Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawnmower Repairs

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

Hi Guys
    Does anyone know where I could get my mower sharpened? That small place at the back of the Meridian centre never seems to be open when I'm around.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,119 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Isn't there a guy on Church Lane that does that sort of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Thanks, forgot about that place. It used to be an Airsoft shop!

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Gordy6040

Alun wrote: »
    Isn't there a guy on Church Lane that does that sort of thing?

Is there? never had much cause to go down there so i never noticed. I'll check it out though.

Gordy6040 wrote: »
    Is there? never had much cause to go down there so i never noticed. I'll check it out though.
    There's usually a small sign stuck on the corner of Church Lane and whatever the road is called that goes past Tesco that advertises chainsaw and (I'm fairly certain) lawnmower repairs and servicing too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Greystones Hire is open half day Saturday if you are around.
    Church Lane is also there - called Rite Start.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭ActingDanClark

012557532 - ray salmon, rite start

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Buy a cheap Dremel type tool and you can sharpen it in seconds with a grinding bit (included usually), been doing my own for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Buy a cheap Dremel type tool and you can sharpen it in seconds with a grinding bit (included usually), been doing my own for years.
    Is it a cylinder mower or a rotary mower blade you sharpen yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Be careful if you are going to sharpen them yourself.

Cylinder - you will need a steady hand and be careful it doesn't spin catching your finger / hand along the straight cutting blade. Angle is important here but a hand file will do it over time. Equally important to sharpen the cutting blade but getting the gap consistent between this and the cylinder is tricky and can take a while.

Rotary - yes a dremel will do it. Just be careful and take your time.
    In both cases if petrol - ensure you first remove the spark plug cap - stranger things have happened. On some of the older models if you turned the machine the wrong way you would end up with oil in the air filter - a costly mistake.

All in all much easier to drop it off at one of the above places - the guys that run both have been doing this for a while and are in my opinion two sound guys. Just call each - numbers are in the phone book and check on opening / costs. Depending on where you are they can also collect/drop off - especially if like me your car can't take the mower in the boot.

• Advertisement

There are special grinding machines available for accurately regrinding both the cylinder and fixed blades, I've no idea if any of the people mentioned above have such a thing though. Plenty of examples on Youtube if you want to see one in action.

You might be able to get away with carefully touching up the cylinder blade with a file or hand held grinding stone, but I wouldn't go anywhere near it with a dremel tool personally. The chances of exerting too much pressure on one area thus creating dips and losing that important, really tight tolerance between cylinder and fixed blade would be too high.

For a rotary, just use a file.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,178 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

Should have clarified, been dremeling my rotary mower, not cylinder.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

Should have clarified, been dremeling my rotary mower, not cylinder.
    aah thanks, cylinder mower blades are so much more difficult to sharpen/align

Advertisement