Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming on a pc

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    If I want to get the ubisoft games and Ea games are there clients any good or should I only use them when I have to steam doesnt seem to have many drm restrictions some games even have cloud saving which is cool :)

Ubisoft games usually need a separate launcher, it'll be launched when you start the game in Steam. You'll need a separate username and password for there (a *very* good idea if they are different). EA games have been steadily moving over to Origin. Older stuff on Steam works fine without Origin but a lot of the newer stuff like Battlefield 3 and Mass Effect 3 only work on Origin, no Steam support at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

Is Ea the only publisher that doesn't use steam most of the games I can remember seem to be on steam which is cool I'd still probably get ea stuff on console

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,399 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Is Ea the only publisher that doesn't use steam most of the games I can remember seem to be on steam which is cool I'd still probably get ea stuff on console

EA uses Steam for plenty, just not all:

http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Electronic%20Arts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

Spear wrote: »
    EA uses Steam for plenty, just not all:

http://store.steampowered.com/publisher/Electronic%20Arts

You get weird stuff though, like The Sims 3 being PC/Mac from launch but PC only on Steam despite Steam having a Mac client. But Origin has it for both platforms. The thing is the game has been around for years but the Mac only got an Origin client back in February.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

Best thing about steam are the indie games.

Every now and then in a sale you find a little gem for a few quid that provides hours of entertainment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Is there any games ye'd recommend that are pc exclusive since I have most ps3/xbox360 titles also I've yet to buy mass effect if I get the trilogy set for pc do you need origin?

really it comes down to what your interested in.

What you'll tend to find is for most videogame genres there will usually be a pc exclusive that takes it a step further in some respects due to the higher capabilities. So for example first person shooters, you get games that are aggressively realistic like red orchestra and arma. The competitive like counter strike and quake live, then there's scale like planetside 2.

Then there are the genres which really just dont exist on consoles like the real time/turn based strategy games which really if there is even a little of an armchair general in you, then you'll bury yourself in the variety on offer. Just pick your favourite era in history and there will probably be a game set around it. Or you can have them all and play civilisation

Or you can go see what all the fuss is about with blizzard's appearance at the recent sony event by trying any of their line of games. Though I'd be more of a cynic on some of those titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Is there any games ye'd recommend that are pc exclusive since I have most ps3/xbox360 titles also I've yet to buy mass effect if I get the trilogy set for pc do you need origin?

Planetside2 and it's free to play. Although, I've nearly spent 70 euro's on it already.
    https://www.planetside2.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I never realized how underpowered the current gen consoles are but running bioshock infinate at 60fps on ultra is amazing

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Welcome to the proper way to play games :D:p

There are a whole ton of free games available on Steam which are well worth a look. I've played a fair bit of Planetside 2 and Tribes Ascent myself, but I'm a big FPS Fan.

This post by Skeries above is great, you won't need much more than that :) I've paid via Paypal to Steam, GoG and Green Man Gaming and I've never had any reason to worry about security.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As a new(ish) member to the PC Gaming Elite, having only got a decent rig a couple of months back, i can confirm it is the bees knees. Being flat broke after the purchase, i've still managed to buy 26 games and only played 5 of them, and none of which came out this year.

I've also bookmarked the link given by Shiminay above, and i'm sure that will cost me lots of monies. Just need a decent mouse now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement