Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young pup with cyst on back

• 09-04-2013 3:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

Anyone have experience of a young pup with a cyst? Did it develop into anything serious? Did you have to get it removed and did it come back?

I have a lovely 4 month old pup. He has developed a cyst on his back - 1cm in diameter. (Thin layer of skin and red-raw underneath.)

Went to the vets last week and the pup was put on a course of anti-inflammatories. I went back today as the cyst hasn't gone down at all.

The vet gave him 2 steroid injections. Booked an appointment for Thursday for the cyst to be removed if it hasn't gone down further. Plan on getting it tested.

Vet reckons he is too young for anything to be serious.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My friend's older dog had one and got it removed and it was fine. She had it a few months though before they got it removed - she ended up needing some xrays done so they took out the cyst while she was under for them. Are you planning on having the pup neutered in the next few months - could you hold off until then to reduce the risk of 2 general anesthetics and have the vet do a needle biopsy in the meantime to see what it is?... I don't know if i'd be able to wait myself though if it was my guy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Kinzig

I had one removed once from a 6 year old springer dog, it was an overnight stay with the vet and she told me not to worry getting it tested as they are normally benign..it was removed, never returned and the dog went on to live till he was 16 years old..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

If its just like a sebaceous cyst then it's nothing to worry about, basically like a human pimple, but every once in a while it may start to leak a casceous material which, while harmless, absolutely stinks! They aren't something I would say a dog would have a specifically go get removed but if he's being neutered at 6 months old then it should be a problem to get it removed :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

tk123 wrote: »
    Are you planning on having the pup neutered in the next few months - could you hold off until then to reduce the risk of 2 general anesthetics and have the vet do a needle biopsy in the meantime to see what it is?... I don't know if i'd be able to wait myself though if it was my guy!

I'd be like that too - get it removed & tested.

Although he is only 4 months old, he is big & strong so hopefully there'll be no problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

If its just like a sebaceous cyst then it's nothing to worry about, basically like a human pimple, but every once in a while it may start to leak a casceous material which, while harmless, absolutely stinks! They aren't something I would say a dog would have a specifically go get removed but if he's being neutered at 6 months old then it should be a problem to get it removed :)

This cyst (if that is the right name) is a big, hard, lump of a thing at 1cm or so. The size hasn't decreased in 2 weeks. No way this one can be squeezed.

Last week there was a crust on it. This week I am putting a gel on it so it has a light coating. When peeled back it's red, raw and infected.

Orginally I thought he got a nick from one of the other dogs while playing.

Just sticks out on his back, in between his thick hair.

Nasty looking yoke. Just hope there is no problem - looks like we'll be removing - and the tests are OK.

• Advertisement
Advertisement