Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fishing shop Athlone

Options
  • 09-04-2013 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hey lads,

Heading up to Athlone on Sat for a spot of coarse fishing. However, I cannot seem to find a fishing shop!!! Scully is closed down and I cannot get through to Strand fishing.

Is there no shops at all???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭demanufactured

Strand is long gone.
    Shannonside tackle is around the corner from where the strand was...in loyds lane..
    Its a cobbler / tackle shop.
    Anthony Quinn is the owner there he's a sound fella.
    What are you after?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

I am after maggots and groundbait really. Would also like some advise on where to go as I have not fished Athlone before. Now that I think of it, I also need a mixing bag. Am I asking for too much?

I am after maggots and groundbait really. Would also like some advise on where to go as I have not fished Athlone before. Now that I think of it, I also need a mixing bag. Am I asking for too much?

You should have no bother with ground bait...don't if hell have maggots yet.
    I'll find out for you tomorrow if you like.
    As to where to fish...what are you fishing for. .roach??

You should have no bother with ground bait...don't if hell have maggots yet.
    I'll find out for you tomorrow if you like.
    As to where to fish...what are you fishing for. .roach??

I am fishing for anything at all!i have all day to spare but no experience of where to go.Would love a bream but some roach would be great either.If you could find out about maggots i would appreciate it.I was just goimg to try down by Burgess park?

Try the other side of the river.
    Where the old canal meets the river
    There is a few fishing stands you can use.
    You won't get bream yet...too cold and you need to fish into dark for them anyway.
    Burgess park is full of rubbish ATM.

• Advertisement

Try the other side of the river.
    Where the old canal meets the river
    There is a few fishing stands you can use.
    You won't get bream yet...too cold and you need to fish into dark for them anyway.
    Burgess park is full of rubbish ATM.

okay thanks for that.how do i get access to the other side?can i drive to where the stands are?do you reckon there might be some roach?i am planning on just using a feeder with either maggots or a bit of sweetcorn.

okay thanks for that.how do i get access to the other side?can i drive to where the stands are?do you reckon there might be some roach?i am planning on just using a feeder with either maggots or a bit of sweetcorn.
    If you head across the town bridge the easiest way is to take the first exit off the roundabout...it will bring you around by the castle....
    Follow this road around to the right and keep going..you will enter Connaught street. ..follow this till you come to walshes pub on the left..
    Take the left turn down beside the pub and keep going straight down.
    You will come to a crossroads and the road ahead of you leads right dowwn to the river.

If you head across the town bridge the easiest way is to take the first exit off the roundabout...it will bring you around by the castle....
    Follow this road around to the right and keep going..you will enter Connaught street. ..follow this till you come to walshes pub on the left..
    Take the left turn down beside the pub and keep going straight down.
    You will come to a crossroads and the road ahead of you leads right dowwn to the river.

Great directions! I found the area on Googlemaps no bother at all. I assume that I can cross a bridge and heading down the Meadows back toward the town in order to fish? Would that be my best bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭bayliner

Great directions! I found the area on Googlemaps no bother at all. I assume that I can cross a bridge and heading down the Meadows back toward the town in order to fish? Would that be my best bet?
    yeah you can fish all the way back to the town from the platforms, my son fishes it now and then and had some 100plus catches but all very small (in summer ).... the bream came back a bit last yr i heard.... you wont get past those platforms (to get further downriver)unless you drive further out the clonown rd and walk across the fields, best of luck anyway and let us know how it goes, i know the young fella would love to know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

The boys out in Wildhunter might be able to sort you out too. They're out near the golden island shopping centre.

• Advertisement
Advertisement