Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wanting to Teach English in Germany

• 09-04-2013 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭

I am a current MA History student with an Undergrad in English and History.

Ideally I want to do a PhD on German history, and because of the money involved I would like to move to Germany with my german missus in order to improve my own language skills while teaching English.

I know Germany has very high standards, and wondering does anyone have any suggestions with first steps?

Really appreciate any help on this one...I'm desperate to get my life sorted out.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭derb12

Do you have a TEFL qualification? If not, that'd be a first step anyway.
    Then my advice would be to go to Germany and stay there ... 2nd lowest unemployment rate in Europe, high standard of living, lots of cyclists, nice beer .... what's not to like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I would love to go...but can i just go and do tefl over there? Do i have to do tefl here? Can i do it during the summer to be ready for september?

Sorry for the barrage of questions but the prospects of work in this country are slowly leading me to a breakdown :P

• Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

Hi, I am German and I trained as a teacher in Germany. If you want to teach adults, those TEFL or CELTA courses (or whatever they'recalled) will probably be sufficient. If you're thinking of teaching in a secondary school though, you'd have to go through the 2-year teacher training (not something you'll want to do during your PhD, but something worth considering if you want to pursue a career in teaching in the long term). For the time being, I'd focus on language schools and grind schools (such as Schülerhilfe, Studienkreis etc...they have them in most towns and cities). You might not even need any TEFL certificate for that, but better safe than sorry I'd say. Good luck with everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

franzilein wrote: »
    Hi, I am German and I trained as a teacher in Germany. If you want to teach adults, those TEFL or CELTA courses (or whatever they'recalled) will probably be sufficient. If you're thinking of teaching in a secondary school though, you'd have to go through the 2-year teacher training (not something you'll want to do during your PhD, but something worth considering if you want to pursue a career in teaching in the long term). For the time being, I'd focus on language schools and grind schools (such as Schülerhilfe, Studienkreis etc...they have them in most towns and cities). You might not even need any TEFL certificate for that, but better safe than sorry I'd say. Good luck with everything!

thanks for the info! well my level if german is currently qquite low. so tefl is the way forward. but again thanks for.the info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 kleine_schwein

franzilein wrote: »

Hi! would you have any information (websites etc) as to how to get a job teaching English in Germany? I am doing a TEFL course at the moment and Germany is where I'd like to teach. I just dont know how to go about looking for a job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 franzilein

Hi kleines Schwein,
    I'm not sure where is best to look for teaching jobs in language schools, but toytowngermany.com is very useful and it has a jobs section as well. Ec.europa.eu/eures/ might be worth trying as well. If you have a teaching qualification from Ireland (NOT a Tefl certificate but one that would be accepted by the teaching council here as well), you might be able to get it assessed. This would enable you to teach in primary or secondary schools. It then depends on the state how and where you apply, as the education system differs from state to state.

Advertisement