Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NGB / Faster Broadband Speeds

Options
  • 09-04-2013 4:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

Eircom customer out in Carlanstown, outside Kells County Meath, we are currently on the 7MB broadband plan, with an average speed of about 4/5MB depending on time of day (never been anywhere  near 7MB) 

I remember asking this literally about 2 years ago, "when will we see NGB or Faster Broadband Speeds, closer to what they receive in the greater Dublin area, 20MB and more!?.. "

I called up about upgrading the speed last year, i think it was something like i tried to get 24MB but the max the line could take was 10MB (Never reached that, still averaged 5/6MB)

So, i had to cancel the upgrade, as it made no difference what so ever.

We are in a relatively new estate (less than 10 years old) so im sure the copper lines in to our house would be capable of more?

we have been promised faster and better speeds for a VERY long time now, and im getting a bit impatient, it's 2013, and there is a MASSIVE depend on higher speeds and reliability nowadays than there ever was before.

It would be great to get some overview of plans to upgrade our exchange, and get use to where the rest of Ireland should be.

Robert

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Guys,

Eircom customer out in Carlanstown, outside Kells County Meath, we are currently on the 7MB broadband plan, with an average speed of about 4/5MB depending on time of day (never been anywhere  near 7MB) 

I remember asking this literally about 2 years ago, "when will we see NGB or Faster Broadband Speeds, closer to what they receive in the greater Dublin area, 20MB and more!?.. "

I called up about upgrading the speed last year, i think it was something like i tried to get 24MB but the max the line could take was 10MB (Never reached that, still averaged 5/6MB)

So, i had to cancel the upgrade, as it made no difference what so ever.

We are in a relatively new estate (less than 10 years old) so im sure the copper lines in to our house would be capable of more?

we have been promised faster and better speeds for a VERY long time now, and im getting a bit impatient, it's 2013, and there is a MASSIVE depend on higher speeds and reliability nowadays than there ever was before.

It would be great to get some overview of plans to upgrade our exchange, and get use to where the rest of Ireland should be.

Robert

[font=Times New Roman","serif]Hi RobertHopkins

I've just looked into this and I can confirm that the Carlanstown exchange has been upgraded to NGB and Can holeup to 24mb speeds however as is the case throughout the country with such exchanges the distance of your line from the exchange is a factor which affects the speeds your line can actually hold. I am not able to inform you of your distance to the exchange however I can run some tests to see what speeds your line can possibly hold  if you wouldlike to DM me your landline number?

Also, I'm sorry to confirm that there are no plans to introduce fibre broadband to Carlanstown.

Regards

Al
    [/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭oB1

Hi RobertHopkins

I've just looked into this and I can confirm that the Carlanstown exchange has been upgraded to NGB and Can holeup to 24mb speeds however as is the case throughout the country with such exchanges the distance of your line from the exchange is a factor which affects the speeds your line can actually hold. I am not able to inform you of your distance to the exchange however I can run some tests to see what speeds your line can possibly hold  if you wouldlike to DM me your landline number?

Also, I'm sorry to confirm that there are no plans to introduce fibre broadband to Carlanstown.

Regards

Al
    Hi Al,

Thanks for the swift reply :) 

Im 99.9% sure, that we are only a couple meters from the exchange, infact, i can see it out my window, its a green container, with eircom stickers on it, and has a massive mast on the outside, i have seen Eircom vans outside it on a regular basis.

I will send you on that DM now with my landline :)

Robert

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi Al,

Thanks for the swift reply  

Im 99.9% sure, that we are only a couple meters from the exchange, infact, i can see it out my window, its a green container, with eircom stickers on it, and has a massive mast on the outside, i have seen Eircom vans outside it on a regular basis.

I will send you on that DM now with my landline

Robert
    Hi RobertHopkins

Sorry I couldn't help on this.

Kind regards

Al

Advertisement