Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flight Sim X Graphics

• 09-04-2013 4:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭

I have the Flight Sim X Gold edition and below are the ' required specs. But as you may know you can turn up the graphics, traffic, realism etc.

So what would I need to upgrade to enable me to have a fast, good looking smooth game??

I see on some YouTube videos that the graphics are almost like looking at the real thing? Is this a modded version or a super gaming computer?

Specs Flight Sim :

Required Processor

2 GHz equivalent or faster processor
    Required Operating System
    Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, or XP SP2
    Required Memory
    1 GB
    Required Hard Disk Space
    32 GB for installation, 15 GB thereafter; Acceleration requires 12 GB for installation, 6 GB thereafter

Recommended Input Device
    Joystick or yoke
    Required Input Device
    Microsoft Mouse or compatible pointing device
    Required Platform
    PC
    Required Sound Card
    Sound card, speakers, or headphones required for audio
    Required Video Card
    DirectX 9 or higher compatible video card; 128 MB video RAM or higher, Shader Model 1.1 or higher

I have : Along with a ASUS EAH 6670 graphics card

OS Name Microsoft® Windows Vista™ Ultimate
    Version 6.0.6002 Service Pack 2 Build 6002
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name USER-PC
    System Manufacturer To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Model To Be Filled By O.E.M.
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Pentium(R) Dual-Core CPU E5400 @ 2.70GHz, 2693 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 2 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. P1.80, 08/07/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.4
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale Ireland
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.0.6002.18005"
    User Name User-PC\mick25
    Time Zone GMT Daylight Time
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.19 GB
    Available Physical Memory 1.74 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 6.61 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.05 GB
    Page File Space 3.48 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

We'd need to know which addon you'd be using. Yes the detail is fantastic when you've bought PDMG 737NGX. With the bog-standard 737 any PC could run it, but it'd still be a bit crap.

It really depends what you want to use the game for. For reference, I have a slightly better spec than yours overclocked to 3,2Ghz and the best I'd get out of 737 NGX is 30 frames per second, whereas with the bog standard 737 I'd get 60 fps no problems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭KwackerJack

We'd need to know which addon you'd be using. Yes the detail is fantastic when you've bought PDMG 737NGX. With the bog-standard 737 any PC could run it, but it'd still be a bit crap.

It really depends what you want to use the game for. For reference, I have a slightly better spec than yours overclocked to 3,2Ghz and the best I'd get out of 737 NGX is 30 frames per second, whereas with the bog standard 737 I'd get 60 fps no problems.

Overclocking is like a black-art to me, I haven't a notion :confused:

I am currently training for my PPL and I am using a C172 for instrument familiarisation. I know its not real but I keeps me in-check when I am not in the air piloting a real C172

I just want the best performance and graphics from a training perspective

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

I've read that the processor is the main factor in fsx.
    specifically the core clock speed as with many titles from it's era it doesn't benefit from extra cores.

I certainly notices this when I overclocked (increased the core clock speed) on my q6600.

I never used many addons so it's possible they rely heavily on graphics.

Definitely have a look at overclocking.
    It mainly involves switching a few settings in the BIOS any using software to monitor temps.

All of this is well documented over in the computers and technology forum.

If you happen to have the right hardware you could see huge improvements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭BeardySi

I'd imagine your machine will struggle with high setting and/or complex addons.

FSX was developed for single core machines and the amount of cores you're running is of far less relevance than their power - a 3.5-4+GHz machine would be best for performance - especially if you're intending to use complicated commercial addon aircraft or sceneries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

If its just instrument training then the default C172 should be fine. Just takeoff from smaller airports. If you're looking for a more realistic experience, this should do the trick.

• Advertisement
Advertisement