Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bought Pc online with a faulty Power Supply

Options
  • 09-04-2013 6:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭

I bought a new pc from a crowd called Freshtect Solutions it arrived yesterday and when I turned it on for the first time I got a loud pop I didn't even get to use it once.

I of course got onto them about this immediately and they suggested bringing it to a local repair shop and giving me a partial refund for the PSU of a measly £15 which they say is more than the value of the PSU.

They also said they cant collect it from Ireland but if I send it back at my own expense they will replace it.

What are my options? It would be pricy to send it back and a replacement would probably be the same crap brand PSU anyway. Would I be within my rights to seek reimbursement for whatever I get charged by a repair shop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The legal position under consumer protection law is that the retailer is legally obliged to sort the defect by offering you a repair, replacement or refund, all at no cost to you. That means if you accept a repair the retailer must cover the full repair bill, or if you send it back they must cover the full cost of that.
    If the retailer is based in the EU then your rights are enforceable, but not if they're outside the EU.

Don't bring it to a repair shop until you get written approval from the retailer that they will pay all costs otherwise you could be left with an unauthorised repair, a bill which may not be repaid, and a weakened position if anything more goes wrong in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Send it back !! A PSU doesn't always blow in a nice way ! Who knows what other damage has been done to the PC and its components. If you get someone other than the retailer to replace the PSU and the machine still doesn't work then he has the perfect get-out situation - "they must have put in the wrong PSU (or similar excuse) and damaged the main-board - not our problem anymore !"

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭dilallio

Also, insist that if the issue isn't resolved within 14 days, you will be doing a chargeback with your bank / credit-card company.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

If you used paypal you should open a dispute now and keep it open til you get a full refund. I would push for a refund as you dont know what else is going to go wrong with that unit after the psu went bang.

Advertisement