Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heating fault caused large ESB bill

Options
  • 09-04-2013 4:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭

I got a couple of huge esb bills in December and March. It turns out they were caused by a broken circulation pump in the heating system. The problem has now been fixed. My question is should I ask the house owner for a refund of the amount over my typical usage? Seems a bit unfair that I got shafted due to a problem with the property.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Did you notify the LL of the problem after the 1st bill? If not, then you have zero chance of being entitled to any refund for the second one as you are obliged to inform the LL of any defects without delay.

TBH I'd say you'll have to take the hit, as any owner occupier would.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Unless he failed to act when notified, its on you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭percy212

I did inform the LL that the heating system was not working correctly as soon as I noticed. It was several weeks before it was eventually repaired. I did not realize until recently that this fault was the cause of my esb bills being so large. I also indicated the size of the bills to the LL and questioned if this was normal for the house as I had only moved in a couple of months before the first humongous bill. I was told the bills were normally small with no further information offered.

So, can I ask the LL to contribute to the two large bills caused by the faulty heating system.

Advertisement