Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 09/04/2013 to 19/7/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Yes it's expensive but the wages are proportionally higher so in the end it works out at the same as thr cost of living as Ireland.... when you compare it to the wages that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

That_Guy wrote: »
    12 or 14 dollars for mints... LOLZ
    Oh sh1t, I thought it was 'mince'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

signostic wrote: »
    he was paying 12AUD for mints, not surprised he came home..

Mints or Mince?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

he was paying 12AUD for mints, not surprised he came home..
    Think it would have been handier just to give up mints

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

syklops wrote: »
    Mints or Mince?

687474703a2f2f7777772e6265696e6768756d616e636173742e636f6d2f77702d636f6e74656e742f75706c6f6164732f323030392f31302f50726f64506f6c6f30312e6a7067

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

How much is a pint of beer and a pack of smokes out in the colonies?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭AK333

sudzs wrote: »
    Yes it's expensive but the wages are proportionally higher so in the end it works out at the same as thr cost of living as Ireland.... when you compare it to the wages that is.

Oh no it doesn't. Grapes $12.99 a kilo 3 peppers $9.99 (€1.79 in lidl)

I was on AUD 65k - thought I'd be on grand money - I struggled from week to week and luckily my house here was rented out so back I came. it is much much more expensive than here

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

syklops wrote: »
    Mints or Mince?
    330px-Points_of_a_horse.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

A sheila from Castleblaney. Joe is getting with the Aussie lingo.

How much is a pint of beer and a pack of smokes out in the colonies?

Pint is about $10 - $12

Cigarettes are .... wait for it..... $16 PER PACKET

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Is Aussieland in a serious bubble at the moment, which could burst anytime to send thousands of Irish rushing home?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"The cost of living was so high"

*comes back to Ireland*

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Nice to hear Joe describe Australia's cost of living as "astronomical", and well it may be. But closer to Joe's heart and comparing our €160 per year licence fee to what goes on down under I found this....

"....Licence fees were abolished in 1974 by the Australian Labor Party government led by Gough Whitlam on the basis that the near-universality of television and radio services meant that public funding was a fairer method of providing revenue for government-owned radio and television broadcasters...."

AK333 wrote: »
    Pint is about $10 - $12

Cigarettes are .... wait for it..... $16 PER PACKET

:eek:

What people don't seem to realise is that Australia is in the middle of a bubble, just like we had. It's just a matter of time before it goes belly-up.

Is Aussieland in a serious bubble at the moment, which could burst anytime to send thousands of Irish rushing home?

Australia is relying on its natural resources, of which China are their best customer. When they stop buying, their economy will slow down

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

"I'm having too much fun in Australia"

This caller didn't get the memo. You're supposed to talk about how shít it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,061 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Thats James from yesterday on the line.

I'm waiting for him to say "Mr Aussie".

Roger_007 wrote: »
    What people don't seem to realise is that Australia is in the middle of a bubble, just like we had. It's just a matter of time before it goes belly-up.

Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something - Bertie Ahern, 2007

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

AK333 wrote: »
    Australia is relying on its natural resources, of which China are their best customer. When they stop buying, their economy will slow down

When the Chinese stop buying, the whole world will go tits up.

• Advertisement

Would it be too harsh to refuse entry to those who abandoned ship?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The sexism. Lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Sausagefest time.........Mooney does Malmo!

the dancing queen is in Malmo

Mooney in Malmo........that's not half far enough away!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Mooney in Malmo........that's not half far enough away!

Agreed, Baku was a good start, but that's about as far as you can get in "Europe" (as defined by the EBU, that is)

Yakuza wrote: »
    Agreed, Baku was a good start, but that's about as far as you can get in "Europe" (as defined by the EBU, that is)
    Would that not be Jerusalem, which is in West Asia
    Baku is west of the Urals which is acknowledged to be the eastern boundary of Europe

There's not much in it, but in terms of distance from Dublin, according to here and here, Baku shades it by about 300km (Jerusalem is farther south, but Baku farther east)

Azerbaijan joined the EBU a few years ago, so I was using the loose definition of Europe the EBU uses :)

Technically, the EBU covers Russia...so the furthest away would be the Russian Far East, specifically Anadyr, the easternmost town in Russia :)

• Advertisement

Dude, I made a throwaway comment, no need to get all nerdy. You're beginning to sound like Paul G. And those hyperlinked words just make you look like a smartass.

duty_calls.png

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement