many defenders don't?

Hero.

Dawson was the main reason we weren't dead and long before extra time.

He is our main defender as far as im concerned and should remain club captain.

His benefits far outweigh any weaknesses he has.

Dawson is one of those defenders whose motto is do or die, he’d take a bullet for the team. Remember that there hasn’t been a solid partnership all season between cb’s. I’d like to see a proper pairing for next season whomever it will be?

Himself and King were formidable together. We still haven’t lost a game when he’s started this season, last night doesn’t count. He more than makes up for his mistakes in my eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Dawson is one of those defenders whose motto is do or die, he’d take a bullet for the team. Remember that there hasn’t been a solid partnership all season between cb’s. I’d like to see a proper pairing for next season whomever it will be?

Himself and King were formidable together. We still haven’t lost a game when he’s started this season, last night doesn’t count. He more than makes up for his mistakes in my eyes.

We lost 2 in a row recently that he started, Liverpool and Fulham !:confused:

golfball37 wrote: »
    We lost 2 in a row recently that he started, Liverpool and Fulham !:confused:

That's that shot down. Whatever man!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Dawson will be a squad player next season if not sold....it will be Verts and Kaboul at the back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Dawson will be a squad player next season if not sold....it will be Verts and Kaboul at the back.

Hate to say it but I agree, with Caulker in the mix too.

Probably right, Caulker has a long way to go though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

You never know what next season will bring. I think we done very well in transfers in this season except for lack of decent striker. Lloris, Vertongnen, Dembele and Siggy. If we could bring in three more of this quality for next season, whilst holding onto all our best players we could be challenging for the Premier League for the first time in colour.

Wohoo, come on the Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Same thing was said this season and he is now our captain and one of our players of the year.

It's bound to come true eventually though!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

Ormus wrote: »
    Same thing was said this season and he is now our captain and one of our players of the year.

It's bound to come true eventually though!

If Kaboul hadn't got injured Dawson wouldn't have got a sniff of the first team this season

Advertisement