Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD or DCU

Options
  • 09-04-2013 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Im not sure whether to put UCD or DCU first on ny CAO, I'm going to put down Commerce International in UCD or International Business in DCU, which are almost identical in terms of modules, so I'm wondering which college would be better in terms of enjoyment, social life, and making new friends, cause that's what it has come down to. I will join societies and sports clubs, so its not a matter of not getting involved, but which will I actually enjoy more? I'm also putting this on the DCU forum to get both sides

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭edgal

UCD's Quinn School of Business is far more recognized internationally and in Ireland than DCU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

DCU has actually quite a well regarded business school also. It's tough to say OP. Internationally UCD might have a better reputation, less so domestically, although still perhaps slightly better around Ireland, but in terms of the quality of degree, I'm sure there's not a whole lot in it.

I suppose other factors may come into it such as your interests. UCD has by far the best on-campus facilities in the country, if you're into sport there is a world class gym, olympic size swimming pool, top facilities for just about any sport you can think of, it has a brand new student centre with a cinema etc., a new bar opening (supposedly). I suppose quality of life as a student should be a major consideration. DCU has plenty of good facilities too, but where do you think you'd be happier? If you have good friends going to one over the other, or if one is a major commute, the other not. These things can help improve your experience. If the course themselves look pretty identical on paper, and if you're not overly concerned with the (arguable) credentials of UCD perhaps having a better reputation, if that matters (it would want to be a pretty close interview selection decision if an employer chose you over another candidate because you went to UCD and he went to DCU, which would never happen in reality), then look at what would suit you best and why, research the colleges and quality of life as much as the course maybe.

I'm pretty neutral on it, I quite like both colleges, although have not been to DCU, I like their campus etc. and as a mature student I was lucky enough to have a choice of universities, but didn't want Trinity because the degree was an extra year long (in which time I hope to complete a masters) and DCU was a fair old commute and I suppose UCD edged it just by having a good reputation and where I thought I'd be happiest, but for me, first and foremost, from the options of courses I wanted the UCD one more than the others (Economics in UCD over BESS in Trinity or Business in DCU)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Commerce International is a big course but class sizes are actually quite small, plenty of ~20 people tutorials etc. so making friends shouldn't be an issue. The business modules also tend to have a lot of groupwork which should help that too.

Advertisement