Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Liveline thread 09/04/2013 to 19/7/2013

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Speak in English woman..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

TheVman wrote: »
    mad story from china. thay also have baby milk powder that kills the babbies. And a one child per family legislation.....

Thought they had scrapped the one child per couple policy, as they had villages full of males and no females.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Tisserand

I know people will start having reservations now about creches, but how does any parent know that if they leave their child with 'somebody they know' that the same stuff isn't happening. Serious question. The toddler can't tell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

the_monkey wrote: »
    Absolutely, I do too, but saying they are a gift from God is arrogant and selfish.

How's that arrogant and selfish?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

signostic wrote: »
    Thought they had scrapped the one child per couple policy, as they had villages full of males and no females.

AFAIK, if you're wealthy enough, you can have as many as you can support (no suprise there, different rules for the wealthy - good old Capitalist China)

Also, AFAIK, if your first child is a daughter, you can have another (in some rural regions), but if you're living in an urban setting, one is all you get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

completely lost with this girl.... what is she talking about...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭the_monkey

Yakuza wrote: »
    If I'd been trying for years, or on a waiting list for adoption, or after spending thousands on IVF, I might look on a child in such a fashion. Why what *he* thinks of *his* child warrants such a disparaging post from you escapes me.
    Because its disrespectfull to anyone who has lost a child or who can't have kids - what makes him so special ???

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Because its disrespectfull to anyone who has lost a child or who can't have kids - what makes him so special ???

Because he's his son. Your point is quite baffling to be honest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,872 ✭✭✭Sittingpretty

I'm baffled by your logic. To each their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Yakuza wrote: »
    AFAIK, if you're wealthy enough, you can have as many as you can support (no suprise there, different rules for the wealthy - good old Capitalist China)

Also, AFAIK, if your first child is a daughter, you can have another (in some rural regions), but if you're living in an urban setting, one is all you get.

At the moment it only applies to about a third of Chinese people

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

How do you know that he hasn't lost a child, spent years doing IVF and/or adoption?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

I really find how you can twist the positive and loving thing he said about his own child into something negative quite bizzarre.

I doubt that even someone who had lost a child would bedgruge another parent expressing love for theirs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Tisserand wrote: »
    I know people will start having reservations now about creches, but how does any parent know that if they leave their child with 'somebody they know' that the same stuff isn't happening. Serious question. The toddler can't tell.

I suppose if you leave your child with a person, you get a feel for the person when you interview them for the job, you see how your child is with them when you bring them to their care in the morning, and you see how they are with them when you come and collect them. With a creche, the nice smiley manager is not necessarily the same person who is looking after your child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

This wan is a bit over the top isnt she..

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭TheVman

syklops wrote: »
    I suppose if you leave your child with a person, you get a feel for the person when you interview them for the job, you see how your child is with them when you bring them to their care in the morning, and you see how they are with them when you come and collect them. With a creche, the nice smiley manager is not necessarily the same person who is looking after your child.

the fundamental difference between a nanny and a creche. Agreed.

syklops wrote: »

I take your point, however, I believe that many grandparents in particular are not as tolerant and as "p.c." (if I can use that dreaded phrase) as the parents of these days are. When I was a toddler, I was put in a playpen, as were my siblings. I know if my parents were alive, and were minding their grandchildren, they wouldn't have the patience for small children, not because they are older but because even when they were parents, they weren't as tuned in as to how important a child's formative years are. I still over hear grandparents expressing exhasperation when witnessing an unruly todler and the word 'clatter across the behind' being a familiar expression.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,351 ✭✭✭✭Harry Angstrom

I hope those abusive "child minders" who were featured in last night's programme are prosecuted for assault and child abuse, although seeing as this is Ireland, I wouldn't be banking on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

I take your point, however, I believe that many grandparents in particular are not as tolerant and as "p.c." (if I can use that dreaded phrase) as the parents of these days are. When I was a toddler, I was put in a playpen, as were my siblings. I know if my parents were alive, and were minding their grandchildren, they wouldn't have the patience for small children, not because they are older but because even when they were parents, they weren't as tuned in as to how important a child's formative years are. I still over hear grandparents expressing exhasperation when witnessing an unruly todler and the word 'clatter across the behind' being a familiar expression.
    What's wrong with a playpen? I put my son (15 months) in a playpen.

/waits to appear on a Primetime expose/

I hope those abusive "child minders" who were featured in last night's programme are prosecuted for assault and child abuse, although seeing as this is Ireland, I wouldn't be banking on it.

I was just going to ask the same thing, does anybody know if they can be publically named

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

I take your point but if my mother told me how to raise my baby id tell her where to go, and when she minds him she takes my advice and approach how to mind him and not go on her experience of raising 4 kids and a wheelchair bound husband with MS.

• Advertisement

What's wrong with a playpen? I put my son (15 months) in a playpen.

/waits to appear on a Primetime expose/

Don't have children myself - honestly thought they didn't exist any more.

Well I trust my mother or father to do what is in the best interests of my theoretical child. If I didn't then I wouldn't leave them in their care. Same for anyone else.

joe316 wrote: »
    I take your point but if my mother told me how to raise my baby id tell her where to go, and when she minds him she takes my advice and approach how to mind him and not go on her experience of raising 4 kids and a wheelchair bound husband with MS.
    You're lucky though that she listens to you. My MIL says "Oh mammy doesn't like xy and z, but I'll do it my way when I'm minding you, won't I, BabyIvy?"

She SKY PLUSSED IT :eek:.

I hope she doesnt complain now that she has no money

Don't have children myself - honestly thought they didn't exist any more.
    So if you had a child that can crawl...where do you put them when you need to have pee? Or a shower? :)

(Don't worry, these are things I never thought of before I had a kid myself!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

"Boss of Little Harvard on Line two Joe"

Business-Guide-for-Kids.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

The PR machine is kicking in :rolleyes:

You're lucky though that she listens to you. My MIL says "Oh mammy doesn't like xy and z, but I'll do it my way when I'm minding you, won't I, BabyIvy?"

Lovely name, Mrs Terrible :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭joe316

Whats the betting this one has the manager about to scream into her face if doesnt big it up enough.

• Advertisement

10 mins to go. That show flew today. Doesn't automatically mean it was a good show.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement