Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info on getting a job in canada

Options
  • 09-04-2013 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

I am looking to relocate to Canada..
    I am a fully qualified time served Electrician with over 25 yrs experience and other qualifications. haven said that il turn my hand to just about anything and have previously driven Artic trucks amongst other things.

I was told today by a random person to just go on a 1 yr working visa and then just stay there..
    does anyone know if this can be done or whats the best/easiest way to get there(i dont mean by plane lol )..

Has anyone been down this road and if so what costs are involved..
    At this point any info welcomed... such as rents, wages, cost of living etc
    Is it all worth it in the long run?

cheers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,660 ✭✭✭COYVB

What age are you? If you're over 35 you're not eligible for the IEC visas, so you'll have to get an LMO or apply to straight up immigrate based on your education, experience and qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭rusheen

I am a fully qualified time served Electrician with over 25 yrs experience and other qualifications. haven said that il turn my hand to just about anything and have previously driven Artic trucks amongst other things.

I was told today by a random person to just go on a 1 yr working visa and then just stay there..
    does anyone know if this can be done or whats the best/easiest way to get there(i dont mean by plane lol )..

If your under 35 you can get the 1 year visa so with 25 years experience I think thats out .

Fully quailfied and experienced with a trade thats in demand you might be able to get a skilled visa . Contact a immigration agent in Ireland they should tell you the ins and outs of it .

If you can get a visa with your trade and truck driving experience you'll have a well paid job as soon as you arrive in Sask or the Alberta Oil industry .
    Cost of living is high , but so are wages in return .

Is it worth it ?
    Canada's economy is the envy of the world .
    Ireland is the most indebted country per capita on the earth .
    Obvious where the better future is

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lovemytea

i recommend going to one of the work abroad expos, you meet lots of companys there who take your CV etc and can bring you over on an LMO. It is good route if you don't meet the age requirements for the IEC.

My boyfriend is an electrician and they seemed eager for industrial/commercial electricians. Check out FSWBC and send them your CV, I remember they were a company at one of the expos. Think the next work abroad expo is in September.

http://www.workingabroad.net/exhibitions-and-events/

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Without a job offer, you are looking at the Federal Skilled Worker visa for Canada. It gives you and your family permanent residency and also you are not tied to any employer. It is a points based visa so you need to ensure that you are eligible before paying money to anyone. It takes about 12 months to process but the program is not open until next month.

Be aware that there are some companies that are promising you the sun,
    moon and stars to get you to pay them a down payment and that they will get you a job. Then that is the last you hear from them. IT IS ILLEGAL FOR A COMPANY TO CHARGE YOU FOR A JOB.

Declan Clune

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭vagabond2013

Hi everyone thank you for the brilliant advice and its much appreciated... Age wise im almost 43 (maybe to old for any visa?)..
    i went to one expo this year in croker it was crap... should of went to RDS one instead... FSWBC what does the initials stand for please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭lovemytea

Hi everyone thank you for the brilliant advice and its much appreciated... Age wise im almost 43 (maybe to old for any visa?)..
    i went to one expo this year in croker it was crap... should of went to RDS one instead... FSWBC what does the initials stand for please?

Yeah we went to the one in RDS and it was good, that's where we met few companys like Tarpon and FSWBC (Foreign Skilled Workers British Columbia). Few other companies too looking for electricians. I just remember the FSWBC just told him to email his CV (canada style), they have tips on their website.

43 is too old for the IEC, but not for something like an LMO (where company brings you over and sorts your visa as far as I know). My boyfriends cousin was brought over on an LMO and they sorted the visas for his wife and son.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,805 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

Mod Note:
    DeclanClune, post deleted.
    If you wish to advertise jobs please do so on adverts.ie, not here. This is a discussion forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭DeclanClune

Panthro wrote: »
    Mod Note:
    DeclanClune, post deleted.
    If you wish to advertise jobs please do so on adverts.ie, not here. This is a discussion forum.

Hi Panthro,

I cannot remember exactly what I posted but I did not intend to advertise jobs.

I arrange LMOs for employers in Canada to allow them to hire from overseas. So if I am arranging an LMO for a Canadian company looking for overseas people, I would make Irish people aware of these jobs.

However, I don't charge people for jobs or anything else.

Hope that clarifies things.
    Declan

Advertisement