Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pine nuts - European or American

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭

I got a nasty dose of pine mouth a few years ago and reading up on it then checking the packaging, the culprits were Chinese pine nuts.

I've been avoiding them ever since but I really like them in salads and pasta. After more research, the European, American or Mexican grown pine nuts seem to be a different variety and don't cause as many problems. Sourcing them seems impossible though unless I order from the UK. Does anyone know of an Irish retailer?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30 breen_og

Maybe not what you were looking for in the short term but this link might be of interest.

http://woodkerne.net/2007/09/18/the-fruit-and-nut-case/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

I'm not sure a pine tree would fit in our garden but thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭jendafer1

Hi Dubl07, I got rotten pine mouth a few years ago as well. Now when I order in restaurants I just ask where their pine nuts are from, if they say europe then I go for it. I havent had pine mouth since, but I am always a little wary. From what I can tell, it only seems to be the Asian pine nuts that cause it.
    I also always get strange looks from the waitors when I ask them where they get their pine nuts from, nobody seems to have heard of pine mouth!!

Advertisement