Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing ANZ Account

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi I came back from a year in Australia and was hoping to close my account but as there was a few dollars in it ANZ said it could not be closed (supposedly there has to be a zero balance before they can close it :confused: )
    So then I didn't bother doing anything with it and I've racked up about $20 so far in account fees. Will they just close the account after a certain amount of time or will the fees keep mounting up until they come to Ireland and find me? I don't intend to pay these fees as I've made it clear to them that I will not be returning. They don't have any Irish address for me, just Aussie and nobody I know lives at the address any longer. I just don't want the Aussies coming for me with a huge bill when it all goes boom!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭6541

I had the same issue, I called them from Eire and they sent me a cheque with my outstanding cash and closed the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 kfc1210

I wouldnt worry about it at all im sure they come across bad debts all the time, maybe call them or send them registered letter.

Sure even if you owed 1000-2000 on a credit card and went home it wouldnt be worth there while coming after you once at home!

Assuming you dont come back maybe they could get you then but iv no idea if the banks would talk to immigration or customs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

If the account is in arrears due to bank fees they will close it automatically after a certain period of time (each institution is different) so you can technically just leave it there and do nothing.

They won't be coming to Ireland to find you, no! :pac:

Advertisement