Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 09/04/2013 to 19/7/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

There is an appeal process for refusals of medical cards. I wasn't aware that it was via Liveline?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

I cant really comment but is there not a Long Term Illness card which would cover the medicines for this child??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

I like Gary the horse-whisperer! :o

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Roger_007 wrote: »
    There is an appeal process for refusals of medical cards. I wasn't aware that it was via Liveline?

Sometimes it's the only way the HSE will sit up and take notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

If that Specsavers hearing aid ad is any relection of the product they should stick with the spectacles.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Time for the government to get tough with pensioners who don't need medical cards imo. It's ridiculous that families with kids suffering from cancer are having to even fight for medical cards. For cancer, there should be no question of it. We give the fcuking things out like confetti to every pensioner and the "vulnerable" (whatever the fcuk that means).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭Dublin_Mom

sorry but why do people say 'we are doing a favor for the govt' by looking after their own child?
    I mean its very very sad but at the end of the day why should taxpayers money (which might
    be needed elsewhere) go to people who can afford the medicines? The medical card is not there
    to compensate you for having a sick child. it is there to help people who genuinely cannot pay.

I am not trying to sound heartless but seriously has our society got to this situation that people expect to
    ber compensated because they have been dealt a (very) cruel blow?

Joe "That's Ireland 2013".

Too right Joe, the same country that still pays it's broadcasters more than it pays its' leaders, administrators and top public servants.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Joe make any mention of RTE taking 16 million (that could have been put toward these sort of causes) from the state coffers to cover their own debts, including the costs of himself..

If she did get a medical card would it just be the child it covers or the entire family??? I would hope it covers the entire family...as I know if I had a child with cancer I would hope the well being of all family members would be taken care of.

• Advertisement

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    sorry but why do people say 'we are doing a favor for the govt' by looking after their own child?......
    I feel exactly the same way about people care for elderly relatives and they talk about the money they are saving the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

Dublin_Mom wrote: »
    sorry but why do people say 'we are doing a favor for the govt' by looking after their own child?
    I mean its very very sad but at the end of the day why should taxpayers money (which might
    be needed elsewhere) go to people who can afford the medicines? The medical card is not there
    to compensate you for having a sick child. it is there to help people who genuinely cannot pay.

I am not trying to sound heartless but seriously has our society got to this situation that people expect to
    ber compensated because they have been dealt a (very) cruel blow?

It's not a question of being "compensated". It's bad enough with the worry of having a child who's seriously ill, without having the extra worry of the medical expenses on top of that.

the word "inoperable cancer" should be enough for a medical card to be granted.

sudzs wrote: »
    I like Gary the horse-whisperer! :o
    Otherwise known as Fr Jack.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

PauloMN wrote: »
    Time for the government to get tough with pensioners who don't need medical cards imo. It's ridiculous that families with kids suffering from cancer are having to even fight for medical cards. For cancer, there should be no question of it. We give the fcuking things out like confetti to every pensioner and the "vulnerable" (whatever the fcuk that means).

A 3rd of the population get the medical card no questions asked(effectively), but in about 2 hours time Im going to spend 50 euro to get a prescription renewed for Mrs Syklops, plus what ever the prescription costs. Instead of the gargantuan mountains of wasted time and paper, why not have a default level of care which is free for everyone. They manage it in other countries much worse off than us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

syklops wrote: »
    A 3rd of the population get the medical card no questions asked(effectively), but in about 2 hours time Im going to spend 50 euro to get a prescription renewed for Mrs Syklops, plus what ever the prescription costs. Instead of the gargantuan mountains of wasted time and paper, why not have a default level of care which is free for everyone. They manage it in other countries much worse off than us.
    My aunt pays for the top VHI programme and yet she uses the GP visit card to get free gp visits. There's something seriously wrong with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

nothing like a good cup of lyons or barry's to get ya through the day...

Joe must have one of the easiest jobs in the country. Let them talk away among themselves and every now and then repeat something obvious so as to get the whole thing back on track.

is it tea time yet Joe, you must be parched with all that hard work.

When i was in college every farmer in the country was on a medical card.

This girls thesis should be a good read :o))

"2 pense"....feck have they ditched the euro?!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

Moron with a degree in Health Services management thinks food from a chipper is appropriate for her sick child

Illustrates how an education can be a waste

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

shhhhhh.

• Advertisement

A medical card is for people who can't afford to pay. It has nothing to do with what illness you have??

The mock exasperation of de-man-o'-de-peeple.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Some of those accents are giving me a headache

ThisRegard wrote: »
    It's now "The great recession". What was it last week, "The Unpleasantness" or something like that ?

The Gadddering :D

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

Roger_007 wrote: »
    A medical card is for people who can't afford to pay. It has nothing to do with what illness you have??

better ear candy when you throw in the cancer and leukemia... a discussion on just medical cards would be dull.... hahahahha

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭my friend

The voices of entitlement

Get back to work suckers

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

These women are heroes imo. Fair play to them. I hope they have the will to keep fighting, and I hope they get their rewards. It's heart-breaking that this ****hole country would even let this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Meathlass

Wouldn't you feel sorry for the public servants having to deal with confrontational women like this every day.

She doesn't have time to fill out forms but can spend time on liveline.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

And we are spending 630 million p.a. on overseas aid. Just reduce this a little bit and help out these families with children with long-term illnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭artful_codger

Good ole HSE managers protecting their own T&C's by fcuking over sick people.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement