Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alternative to asics kayano

• 09-04-2013 5:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭

Ive being training in asics kayano shoes for years and find them great but they have gotton so expensive im looking for an alternative,can anyone reccommend a similar training shoe only cheaper:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭ger664

In comparison with the cost of Physio/PT visits if you get injured with the wrong shoe. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

If you've been using the same shoe for years then you'll know your size. I've been using the kayanos for years too and because I'm sure abotut my size I keep a look out online for offers. If you're not too fussed on having the latest model you can generally pick up bargains if you persevere. Got a pair on startfitness.co.uk last year for €55. The most I've paid in my last 4 pairs was €70. Keep looking regularly and you'll come across them ! Wouldn't change if they suit you

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pmc56

Thanks for the info. Have been alternating Kayanos with Nike Pegasus shoes but would like to get new Kayanos. Will chsck the site you mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭randomCluster

ger664 wrote: »
    In comparison with the cost of Physio/PT visits if you get injured with the wrong shoe. If it ain't broken don't fix it.

I disagree. Unless you're injury prone there shouldn't be any reason not to try other shoes. The most recent Kayanos are expensive. Get a gait analysis done and see what shoe they recommend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,354 ✭✭✭plodder

They are ridiculously expensive. I'm reluctant to change though also, as having tried other shoes they do seem to suit me. Have got my last two pairs though in the Asics store in Kildare village for around 90 euro. If buying online, make sure there's no confusion over UK vs US sizes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭kit3

Worth checking ebay also - can get lucky depending on your size e.g. pair of ladies 17's size 4 UK that would work out at about €75 with p&P.

I got my last pair from thesportsauthority.com - only problem is that they will only post within the US. I was lucky in that my sister lives in Texas and was coming home on holiday so she brought them back for me. Worked out at €60 with postage to her and taxes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

Unless you're injury prone there shouldn't be any reason not to try other shoes.

To be fair if you are running injury free in a pair of shoes it is likely that the shoe is helping you to minimise the risk of the most common niggles, calf, ITB etc.
    The most recent Kayanos are expensive. Get a gait analysis done and see what shoe they recommend.

I agree with this. The official word from ASICS is that the Irish market was selling way below European prices for a long time (previous distribution company couple of years back) and under pressure from European markets when ASICS UK took over distribution they had to bring the prices in line with mainland Europe. Hence the incremental jumps over the past 2 years.

Load of rubbish if you ask me, but thats the explanation.

Re comparable shoes there are a few, but you need to get in as randoCluster suggests to have suitability checked and shoes recommended to you. The Kayano remains a premium shoe with exception comfort, support and fit. May or may not be important to you.

Advertisement