Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ferrules

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭

are ferrules on 10sq panel flex regulation? simple yes or no if anybody knows .thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭Ilik Urgee

They are in Germany, don't know about there in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Calgary22

say might be in the regs:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭mikehammer67

is that the relevant rule?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭kelledy

is that the relevant rule?

seems to mean the use of lugs ferrules or just any secure screw terminal that rule...

seems to say you need ferrules
    if i picked out the correct rule

• Advertisement

seems to say you need ferrules
    if i picked out the correct rule

"the use of ferrules or terminals" this to me means screw terminal is enough no????

nope ferrules mate to be on the safe side i will be using them anyway for the sake of a few mins ya dont want a fail.

Calgary22 wrote: »
    nope ferrules mate to be on the safe side i will be using them anyway for the sake of a few mins ya dont want a fail.

i did... but i think ive left out one r two so thats why im thinkn .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Whether it is a regulation or not ferrules must be installed on panel flex. This applies in particular to larger flexes such as 10 mm sq. as they are likley to be carrying a large current. If ferrules are not used the terminal screws often cut through the fine strands. In addition the terminals often loosen when they are not used.

cheers 2011 is it wrong to use ferrules for everything you wire such as motor panels etc? :o:o

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,593 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

cheers 2011 is it wrong to use ferrules for everything you wire such as motor panels etc? :o:o

It is very normal to see ferrules on control panles from 0.75mm cables and above. The important thing is to ensure that the correct ferrule is selected. In other words, do not put a 2.5mm on a 1.5mm cable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Cogsy88

kelledy wrote: »
    are ferrules on 10sq panel flex regulation? simple yes or no if anybody knows .thanks

If your panel flex doesn't come loose he won't fail ya he doesent really care about ferules. Once it's fully operational, safe nd your test results are ok he will pass ya.

Cogsy88 wrote: »
    If your panel flex doesn't come loose he won't fail ya he doesent really care about ferules. Once it's fully operational, safe nd your test results are ok he will pass ya.

Cathal.

did u do it yourself ???

cogys88 could be refering to any exam be it 2 4 or 6:D

Ferrules or CDM.

Cathal.

I'd be surprised if you would pass on a DB without ferrules

I'd be surprised if you would pass on a DB without ferrules

They only check for loose terminations I think. ;)

are you on about the cdm cogsy? if so that great:D

are you on about the cdm cogsy? if so that great:D
    Yea CDM. But reg 526.8.1 states otherwise and all regs are supposed to be followed. But I really doubt he will fail ppl over dat. Did you jus do the CDM.

Yea CDM. But reg 526.8.1 states otherwise and all regs are supposed to be followed. But I really doubt he will fail ppl over dat. Did you jus do the CDM.

yea i just finished today. did you do it and pass?? i just left one r 2 ferrules out. is it just me who is reading on that reg "ferrules or appropriate terminals" . dis to me is the screw connection. just wana be sure.... i didnt purposly go leaving them out.... just slipped my mind

• Advertisement

yea i just finished today. did you do it and pass?? i just left one r 2 ferrules out. is it just me who is reading on that reg "ferrules or appropriate terminals" . dis to me is the screw connection. just wana be sure.... i didnt purposly go leaving them out.... just slipped my mind

Sure I was the one across frm ya.

hahah how epic:D:D haha

my testing was fine.. my circuts all operated and my earthing was all complete... just tryna eliminate reasons to fail in my head while im waiting for result... and connection is all i can think off even tho i went over this a few times...

my testing was fine.. my circuts all operated and my earthing was all complete... just tryna eliminate reasons to fail in my head while im waiting for result... and connection is all i can think off even tho i went over this a few times...

haha. . whats d marking scheme. how hard was he yanking wen he was checkn terminals

haha. . whats d marking scheme. how hard was he yanking wen he was checkn terminals

Sent you a PM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

2011 wrote: »
    Whether it is a regulation or not ferrules must be installed on panel flex. This applies in particular to larger flexes such as 10 mm sq. as they are likley to be carrying a large current. If ferrules are not used the terminal screws often cut through the fine strands. In addition the terminals often loosen when they are not used.

Also, many of the strands simply won't be well connected. MCB terminals won't have the problem of screws going through strands, but ferules are still a must.

Operating simply based on what the rules say, rather than what electrical common sense says, in conjunction with regulations, is not great IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Well I wouldn't be putting them on anything except flexes. No point putting them on a 4 square SWA cable's terminations for example. Only on flexible cables with multiple fine strands.

Bruthal wrote: »
    Only on flexible cables with multiple fine strands.
    Agreed.

ya I didn't read it correctly
    suitable ferrules or terminals
    maybe someone can clarify

assuming thats the relevant rule

• Advertisement
Advertisement