Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rahoon (or west side)

Options
  • 09-04-2013 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭

Hope it's ok to drag up this thread. I'm currently living in Gort na Coiribe which was an experience (mature student) but my partner is starting work in Boston Scientific next week and we haven't managed to find anywhere to live yet. We also have a dog which has really impacted on the number of places available to us.

Anyway I'm going viewing a few more places this week, one in Tulach Ard on Circular Road and another in Ballinfoile Park. What are these areas like? Bear in mind we come from Limerick and we really want to get away from the scumbag element :o

Living on the west side is preferable, himself will be cycling to work so traffic shouldn't be an issue really but I will be depending on public transport or short cycling distances (I'm really unfit!) to get to college.

Mods, feel free to move if needs be, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Cocolola wrote: »
    Hope it's ok to drag up this thread. I'm currently living in Gort na Coiribe which was an experience (mature student) but my partner is starting work in Boston Scientific next week and we haven't managed to find anywhere to live yet. We also have a dog which has really impacted on the number of places available to us.

Anyway I'm going viewing a few more places this week, one in Tulach Ard on Circular Road and another in Ballinfoile Park. What are these areas like? Bear in mind we come from Limerick and we really want to get away from the scumbag element :o

Living on the west side is preferable, himself will be cycling to work so traffic shouldn't be an issue really but I will be depending on public transport or short cycling distances (I'm really unfit!) to get to college.

Mods, feel free to move if needs be, thanks.

There are loads of grand areas in Rahoon. I assume you want to be nearer the main roads/buses? If that's the case the 'back end' of Rahoon where it goes into the country a bit isn't ideal. Some estates/bits I'd look at are:
    Highfield Park (can also be called Shantalla/Taylors Hill as an area, but listed as Rahoon sometimes as it's close to one edge), Glen Dara (mixed, can be lovely or noisy) Claremont Park (same), Rockfield Park (grand estate), Gort Greinne (grand, families). Or indeed the other side of the old Rahoon Road/Friars Hill has some really nice estates. I've a lot of friends in that area and all seem to like it.
    Scumbag wise, you'll still get them, as with anywhere, so I'd take a drive/walk around and get a feel for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from an old thread so you can get fresh info on various areas, not just Rahoon.
    All along Shantalla road is nice and also close to town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Ballinfoyle Park (it's on the East side btw) usen't to have the best of reputations. Now I am sure there are some lovely families in there & maybe it has changed for the better in recent times, I don't know.

Rahoon-wise..some other posters above have given you good advice on which estates are good.

You could try Tir Ellen Park which is beside Ballinfoyle Park. It's grand, a LOT of rented places there and rent would be cheap enough but I'd think it'd be a better estate than Ballinfoyle.

If you wanted to venture out a bit further from Rahoon there are some nice places in Knocknacarra, Salthill areas. Few mins extra on the bike but might be worth it from a point of view of having a lovely place to live in (not saying some of the Rahoon estates mentioned aren't nice by the way!).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 TheConway2

Whatever about the other areas in Westside, if your looking to avoid students and/or scumbags, it might be wise to avoid Glen Dara, theres a lot of both there :P But generally speaking, a quick walk around an estate will let you know what kinda people live there pretty quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Oh, a brand new user pooing all over an estate. This will be interesting.
    OP, this old thread has more info on Rahoon. Another here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 TheConway2

biko wrote: »
    Oh, a brand new user pooing all over an estate. This will be interesting.
    OP, this old thread has more info on Rahoon. Another here.

Not a brand new user, long time lurker who had a few other accounts but forgot the passwords to them as I have not used them much.:P

As for pooing over the estate, its a great spot if your a student, but If your looking for a nice quiet place free from students then look else where! I have friends who lived there and I am going by their opinion of the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Cocolola

Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

We ran out of time and took a place way out the far end of Knocknacarra for 6 months but this information will definitely be helpful when we're looking again in a few months.

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,159 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Ballinfoyle Park (it's on the East side btw) usen't to have the best of reputations. Now I am sure there are some lovely families in there & maybe it has changed for the better in recent times, I don't know.

Rahoon-wise..some other posters above have given you good advice on which estates are good.

You could try Tir Ellen Park which is beside Ballinfoyle Park. It's grand, a LOT of rented places there and rent would be cheap enough but I'd think it'd be a better estate than Ballinfoyle.

If you wanted to venture out a bit further from Rahoon there are some nice places in Knocknacarra, Salthill areas. Few mins extra on the bike but might be worth it from a point of view of having a lovely place to live in (not saying some of the Rahoon estates mentioned aren't nice by the way!).
    Tirellan Heights unless you have just built a new estate ;).

Advertisement